Olden, Norway

Strawberry field

We took a local bus to the Briksdale glacier. There is a bus stop just outside the pier area. It wasn't expensive and other ship pax were there waiting as well. It wasn't too long a ride and the bus dropped us off in a parking lot. There was a gift shop and bathrooms there. Then we walked up a big windy hill past waterfalls, goats, streams, etc. until we got to the top. There is a sandy beach there and the glacier is not too far away. You can't go right up to the glacier because there is water in between. It wasn't a difficult walk and it was really beautiful.

We went back down afterwards, checked out the gift shop for a bit and then took a bus back. The bus passes through the little town before reaching the ship so we, and some others, got off there to explore the few stores that were there. It wasn't a long walk back to the ship. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

We thought this was an excellent and really inexpensive way to spend our time there.

It's an easy walk from the ship to the village where there a few shops cafes and a supermarket. It's a lovely village with a small church which is well worth a visit.

We loved Olden simply for its charm.

I agree it's a lovely quant port to walk around. As you get off there are a few shops in front of you. Then walk to the right go left and there's not a lot of see. You will come across more shops and the church on the hill. keep walking and you will will be on the other side of the water and you will get a wonderful view of the ship.

We stopped there on the Indy about 5 years ago and for us it was one of the best port stops on our cruise. As we pulled in it was very misty, then as we were looking over at the ship the mist lifted and all of a sudden the mountains behind came in to view.

I'm sure you have a wonderful stop there.

Thanks to all as it's given us something to work on what to do in Olden. I like the idea of the bus trip up to the glacier and also the village walk :)

This is only our second cruise and comes a year after our first.......in other words we are still learning :D

I think Olden is all about the countryside around, the village is small & not particularly exciting, certainly no rival to Stavanger or Bergen!

There are several trips available immediately you leave the ship, a couple of different scenic bus tours, also mini bus trips to Briksdal. Be aware that the public bus to Briksdal runs only in the height of summer, it had stopped by mid September.

if you don't want to/ aren't able to walk for around 1 hour to the glacier & back you can book a 'troll car', a cute little open mini jeep thing, lots of fun!

You can save a lot of money booking this yourself direct with Briksdal & using either the bus or minibus from the port. it's a great trip.

I think we are going to wait and see what tours are available when we get there. Perhaps if there's nothing we particularly want to do then we will have a stroll around and then take advantage of a half empty ship. Doing nothing is always a welcome option for us as we are happy to watch the world go by:D

Thanks all :)

I think we are going to wait and see what tours are available when we get there. Perhaps if there's nothing we particularly want to do then we will have a stroll around and then take advantage of a half empty ship. Doing nothing is always a welcome option for us as we are happy to watch the world go by:D

A word of warning trips sell out quickly in the Fjords. Last year there were only 3 excursions available when we arrived on the ship. I think another couple were arranged but not the most popular ones.

This might be a stupid question, but is it very cold by the glacier? I had assumed it would be, but I think I've seen pictures of people walking near it in t-shirts in the summer.

No it's no colder than the ambient temperature. Sadly the glacier is so far in retreat that you can see the tip but nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a little land train that pulled up next to the ship when we were in Olden, looked fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums