Shore Excursion Credits

Grampyshottub

My wife and I will be cruising on the POA next year. We received an email stating that NCL is increasing their gratuities as of April 1st for the whole cruise line. We pre paid ours when we booked keeping in mind that so far out the charge would only increase. So therefore we are locked in at the lower price. Because it is Hawaii they do not offer the free UBP like on our Bermuda cruise. That would have been a no brainer. What they do offer are "Free Shore Excursion Credits". Has anyone ever used this offer? Does anyone know how much of a credit do they offer, and what are the excursions that are offered? Some of the tours for PH are free if you get there early, but we're not sure about the other Islands. Would we be better off to do the specialty dining offer? We really don't want to get caught up in a bait & switch.

These are the current terms for the shore excursion credit as part of the Hawaii Free At Sea promotion. You should find the terms that were in effect for your booking, in case they are different.

$50 USD Per Port Shore Excursion Credit:

$50 USD shore excursion credit is per stateroom.

Limit 4 ports. Credit has no monetary value and is nonrefundable.

Itineraries visiting less than 4 ports for any reason are not eligible for a refund or credit.

In the event a port of call or excursion is missed for any reason, guests are not eligible for a refund or credit.

Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, including debarkation port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it.

Does not include embarkation ports. Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

Don't ask me why they mention Bermuda. Maybe they are considering some exciting new itineraries for POA. :D

My wife and I will be cruising on the POA next year. We received an email stating that NCL is increasing their gratuities as of April 1st for the whole cruise line. We pre paid ours when we booked keeping in mind that so far out the charge would only increase. So therefore we are locked in at the lower price. Because it is Hawaii they do not offer the free UBP like on our Bermuda cruise. That would have been a no brainer. What they do offer are "Free Shore Excursion Credits". Has anyone ever used this offer? Does anyone know how much of a credit do they offer, and what are the excursions that are offered? Some of the tours for PH are free if you get there early, but we're not sure about the other Islands. Would we be better off to do the specialty dining offer? We really don't want to get caught up in a bait & switch.

You book all of your shore excursions in advance (any excursion that they offer) using the special number shown above.

The shore excursion costs are added to your onboard account. Once you have completed the shore excursion, a $50 credit is posted to your onboard account. Note that all of your overnight stays are counted as one port (one $50 credit) eventhough you may take multiple shore excursions while you are in port (e.g. excursion during the day, luau at night, another excursion the next day).

wrt Bermuda, they make the distinction because the ships from NY and Boston dock for 3 successive days at the Royal Navy Shipyard and it is the only port call on the cruise.

I don't understand what you mean by "Some of the tours for PH are free if you get there early, but we're not sure about the other Islands."

If you choose the free shore excursion credits you will get a $50 credit per cabin per port IF you take a NCL excursion. It's not a bait and switch if you plan to do NCL excursions; but it's not useful if you plan to rent a car or do your own thing.

If you plan on taking NCL excursions that definitely more valuable than SDP. Otherwise, SDP has more value.