Carnival Vista - Crowded normally or just because it was spring break

pfleer

Hi everyone!

We just got back from our spring break vaca on the beautiful Vista on 3/25. We have taken many cruises but this one was our first time going over spring break.

While we had a great vacation, the one thing I noticed on this trip were the lines. They were EVERYWHERE! It would take over 30 minutes to get to the breakfast buffet. Never went to any shows because the lines were so long. Lines for guest services, lines to pick up liquor on the last day, lines for Java Blue. And getting a drink from a bar was at least a 15 minute wait, and many times longer. I never did get a drink at Alchemy because after waiting 2 different times for over 20 minutes, I gave up and went to the Ocean Plaza bar.

So, my question is this......Is this normal for the Vista or was this just a result of this being a spring break cruise? I booked the Sunshine for next year's spring break and not sure I want to deal with the spring break crowds again if that is really what we ran into last week. It also concerns me that there is only 1 public pool on the Sunshine, with the only other being in the Serenity area. I'm excited about next year's cruise though because we got an aft extended view balcony on deck 5 which is supposed to be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

I was on the same cruise. Most ships sail full so you will have lines no matter what time of year. They also have more bars and 11 less bar tenders and bar waiters than other ships and plan to cut even more (you can see my review where I mentioned this). So while there are more people on Vista, you will have the line issue on just about any ship.

Liquid Lounge is too small for the amount of passengers and poorly set up so that can explain for the lines to get into the shows. Same with Limelight Lounge. I think they tried to cram too many people in less space on this ship.

I was on the same cruise. Most ships sail full so you will have lines no matter what time of year. They also have more bars and 11 less bar tenders and bar waiters than other ships and plan to cut even more (you can see my review where I mentioned this). So while there are more people on Vista, you will have the line issue on just about any ship.

Liquid Lounge is too small for the amount of passengers and poorly set up so that can explain for the lines to get into the shows. Same with Limelight Lounge. I think they tried to cram too many people in less space on this ship.

I agree. I was disappointed with my Vista experience. I am booked on the Sunshine in Sept so hopefully it will be better.

While there are many factors that influence crowding and lines, passenger to space ratio is one of them. Carnival's ships are already at the very bottom of the list, and the Vista took this to a new low with a space ratio of only 33.75. The Sunshine is a bit better at 34.23, but still second lowest in the fleet since they crammed in more cabins during the Destiny rebuild. For reference, the highest space ratio in the fleet is the Spirit class at 40.4. Conquest class is 37.0.

https://www.cruisewatch.com/top-10/ships-space-ratio/

How was bar service in the Havana bar during the day? And did you try the Cuban coffee?

How was bar service in the Havana bar during the day? And did you try the Cuban coffee?

During the day was decent. Sometimes they only had one bartender and they would have to go between the inside and outside bars, but most times there were 2. You always had to go get your own drinks. I don't drink coffee, so didn't try it.

While there are many factors that influence crowding and lines, passenger to space ratio is one of them. Carnival's ships are already at the very bottom of the list, and the Vista took this to a new low with a space ratio of only 33.75. The Sunshine is a bit better at 34.23, but still second lowest in the fleet since they crammed in more cabins during the Destiny rebuild. For reference, the highest space ratio in the fleet is the Spirit class at 40.4. Conquest class is 37.0.

I have found that this is what really makes the difference for my cruising. I do not care about the amenities when it comes to having to wait in line for everything. Try the Pride or Glory and it is like a different world.

Of course this is bad for Carnival as their profit margin is much lower on a ship with 40 square foot of passenger space per person.

I agree. I was disappointed with my Vista experience. I am booked on the Sunshine in Sept so hopefully it will be better.

Wow, you are probably going to " love" the Sunshine. The Sunshine is absolutely the most crowded ship we have ever sailed on ! My wife refuses to consider another Carnival cruise after that fiasco.

This is great! Thank you for the link!

Although the same amount of cabins might be sold, there is going to be a difference in the amount of passengers during spring break. More families which are more likely to have 4 in a cabin versus couples with 2 in a cabin in the off season.

We cruised on the Vista in February. It was crowded. Pretty much every cruise we have been on with the exception of the cruises we take in the Fall (Oct), has been crowded. I agree about the Spirit class ships being more spacious. But, we've only been on the Legend in the Nov/Dec time frame. I'm not sure how a Spirit class ship would be at peak times like spring break and summer.

We've been cruising in crowded ship mode (save what we like to do for off peak times or on port days when we're not getting off the ship) for what seems like forever. Planning to do it again next week on the Fantasy. :cool:

Although the same amount of cabins might be sold, there is going to be a difference in the amount of passengers during spring break. More families which are more likely to have 4 in a cabin versus couples with 2 in a cabin in the off season.

Sure, but you typically don't have kids waiting at the bar for drinks like adults. I saw the occasional minor, but they were mostly packed with adults.

If space ratio actually meant something..... "Crammed in more cabins".....really?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have found that this is what really makes the difference for my cruising. I do not care about the amenities when it comes to having to wait in line for everything. Try the Pride or Glory and it is like a different world.

Of course this is bad for Carnival as their profit margin is much lower on a ship with 40 square foot of passenger space per person.

Have you seen the profit margins by ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like my wife and I will just plan ahead a little more for shows and things of that nature. A few extra tips to that special server for us and I'm sure they'll go out of their way to find us and make sure our beverages don't need topped off. I won't let it ruin my vacation one bit. :)

Thanks, fantastic reference. Guess it also helps explain DCL's prices.

Sounds like my wife and I will just plan ahead a little more for shows and things of that nature. A few extra tips to that special server for us and I'm sure they'll go out of their way to find us and make sure our beverages don't need topped off. I won't let it ruin my vacation one bit. :)

We had Cheers and tipped additional in cash for 75% of our drinks. I even had the dollars in hand to show that I was tipping extra. I never received any faster service or even a thank you for the additional tip.

I'm glad you plan ahead to stand in line for shows. That's just not how I want to vacation. Personal preferences I guess.

We had Cheers and tipped additional in cash for 75% of our drinks. I even had the dollars in hand to show that I was tipping extra. I never received any faster service or even a thank you for the additional tip.

I'm glad you plan ahead to stand in line for shows. That's just not how I want to vacation. Personal preferences I guess.

I usually don't, but I will this time with what I'm reading. Some folks, not you in particuliar, would let some of this stuff ruin their vacation. I'm not going to allow that to happen since this is a once a year or every two years trip for me and my wife. I had some bad experiences on the Splendor in February 2016. I didn't let it ruin things, but I made sure Carnival knew about it as well.

Thanks, fantastic reference. Guess it also helps explain DCL's prices.

I find the numbers for DCL surprising. We found the newer ships (Dream and Fantasia) to feel very crowded in public spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sailed twice on the Vista. I am not a fan of large ships. I sailed the inaugural cruise and then the TA crossing. My favorite thing about this ship was that wherever I went, it did not seem that crowded. Sorry you had this experience.

Hi everyone!

We just got back from our spring break vaca on the beautiful Vista on 3/25. We have taken many cruises but this one was our first time going over spring break.

While we had a great vacation, the one thing I noticed on this trip were the lines. They were EVERYWHERE! It would take over 30 minutes to get to the breakfast buffet. Never went to any shows because the lines were so long. Lines for guest services, lines to pick up liquor on the last day, lines for Java Blue. And getting a drink from a bar was at least a 15 minute wait, and many times longer. I never did get a drink at Alchemy because after waiting 2 different times for over 20 minutes, I gave up and went to the Ocean Plaza bar.

So, my question is this......Is this normal for the Vista or was this just a result of this being a spring break cruise? I booked the Sunshine for next year's spring break and not sure I want to deal with the spring break crowds again if that is really what we ran into last week. It also concerns me that there is only 1 public pool on the Sunshine, with the only other being in the Serenity area. I'm excited about next year's cruise though because we got an aft extended view balcony on deck 5 which is supposed to be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

We cruised on the Vista in February. It was crowded. Pretty much every cruise we have been on with the exception of the cruises we take in the Fall (Oct), has been crowded. I agree about the Spirit class ships being more spacious. But, we've only been on the Legend in the Nov/Dec time frame. I'm not sure how a Spirit class ship would be at peak times like spring break and summer.

We've been cruising in crowded ship mode (save what we like to do for off peak times or on port days when we're not getting off the ship) for what seems like forever. Planning to do it again next week on the Fantasy. :cool:

There are LOTS of schools out in February for winter break. Just for future reference. :D We went to Disney one February and there were SO many families from the north down there for break. It was crazy packed!

I was told by a frequent cruiser that the ship was way to crowded when they went. He said the ship has too many passengers and not enough public space.

They dislike like the ship because of it. This was not spring break or a holiday cruise either.