Japanese Cruise

Anyone travelled to Japan recently?

If you have what was the time of year and were the cherry blossoms in bloom?

Also what airline did you travel with?

How this is not too many questions, but thinking of planning a cruise to Japan early 2018.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm heading up in a couple of weeks so expect to enjoy the blossoms in Tokyo, I've been 20+ times and love it - finding something new and interesting on each visit. I'm flying Qantas then cruising from Tokyo to LA on Crystal Symphony. If you want to see Japan I would recommend a land tour as opposed to a cruise - maybe a combo of both would work too, but you need time in places like Tokyo and Kyoto to take in the sights

Cherry Blossom season varies from where you are in the country - it moves from west to east - here's the forecast timing for 2017 @ http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

You can travel on Qantas, JAL or ANA on direct flights to Tokyo - look for flights that land at Haneda airport as opposed to Narita - Haneda is very close to Tokyo city where as Narita is approx. 1 hour away

Are you looking at the Princess repositioning cruise to Yokohama, Sailaway John?

We're booked on that one and I'm hoping we might arrive in time to see some blossoms.

Even if you are too late for Tokyo you might be lucky to see blossoms up in the mountains. We did a trip to Japan some years ago, in May so too late for blossom in Tokyo. We did a day trip to Nikko which included a drive up a mountain to a lakeside town, Chizenjo-ko, for lunch. Due to the cooler climate from the altitude the blossom season was in full swing there.

My son was in Japan the year before last (2015) from the 5th April for 10 days with a school tour. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom in Tokyo. By the end of the 10 days the teachers and students were totally over the cherry blossoms. The blossoms looked absolutely stunning in all their photos.

I have been to Japan since 2012 on cruise ships and am going again this year on the Diamond Princess again.

If you are only going to see the cherry blossoms I would suggest a land based holiday in the season linked to a cruise before or after your land based event.

I have flown Qantas and Jetstar (to try out the new airliner). I prefer flying into Haneda. I like July for the summer festivals and also November for the spring colour change.

I can speak Japanese and find it easy to get around by use of public transport and it is much more cost effective if you are doing it independently opposed to an organised tour.

I have been to Japan since 2012 on cruise ships and am going again this year on the Diamond Princess again.

If you are only going to see the cherry blossoms I would suggest a land based holiday in the season linked to a cruise before or after your land based event.

I have flown Qantas and Jetstar (to try out the new airliner). I prefer flying into Haneda. I like July for the summer festivals and also November for the spring colour change.

I can speak Japanese and find it easy to get around by use of public transport and it is much more cost effective if you are doing it independently opposed to an organised tour.

Think you may mean Autumn here, especially if you are referring to the foliage.

I agree, you really need a bit of time (two weeks) to ensure that you are there when the cherry blossoms come out.