Talent Show Question

texas greeneyes

Are prizes given out for the guest talent show? If so, what are they usually? Also, does anyone know if there would be drums available, should there be a drummer needing them, to accompany my guitar playing nephew and his friend, the bass player? Thanks!

On the Conquest, there was no single winner. Everyone received a certificate and a bottle of champagne.

And the singers were all accompanied by the Conquest Orchestra, so I'd imagine there would be a drum set available (but the drummer would probably want to be the one playing them himself, rather than loaning them out to a passenger).

This past week on the Conquest, the participants of the Talent Show were each given a signed certificate from the Captain, a bottle of champagne and a medallion to wear around the neck. There are no winners or losers just participants. The Conquest band played as back up for the participants, they had a drummer although I'm not sure if it's possible to use his drum set.

When I was on Conquest they gave everyone the "24 kt gold (plastic) ship" and a bottle of champagne. Except the girl who was under age...They gave the champagne to her mom.

was that this past August?? I thought they did away with theplastic sship on a stick

was that this past August?? I thought they did away with theplastic sship on a stick

No, now that I read this they were giving the plastic ship also on the Conquest just in October.

I forgot about that, even though I had to yell "plastic" every time.

On the Conquest for the talent show, they did let one girl play the electric piano that was in use by the band.

I remember it vividly in my head because the girl sang an original composition, which was also an evangelical Christian ballad praising Jesus, and I felt it was inappropriate for a crowd with such a wide variety of people and the high likelihood that not all of them (or even a majority of them) were evangelical Christians. As a non-evangelical-Christian, I was disappointed that I was "ministered to" on the cruise ship through the talent show.

So that's probably more information than anyone needed, but that's how I remember they let her play the piano.

Just off the Miracle, where my husband came in second in the Carnival Legends (i.e., Carnival Idol) contest. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners received a bottle of champagne and a medal. The first place winner also received a Carnival Legend t-shirt.

There was a contestant who borrowed the band's keyboard. They seemed happy to lend it to him.

Have a great cruise!!

and the band members will not lend out their instruments. The only exception I have ever seen was the keyboards. On the Spirit in July, we received a certificate (which we always get) , a ship on a stick (sometimes it is the medallion instead of the ship on a stick) and a bottle of champagne (which I gave to the first lady who complimented me for my singing immediately after the show was over).

I can understand them allowing the use of the keyboards, because it would be extremely difficult to hurt a keyboard while playing a song. Since drums (and other instruments) are damaged more easily, (and because these musicians own their own instruments) there is no loaning them out.

They will accompany you in any manner you request.

Personally, I always bring my custom cd because I sing gospel and as talented as the orchestra is...they don't know this particular song.

I have seen cruisers bring their own flutes, violins, banjos and guitars....but never a set of drums...that probably would be more than a bit difficult.

As for Christmas songs, that would be appropriate.

Funny Story...

My niece was on a Carnvial cruise with her school that she takes vocal lessons with. They performed on the ship. She was in the Keorke bar singing and someone from the ship invited her to be part of the talent show. I guess you have to be 18 to participte in the talent show. She was 16, he never asked...

So after when they talked to her on stage and asked her a few questions he then realized that she was 16 and wized her off the stage real fast... My sister had no idea that you had to be a certain age... We watched the tape and the look on the guys face was great!

Funny Story...

My niece was on a Carnvial cruise with her school that she takes vocal lessons with. They performed on the ship. She was in the Keorke bar singing and someone from the ship invited her to be part of the talent show. I guess you have to be 18 to participte in the talent show. She was 16, he never asked...

So after when they talked to her on stage and asked her a few questions he then realized that she was 16 and wized her off the stage real fast... My sister had no idea that you had to be a certain age... We watched the tape and the look on the guys face was great!

My cruise was in the end of this September...Plastic ship still in full force on Conquest! It wasn't on a stick though...it was like a little trophy. Is that the same as what everyone's talking about??

Is that the same as what everyone's talking about??
Similar, but not the same. This is the lesser-known "Ship on the C" (look at the wave that the ship is perched upon), distant cousin to the ubiquitous Ship on a Stick.

I was on the Talent Show on Conquest 11-6, the talent show was on friday night at 10:30pm. rehersals was thursday at 4:15 pm right after we set sail from Grand Caymon Islands.. they say that they only except 6 on the show but i think there was 8 on our cruise... the sign up book comes out that thursday morning at 7:am so if you want to be on the talent show you better be waiting for the book at 7 am it fills up quick!!!! it is NOT a contest on Conquest, you do recieve a certificate , bottle of champane, and a 24k gold plactic trophy....but best of all you can buy the Talent Show video for $19.95..... as far as using the drums dont plan on it I dont think thats gonna happen... you can have the band back you up OR you can take your own CD (recommended) ... there was a guy there that could not use the band because they have limited sheet music available and didnt have his song and they will not play it unless its on sheet music!!! hope this helps have a safe cruise and lots of sunny weather !!!

so be sure to read your Capers.

I have been on 3 ships that used the sign up book.

The rest have announced a time and place in the Capers for everyone to gather. If more than 6 - 8 gather, then everyone's name goes into a "hat" and 6 - 8 (depending on the size of the ship) are pulled out - regardless of what your talent is.

Here are some tips: regardless of which way they do it, if you are not the first 6 - 8 to sign up or your name does not get picked....go to the rehearsal anyway and tell the Social Host in charge that you are ready to be an alternate if anyone bails. It never fails....people get nervous or they can't find a song. The reasons are endless. But if you are there at the rehearsal, (ready to go) then they can slide you in. Don't wait until the actual talent show, that is to late.

a ship on a stick I won for Karaoke on the Conquest...

Now, I want to get one from the Celebration to match it...

This time I will learn how to sign up for the Talent Contest

when I get on the ship.

I just hope I don't sing something to offend any one...

after all, I sang "Amazing Grace" one night at Karaoke...

Archived