Excursions

Jennybrennan

Check a tour book. I did several things on my own for a very reasonable cost. One of the best things I did when in Oslo was visit the Viking museum where they display actual excavated Viking ships. A short walk away is an outdoor museum where they have relocated old churches and building that you can go into. Both are a short and enjoyable ferry ride, perhaps only about $10, from the ship's dock.

imagejpeg

imagejpegimagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

Hi Can anyone tell me what excursions on the Norway Fjord cruise at the end of April you suggest I book. I know some of them we can walk to from the ship -- eg the Flam Railway -- any advice please

Suggest you book the Flam Railway online, will be cheaper than getting it through the ship - and the same exact trip.

We took a crabbing zodiac boat trip that I don't think we could have done on our own. It was above the Arctic Circle and the company provided suits for us to wear and we were able to hold huge King crabs. We didn't book the one where you got to eat them since it was too pricey but in one of the ports we just went to an outdoor market and had the best King crab we have ever eaten. On a picnic table.

In another port (I'm not sure which one) we went to a restaurant with outdoor tables and had seal lasagna. It was a mistake. It was truly nasty. Usually when we try local food we make better choices. The experience hasn't made us quit eating local food, just using a little better judgment.

We also took a bus ride up to overlook a fjord. This was scary because the day was totally fogged in and the road was narrow and cliff on one side, mountain on the other. When we got to the top we were able to see into the fjord and the tiny boat. I'm thinking there were better ways to spend our time and money, but we did get pictures of a truly ugly troll at the top.

Hi I've tried booking Flam Railway on line through the official websites and they only give me the option of returning on the same train- giving no option to walk around at the top- any hints please??

Yeah, I see that visitflam does that. Here's a possible alternative:

https://nsb.no/en/

Only problem is the visitflam booking with the immediate turnaround is 480 NOK ($57.60) pp, while the round trip with a later return using nsb is 720 NOK ($86.40) pp - but still better than Celebrity's $109.75 pp with an immediate turnaround.

But before you decide on your booking, do a little research on Myrdel station where the turnaround is done - my understanding is that there is nothing much there; and no view of the fjord.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser