Colosseum Underground Tour

lifeasme123

As someone with a huge interest in all things pertaining to ancient Rome, I can say that I found the "special" underground tour to be overhyped. The underground area of the Colosseum is not very well preserved (relative to, for example, the amphitheatre in Pozzuoli outside Naples). And I had visited the third tier years ago when it was routinely open -- it's more of a photo op for the surrounding areas than anything else.

As to the night tour, I cannot for the life of me understand the draw of that particular tour -- the Colosseum was never meant to be used at night, and you can see all of the detail SO much better during daylight hours.

I would just book the regular tour unless, for some reason, you just HAVE to see the (poorly preserved) underground level. These were not dungeons (as some often call them incorrectly), but areas where props and caged wild beasts were "staged" during the games.

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has done the Colosseum Underground or Night Tour? I am debating on doing either one of these or the regular Coloseeum tour.

Thanks!

We enjoyed the underground tour, and really enjoyed having access to the top level which came with that tour. I don't know if it's still restricted or not but it was when we did that tour in 2012. One of the nice things about the underground tour is that we bought our tickets in advance, we had no wait at all and the guide we had for the tour was very knowledgeable. If you've never been I think it's worth it.

We enjoyed the underground tour, and really enjoyed having access to the top level which came with that tour. I don't know if it's still restricted or not but it was when we did that tour in 2012. One of the nice things about the underground tour is that we bought our tickets in advance, we had no wait at all and the guide we had for the tour was very knowledgeable. If you've never been I think it's worth it.

Restriction is even more then before for security reason :(

Well worth it. You are away from the crowds and basically have the area to yourselves

How often do you get to stand in a 2000yo structure basically alone if you tail behind ?

I did this and really enjoyed contemplating who walked my same path 2000 years earlier

Well worth it. You are away from the crowds and basically have the area to yourselves

How often do you get to stand in a 2000yo structure basically alone if you tail behind ?

I did this and really enjoyed contemplating who walked my same path 2000 years earlier

Exactly. We were with a group of about 12 people and it was incredible.

Lifeasme123 not trying to take your thread, but I have a question about the Colosseum Underground too. Can I just go online and book the underground tour and entrance price or do I have to book through a tour operator?

Thanks,

Kathy

Lifeasme123 not trying to take your thread, but I have a question about the Colosseum Underground too. Can I just go online and book the underground tour and entrance price or do I have to book through a tour operator?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy - I found this link on TripAdviosr that details the steps. I am not sure it is against the rules to post a website. But since it is TA I hope it's ok: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k7204987-Colosseum_Underground_Tour-Rome_Lazio.html

Thanks,

Kathy

I booked online..no tour operator

Children under 18 get free admission to the museum. Does anyone know if I pick up the free tickets at the Colosseum when I pick up the tickets I order online? Or do I need to order the free tickets with the other paying tickets? The webiste is not clear to me.

Children under 18 get free admission to the museum. Does anyone know if I pick up the free tickets at the Colosseum when I pick up the tickets I order online? Or do I need to order the free tickets with the other paying tickets? The webiste is not clear to me.

Yes they do get free admission. I emailed ahead of time though just to confirm to see if I needed to count the head or not

When we picked up the tix there was a minor delay but the ticket clerk straightened it out and of course my young child walked right in with us

Italians are very understanding about children and will many times let kids and students in for free even if the free entrance is just for EU members

That has been my experience anyway ymmv

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can book the underground tour online at the official website.

The tour can be booked starting on the third Monday of each month for the following month (unless a holiday falls on that Monday and then tickets will be released on Tuesday). Booking opens at 9am. Rome time. (Click top right for English.)

http://www.coopculture.it/events.cfm?id=6

We did this tour years ago, in fact the first year they offered it. The underground section, although interesting, was less spectacular than I had hoped, but having that portion of the upper level to ourselves was great! The only problem was when our little group ascended through the main colosseum on our way to that upper level, we had to pass through a huge crush of tourists and lost two of our tour members, never to reappear. Our guide didn't stop to look for them either. Maybe they are more careful now, but my advice is to stick closely to your guide.

We had visited the Colosseum during a previous trip, using the Rick Steve's audio guide. We both knew we wanted to return and do the underground and third tier. We loved it and felt it added so much more to our understanding of the Colosseum - historical, cultural, operational....

I highly recommend it!

As far as booking - you will pay more for basically the same tour if you book with a third party vendor. (Although that may sometimes be your only option to get the dates/times you want if you do not book early.)

Another night option in this area is a night tour of Caesar's Forum and Augusts' Forum. It starts in Trajan's Market (by the column) and crosses under the road into a portion of the forum not open to the general public. It uses laser lights to "finish" buildings and project images to help you understand what the forum was like.

Another night option in this area is a night tour of Caesar's Forum and Augusts' Forum. It starts in Trajan's Market (by the column) and crosses under the road into a portion of the forum not open to the general public. It uses laser lights to "finish" buildings and project images to help you understand what the forum was like.

Thanks for this! I added to our list to do if time permits. Did you see either of these shows?

Actually we did go last July(2016). Our son was in Rome studying abroad and he had attended the show as part of a class on the history of Rome. He was so impressed that he told us about it and went with us for the second time. We did the Forum of Caesar (Foro di Cesare), which has you walk through the ruins. I think the other one is a bit more sit in one place and watch the show. Since it is at night, the temperature is much better in July. I also appreciated the information. I had not realized that it wasn't until the 20th century that the excavations really started on that area. (Somehow you think that the forum was always open to the public.) We love visiting Rome and each time we see something new . . . the laser light show was the "new" thing on the last trip. You can buy your tickets at viaggioneifori.it

We love visiting Rome and each time we see something new . . . the laser light show was the "new" thing on the last trip. You can buy your tickets at viaggioneifori.it

I also love Rome! You are spot on - there is always something new to see! We plan on doing the combined forums at night on our next trip. Also, the Domus Area has now added a virtual reality segment to their tour that supposedly shows what it would have looked like during Nero's time - virtual reality headsets were not part of my tour of the Domus Area - gotta go back and do that again too!

Of the two shows, I think the one that goes into the Forum of Julius Caesar is the better -- the more so because otherwise it is very difficult to get access. (Speaking as someone who's accessed a surprising number of things in Rome through the years.....)

Although if anyone knows who to call to get access to the roof of the Pantheon, I'm all ears. ;p