Iron Question

HermmyGranger

Hair straighteners and curling irons are definitely allowed. I always make sure to bring a heat resistant cover to put over them after unplugging, then I don't worry about leaving any burn marks on the furniture.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I've only sailed HAL one time on Veendam and my luggage was "held for inspection" and I had a note to go to the "bad girl" area and claim it. ;p

The cause?

My curling iron.

They allowed me to keep it but it caused my luggage to be pulled aside when it went through their scanners.

This time I'm putting it in my carry on luggage so I can deal with it right away and my other luggage doesn't get delayed.

Still don't understand the logic that clothes irons could cause a fire therefore they're banned...however curling irons (mine reaches temps of 450 deg it's a pro one) and cigarette smoking is ok.:confused:

Still don't understand the logic that clothes irons could cause a fire therefore they're banned...however curling irons (mine reaches temps of 450 deg it's a pro one) and cigarette smoking is ok.

Smoking is only allowed in certain areas of the ship, not in the cabins any longer.

On our last European cruise, which was combined with a long land trip afterwards, I packed a travel iron in suitcase, prepped with a note attached with my room number, etc., thinking I would be called to the "naughty room". But no. I COULD have used it on the ship, but didn't. Because I'm not supposed to. Simple - if you don't' like the rules, go somewhere else. I'll be doing the same again this year, again expecting to be called on the carpet for having a contraband item. I'd just be amused by the process - I don't care if I get my luggage right away. Just getting on the ship works for me!

On our last European cruise, which was combined with a long land trip afterwards, I packed a travel iron in suitcase, prepped with a note attached with my room number, etc., thinking I would be called to the "naughty room". But no. I COULD have used it on the ship, but didn't. Because I'm not supposed to. Simple - if you don't' like the rules, go somewhere else. I'll be doing the same again this year, again expecting to be called on the carpet for having a contraband item. I'd just be amused by the process - I don't care if I get my luggage right away. Just getting on the ship works for me!

So, if you don't use it, that beckons the question, why do you bring it?

If they "confiscate" items, do they return them at the end of the cruise? And do they open your luggage without you present or do you have to go open it for them?

When your bag gets "flagged" by shore-side security, they attach a tag to it that alerts the ship's crew in the Marshaling Area (think the big side doors mid-ship through which most luggage and stores come in) to set the bag aside. It is then transported to the so-called "Naughty room" which, on the Vista and bigger ships, is the gangway break area adjacent the Front Office on Deck 1

Front Office staff will leave a message on your stateroom phone to come to the "Naughty room". A Front Office person and a ship security guard will stand by when you are asked to open your bag while the item that got the shore-side security person's attention while scanning your luggage, is removed by you, At times in the case where the item is deemed suspicious like ammunition, a taser (Yes, it has happened!), Rambo-knife, etc.it will be removed by security in your presence

If the item is on the confiscated item list, it will be temporarily confiscated and stored in the security office for the duration of the cruise; you'll be given a receipt, and it will be returned to you prior to disembarking the ship at the conclusion of the cruise

Hair straighteners and curling irons are definitely allowed. I always make sure to bring a heat resistant cover to put over them after unplugging, then I don't worry about leaving any burn marks on the furniture.

Wouldn't expect anything else from you. Your Honor! :D

Copper 10-8

thank you for your insight on what actually happens in the naughty room. We have never been tagged but have carried a steamer with us until I learned that the shower is hot enough to get the wrinkles out of my sport coats.

Copper 10-8

thank you for your insight on what actually happens in the naughty room. We have never been tagged but have carried a steamer with us until I learned that the shower is hot enough to get the wrinkles out of my sport coats.

Enjoy your next cruise! :)

[quote=styles27;52689335

Still don't understand the logic that clothes irons could cause a fire therefore they're banned...however curling irons (mine reaches temps of 450 deg it's a pro one) and cigarette smoking is ok.:confused:

Curling irons, hair straighteners, and blow dryers are only allowed because of the stink that would be raised if the female passengers were not allowed to bring them. Believe me, insurance wise, they rank right up there with the clothes irons and steamers. The major problem with heating appliances is not whether or not there is a hot metal surface, as most people think. The problem is with the "auto off" switch, which turns the device off when it reaches too high a temperature, or when a steamer runs out of water. These switches are known to fail frequently, as Mr. Coffee knows to its detriment, when it nearly went out of business in the 80's from house fire lawsuits caused by defective auto off switches.

Curling irons, hair straighteners, and blow dryers are only allowed because of the stink that would be raised if the female passengers were not allowed to bring them. Believe me, insurance wise, they rank right up there with the clothes irons and steamers. The major problem with heating appliances is not whether or not there is a hot metal surface, as most people think. The problem is with the "auto off" switch, which turns the device off when it reaches too high a temperature, or when a steamer runs out of water. These switches are known to fail frequently, as Mr. Coffee knows to its detriment, when it nearly went out of business in the 80's from house fire lawsuits caused by defective auto off switches.

I know all about hair appliances...been a hairstylist for 32 yrs and a salon owner the last 22 yrs.

Knock wood....our irons are on all day long at my salon and thankfully never an issue.

Those issues from Mr Coffee still have me pulling the plug on my coffee maker every day before I leave the house. Even though it has an auto shut off, I'm afraid to chance it. That was very scary.

I'm happy cruiselines are limiting smoking to only certain public areas...of course if you read some of the FB posts from smokers they're "raising a stink" as you would say. lol

It's hard to keep everyone happy. I'm just happy to be on a cruise and wouldn't care if they did eventually ban hair appliances. I just want to be safe.