Crime in Nassau

cruisenovice2017

I am heading to the Bahamas in a short period of time and have been reading on a certain website about rampant crime in the Bahamas, in particular Nassau. I am staying on the ship in Freeport, not too worried about HMC, but was going to at least get off and explore the port area in Nassau for a bit. Do I need to hone my ninja skills or is what I am reading kind of blown out of proportion?

It's a tourist area. Take the usual precautions. But I've been there tons, including twice with my kids, and never felt unsafe. Now the people out front who want to braid your hair are annoying, but not scary

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Absolutely no reason to be worried in Nassau. I've been twice within the last year. We walked around downtown both times and never felt unsafe at all. Crime happens in all cities, even in the US. Just be smart and make smart decisions. Obviously there are things that can make you more of a target for criminals: getting so wasted you have no idea what's going on, trying to purchase illegal drugs, that sort of thing. But I don't feel, from my experience, that the typical tourist has anything to worry about. I quite like Nassau, actually. Lots of places to shop there! Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was a few years ago that two RCCL excursion groups were held up and robbed during their tours in Nassau. Haven't heard much about Nassau since then.

The port crime rates are probably similar to the crime rates in the embarkation port your cruise started from. Use street sense, don't flash jewelry, money or electronics, and don't go off alone are some of the usual caveats. {None of which would have applied in the tour group episode} .

Never felt unsafe there. My husband and I even use the public transportation and never encountered a problem. However, we always have our guard up to our surroundings, the same way we do in DC/NY and other places.

What port are you leaving from. I heard there is a lot of crime in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, and Jacksonville! If you are leaving from Pt Canaveral, I hear it is safer than Miami.

All ports, tourist areas in the world, and most large cities are worse than where you live assuming you don't live in a large city. If you are afraid to get off the ship, why not just get off with a few dollars and you ID? Leave the Diamond rings, gambling money and expensive purses on the ship, and take what you need.

Forgot to mention, it is a place where pirates rape and pillage the locals, so be on the lookout for anyone with a parrot.

I wouldn't say "nothing to worry about" but if you take the same precautions that you'd take in any city with its share of crime in the US, you'll be OK.

Stay in tourist areas and don't wander off the beaten path, be aware of your surroundings, don't walk alone, and don't make yourself a target (for example, don't drag yourself alone drunk at 2am through dark streets). Muggings, even walking from Señor Frogs back to the ship, have been reported.

We've been to Nassau both on cruise ships and land vacations and haven't felt more unsafe than in Miami (where my mother was actually robbed and physically assaulted in broad daylight right in front of Bayside Marketplace).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am heading to the Bahamas in a short period of time and have been reading on a certain website about rampant crime in the Bahamas, in particular Nassau. I am staying on the ship in Freeport, not too worried about HMC, but was going to at least get off and explore the port area in Nassau for a bit.

You don't need to be at all concerned about HMC. It's a very secured area. (y)

In Freeport and Nassau you'll be fine as long as you stay in the busy tourist areas and don't go wandering around alone. ;)

Just use common sense! Don't venture off the beaten bath, alone anyways. Do flash fancy jewelry, money, and cell phones, etc. That same things that you would do at home, you should do while on vacation. People seem forget common sense and let their guard down while on vacation.

The Nassau port is a bit of a mess right now as it's under construction. All of the little "shops" that were inside are outside in a fenced-in area between the ships and the exit to the street. It's a bit more crowded & it seemed easier for someone to get into from outside as the id check is past the shops and before walking down the pier vs before getting into the terminal building itself.

Just something to be a bit more cautious of than usual there.

Just got back. Nassau was awesome. There is security on every block for your piece of mind. Other than straw market, people were great. Check out Bearded Clam. We spent the whole afternoon there with 2 for 1 drinks. Owners are great!

Sent from my iPhone

I am heading to the Bahamas in a short period of time and have been reading on a certain website about rampant crime in the Bahamas, in particular Nassau. I am staying on the ship in Freeport, not too worried about HMC, but was going to at least get off and explore the port area in Nassau for a bit. Do I need to hone my ninja skills or is what I am reading kind of blown out of proportion?

They will tell you the area not to go into.

Been to Nassau three times and never felt unsafe. All of those times we just wondered off into the city looking for things to do. The people are friendly. Like many have said just take usual precautions and you'll be fine.

I was just in Nassau on Monday. Before debarkation in the port, the cruise director made an announcement about increased crime in the area, and the necessary precautions to take etc... That being said, I treat any large city or crowded area I'm in in the exact same matter. Be aware of your surroundings and stay in the tourist area and you will have no trouble. Some of the locals are what you would expect them to be, but most leave you alone. Enjoy the time, be aware, and you'll be fine.

I have been to Nassau numerous times and I cruise solo.

I walk on my own without any problems and not just in tourist areas. I have walked along the Jankanoo beach all the way to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo and that is about 50 minus walk from the ship.

Never had a problem, although I did have a guy slow down his car and asked if I wanted to party when I was walking in the area where I barely saw people. I said no, and he didn't bother me after.

Of course I had no jewelry on me, and frankly didn't look like I was going shopping or spending money, as I was going in the direction away from all the shops.

There will be a lot of people saying better stay on the ship, I have read a whole lot of that on this site. Butt I suggest you don't.