Authentic Mexican - close to port

Gamecock_Cruiser

Looks like the OP will dock on the Puerta Maya Pier.

At the pier shopping is an outlet for Pancho's Back Yard that is well liked by cruisers. The main one downtown is very popular.

There used to be a blue food truck across from the International Pier which is just a short walk from Puerta Maya. Great street tacos!!! Not sure if it's still there with the changes at that pier and the new Margaritaville.

If on the other hand you are looking for authentic local Mexican/Yucatan style food, IMO you're better off taking a taxi to one of the loncherias or comida economicas downtown. Los Chilangos on Avenida 10 and Call3 13 Sur, might be the closest. These are very inexpensive. Most of them don't speak English, cater to locals. Tonitas on Rosada Sales and Ave 10; Tamarindos' on 30 Ave and Calle 7 Sur; Las Flamitas on 25 Ave and Calle 13 Sur are others to look for.

If you would be interested in a food tour. Check out Cozumel Chef - food tour. You will be taken by van to 5-6 different locations where you will be able to various local foods. They will be in everyday neighborhoods., We recently did this tour and loved it. You will met your guide at the Mega, which is a large grocery store.

While La Choza, Casa Denis, the tacquerias and the loncherias all have good "authentic" Yucatan/ Mexican food, let's remember that the OP wanted something close to the cruise pier, Puerta Maya, so downtown would not be "close" to PM, but a taxi ride away, although worth the $ and time to head there.

I'm guessing that while not truly "authentic", i.e., Yucatan, Ernestos a short walk toward town could be a place to go. Red building with a palapa awning. Nice deck outside. Great breakfasts, but specialty is fajitas, although I think the tortillas are made there. Paprikas near Park Royal is another small place with some different spins on what Americans typically think of as Mexican food.

While La Choza, Casa Denis, the tacquerias and the loncherias all have good "authentic" Yucatan/ Mexican food, let's remember that the OP wanted something close to the cruise pier, Puerta Maya, so downtown would not be "close" to PM, but a taxi ride away, although worth the $ and time to head there.

I'm guessing that while not truly "authentic", i.e., Yucatan, Ernestos a short walk toward town could be a place to go. Red building with a palapa awning. Nice deck outside. Great breakfasts, but specialty is fajitas, although I think the tortillas are made there. Paprikas near Park Royal is another small place with some different spins on what Americans typically think of as Mexican food.

A 5 minute taxi ride to town is close, IMHO.

• 1 month later...

If any of you have eaten at Casa Denis or Pancho's Backyard, please offer your critiques. We're considering one of them for lunch during a stop in Cozumel. My wife can't handle very spicy or hot food due to acid reflux (that may be a factor). Thanks!

IMO, probably better off with Panchos BackYard over Casa Denis. More selections, and Casa Denis cooks in the Yucatan fashion for Yucatan tastes. Also look up La Mission, they have more Americanized selections. But most places in Mexico do cook with spices. These are not necessarily screaming hot chili peppers, but nevertheless, the combination may no sit well with people who aren't used to the flavoring and style.

Casa Denis food can be very spicy. The Mayan selections on menu will not be....ask for sure. The waiters are helpful. It is more tradiional regional food for Yucatan. Panchos Backyard is more upscale traditional Mexican.(I would guess the one at cruise ship dock has same menu as downtown, which is where we have eaten once). Personally, we like the Yucatecan food better...more fish or chicken and pork in citrus sauces. Totally different food profile.

If any of you have eaten at Casa Denis or Pancho's Backyard, please offer your critiques. We're considering one of them for lunch during a stop in Cozumel. My wife can't handle very spicy or hot food due to acid reflux (that may be a factor). Thanks!

We have been to Pancho's Backyard (downtown), but not Casa Denis. I also have acid reflux and do not recall anyone in our party commenting that anything was too spicy (I am actually the one who LIKES spicy !!! ;p ). It was a couple years ago and I don't recall what we ordered, but do know that we all really liked our choices. We will be there next week and may stop there again. Great margaritas !!! :D