Anything wrong with going to Sorrento first?

gottacruisemore

I will be in Naples on Oct. 3, 2017 (Tuesday) and from research I know that the Naples National Archaeological Museum is closed, as well as Capello Sanservo. So I was thinking of doing Sorrento and Herculaneum or Pompeii (still haven't decided, but leaning towards Herculaneum). Most suggestions are to get to the ruins early, but other than the heat is it a mistake to got to Sorrento first? My thinking is start farther out and work my way back to the ship.

Any insight is appreciated.

I think it's a good idea as long as you can deal with the heat.

Another good reason for doing it this way is that the stores in Sorrento tend to close from 1-3 pm (or even later) for a lunch or siesta. So if you are there during that time many stores are closed. (Restaurants and some of the more touristy stores remain open.)

I think it's fine. You can take the 9 AM ferry from Molo Beverello (adjacent to the cruise port) and be in Sorrento 45 minutes later.

When you're ready to head to Pompei or Herculeneum just hop on the Circumvesuviana train.

When you get back to Naples if you get off the train at the penultimate stop (Garibaldi) you can get the line 1 metro to Municipio, across the street from the cruise port.

thanks cruisemom.

I think it's fine. You can take the 9 AM ferry from Molo Beverello (adjacent to the cruise port) and be in Sorrento 45 minutes later.

When you're ready to head to Pompei or Herculeneum just hop on the Circumvesuviana train.

When you get back to Naples if you get off the train at the penultimate stop (Garibaldi) you can get the line 1 metro to Municipio, across the street from the cruise port.

thanks euro cruiser.

i had planned on hiring a driver, but i will look into what you have suggested.

toni

That's exactly what we did.

9am ferry, beer on Sorrento harbour, 1 euro shuttlebus up to town (tho' there's an elevator somewhere), meandered the town, station is just a couple of blocks from the centre, half-hourly Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum (station name Ercolano Scavi).

About a 20 minute walk from the station down to the site, or there's a shuttlebus at about 4 euros round-trip.

Plenty of shade at Herculaneum :)

And all very compact and manageable.

Audio-guide or guides available.

Worth mebbe 90 minutes to 2 hours for the average tourist.

Then back on the same half-hourly train.

JB :)