Free at Sea Recommendations

FishersFrogs

Can anyone recommend an approach to Free at Sea for a family of 5? We have selected gratuities and upgraded meals, but as I've been reading reviews I'm unsure if the meals is much of a perk? The NCL agent describe it as a waived cover charge for the upgraded restaurants, but some of the cruise critic/trip advisor reviews seemed to suggest that is is more of a discount and not even available for all restaurants. Can anyone clarify that?

Also does the gratuity cover everything?

If you believe another option is a better deal please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Are all 5 family members getting the free meals or just the first two in the cabin? Kids eat free off the kids menu in specialty restaurants, DS1 also orders spaghetti and has it served without charge at Le Bistro.

Our boys enjoy Moderno, Teppanyaki and DS2 loves Le Bistro. Usually the free at sea covers a "regular" meal, some restaurants have special upcharge meals (eg the beef for 2 at Le Bistro) which aren't covered. If in doubt ask the waiter before ordering.

Do make sure you're not confusing the free at sea meal requirements with the new platinum latitudes meals as the terms and conditions are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you will want to read the fine print of the free at sea promotion really really careful. as per the fine print:

Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar):

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Specialty Dining Package:

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

*Friends & Family / Extra Guests Sail Free (3rd & 4th Guest):

Offer valid for guests 3-4 sharing a stateroom with guests 1-2 paying full fare. Offer only valid on select sailings.

Pre-Paid Service Charges:

Pre-Paid Service Charges are applicable to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom 3 years of age and up.

3rd & 4th Guest Sail Free:

Offer valid for guests 3-4 sharing a stateroom with guests 1-2 paying full fare.

If you can get 3rd/4th free with your sailing that's certainly the best for a family of 5.

Gratuities are worth just under $200 if you have a one week cruise. Gratuities for 5 on a 7 day cruise cost $490, so since they first two pass get free gratuities you'll only get charged $294.

SDP gets you 3 free meals, again for the first two pass only. So, if you are planning on the whole family eating together you will either be out of pocket for the kids or they will have to order off the ship wide kids meal. But, at best SDP is worth $138

Shore excursions is worthless, across 5 people you'll save $10 pp on shore excursions; you can do something on your own much cheaper

Internet would be good if you think you'll buy it anyway. No service charge or obligation to purchase anything else.

So my first choice would be 3rd/4th free + gratuities

My second choice would be gratuities + internet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums