Wine package - again! (how it works)

pollardtom

Hello

I'm a long time peruser,first time poster. My and my partner are both going to be first time cruisers for our honeymoon on QM2 this November (TA EB), and we have a lot of questions (I’ll be posting more soon!).

But starting with the basics... the wine package. I have read the first 15 pages in the forum, and note there are a lot of alcohol / wine package questions,so sorry if you guys are bored of answering them! I just need to know a few bit about how it works, so here goes...

My understanding is you will get (in your stateroom?) a voucher for each bottle of wine you are entitled to, and you hand this over at the restaurant (in our case the Britannia Club), and at that point choose which bottle you would like from the collection, which is then brought to your table corkage free. Is my understanding correct?

We were looking at the Commodore's Collection, as we are both partial to a bit of port.Could we choose the port, and have a glass each at the end of our dinner over a number of nights, and have a different bottle of wine on the go for with our meal?

Also can we use the vouchers in the Verandah? Or Kings Court? Or in the bars / pub? Or can we have it brought to our stateroom?

If you don't finish a bottle with your meal, I know they can keep it for you for the next night, but can you take it away with you?

Thanks for you help.

Tom

Yes ! to every question , however, the wine coupons will be with your table 'Sommelier' on the first evening you board.( not usually in your stateroom)

If you would like to use one of your coupons/vouchers in any of the alternative dining venues it is best to arrange this with your Britannia Club Sommelier in advance ( either the evening before or sometime in the afternoon) in this case your wine selection will be waiting at your (alternative dining) table, this will save you a lot of hassle.

Using one of your coupons in any of the open bars or public venues is a bit of a hassle as it takes ages for the crew member to adjust his/her paper work. You are best to purchase an additional bottle and have it saved for your next visit . ( this is what I do)

Yes any wine that you have not consumed in the restaurant is reserved for your next visit.

Any full bottles of wine (from your package) that you may have not consumed by the end of your voyage, will be given back to you to take off. ;)

Thank you Bell Boy. That's really useful.

Can I ask a few more, we are trying to work out how much we want in a package, how much to bring on board and how much to budget for on board.

Could we tell the Sommelier in our dining room that we were wanting to eat in the Golden Lion for lunch the next day and would like a coupon wine arranged?

Or could we finish our dinner in the dinning room, and take a coupon bottle with us to the Commodore Club?

Are any of the things i'm suggesting frowned upon? We are both enthusiastic about fitting in to the etiquette.

I've no experience taking a bottle ( from the wine package) into another bar venue, however, I'm sure the crew will accommodate you, knowing that the wine is from your onboard wine package selection.

Speak with your sommelier, I'm sure they will arrange for a crew member to deliver it to your chosen bar venue, rather than you walking around the public areas carrying a bottle ;)

I'm sure you know that wine brought onboard at embarkation will be for consumption in your stateroom only, otherwise it will incur a corkage charge if taken into a restaurant or public venue.

Thanks again... most useful.

I am aware corkage is to be paid on bottles brought on board, but we are planning on doing it a bit anyway (only a bit). We are both a fan of a particular English sparkling wine, and we were planning on bringing some special wines (the wine we had when we got engaged in France for example, we thought would be nice in the Verandah).

Of course a few bottles for the room as well (we like our wine :o)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks again... most useful.

I am aware corkage is to be paid on bottles brought on board, but we are planning on doing it a bit anyway (only a bit). We are both a fan of a particular English sparkling wine, and we were planning on bringing some special wines (the wine we had when we got engaged in France for example, we thought would be nice in the Verandah).

Of course a few bottles for the room as well (we like our wine :o)

We took quite a few bottles with us and paid courage. No problems at all (although I think sommeliers are on commission so at first she seemed a bit miffed but as we bought some from her she was Ok). We had bottles from vineyards we had visited (but also it worked out a lot cheaper).

We were very happy with bringing on our wine on board- and will be doing it again in May 2017. Even with the corkage fee, bringing our own seems like a better deal.

As an example, a $10 wine store wine is sold at $40 on Cunard.

If you bring champagne - and don't plan on knocking it all off- be sure and bring a 'champagne cork' with you , a nifty gadget that snaps over opened Champagne bottles-