San Juan, P.R.

pepere133

Will be in this port for 7 hours. Don't see anything that appeals to me with the ship's excursion selection.

Anyone have suggestions within walking distance of the dock?:D

Assuming that you will be docked in Old Town, which I think you will, everything in Old Town San Juan is within walking distance of the ship. I might consider starting by either walking or taking the free shuttle up the hill to the forts (National Park Service run), seeing what you want, and then meandering back down. There are a ton of shops that sell regular "port" stuff (t-shirts, etc...) and plenty of shops that have a nicer array of merchandise (and some that sell both). There are also several good restaurants in Old Town.

I hope this help some!

dctravel

Assuming that you will be docked in Old Town, which I think you will, everything in Old Town San Juan is within walking distance of the ship. I might consider starting by either walking or taking the free shuttle up the hill to the forts (National Park Service run), seeing what you want, and then meandering back down. There are a ton of shops that sell regular "port" stuff (t-shirts, etc...) and plenty of shops that have a nicer array of merchandise (and some that sell both). There are also several good restaurants in Old Town.

This is exactly what we did - free shuttle to both forts and walked DOWNHILL back to the ship. Stopped in a church near the second fort and hit a number of shops and a park on the way.

A tip - when you get off the ship there should be a shuttle stop nearby (they are marked). However, walk about 1-2 blocks further to the previous shuttle stop, as often the one by the ship is lined up and the shuttle fills up fast.

As the ship approaches San Juan, you will want to be out on the deck -- especially port side -- to see El Moro Castle as you head towards the dock.

Then take the shuttle up to it and tour the Castle and walk back to the ship.

And on your way back from the castle, go through town and stop at Barrachina's for the best Mojito you've ever had. Sit at the bar to watch the bartender in action.

Also birthplace of the Piña Colada if that's your preference.

Off the beaten path Pigeon Park was interesting and free. http://www.conoceapuertorico.com/parque-de-las-palomas/ (most browsers have a translate button). Bring some popcorn or birdseed and watch where you step. ;)

There is an interesting small shrine near there with an interesting story behind it:

https://www.uncommoncaribbean.com/2010/09/21/uncommon-attraction-capilla-del-cristo-chapel-old-san-juan/

As it happened we found refuge there from a brief cloudburst - along with 100 or so other people.

We always just walk around Old Town and shop with a stop at Barrachina (the birthplace of the Pina Colada) for an original Pina Colada and some lunch.

If you're there until nighttime, it's wonderful to be out on deck to watch sail away. The city is beautiful in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a walking food tour through the old town that was fun. Something different...kind of like a progressive meal with a tour guide. We went from restaurant to restaurant with touring of key sights in between as the guide gave us the history of what we were seeing. Had a breakfast sandwich at one stop, drink at another, snack at another, main meal at another, dessert at another...well, you get the picture. There were maybe 10-15 in our group. It was not a difficult walk, and of course, stops were all along the way. You can Google food tours in San Juan or somerhing similar to find companies that do it.

Agree with the poster who said be out on deck when arriving and departing because the views of the castle, city and sea wall are spectacular!

Will be in this port for 7 hours. Don't see anything that appeals to me with the ship's excursion selection.

Anyone have suggestions within walking distance of the dock?:D

Nothing there. But take a cab to the largest Mall in the Carbbean, $8 each way for 2. Well worth it. The crew goes there, and thy should know!

Here is a link to the free trolley site. Scroll down and you will find a map. It is a great way to get around Old Town.

My previous advice to walk past the first stop near the pier (#1 on the map) means to go to #14 on the map - to avoid the crowds at stop #1. A 2-3 minute walk.

This is a wonderful port for wandering and snacking. Great ocean breezes and vistas of the harbor. Stroll through the Old Town and down towards the old cemetery, fort, and other churches throughout the area. Don't miss Casa Cortes Choco Bar on San Francisco Street. Great service - loads of lovely chocolate drinks and eats. Enjoy the day!!