Anyone that has enjoyed both NCL Escape and Epic?

LSKC

We are booked to go on the Escape early next year (family of 5 separated into two adjoining rooms). Kids age 17, 14, 9. We are very much looking forward to it. We flip flopped back and forth between these 2 ships....

There are things we "think" we like better about the Escape but i'm finding better pricing on the Epic which would make for a better room selection and excursion $ for our budget.

I'd love some input on the pros and cons of each ship for a family with 3 active kids that love good food, fun activities and beach time/snorkeling at ports.

Thx.

L

It's been discussed here a lot, but for some people the deal breaker on the Epic is the 'bathroom situation'. This refers to the fact that the bathroom is not a traditional one room set up- the toilet and shower are across the entrance hallway from each other. The doors to both are frosted glass (you cannot see through them but you may see an outline of a person) and do not lock. They both open straight into the room so there is no private area for someone stepping out of the shower. There is a curtain you can pull across to create a little more privacy.

While most co-habiting couples don't find it an issue (we actually liked the set up), I agree with those who hate it that it's not ideal for teenagers or friends travelling together. I don't know how you intend to split into the cabins but with teenagers I would certainly take it into account as they like their privacy.

Thanks, I actually just visited NCL site and the cruises are going at the same rate now for the date we need.... So ESCAPE it is :) I've done a lot of research on the Escape (and only a little on the Epic) and I think we've picked a great ship. 9 months seems VERY far away.

Sailed on the Epic 6 times and Escape 2 times. For the kids, the Escape would be better. We would not hesitate to sail on either ship again (we are on the Breakaway, the Escape's cousin) in a few weeks. This will be our third time on the BA.

We have done Epic once and are going to be trying Escape this summer.

We loved our Epic experience but that room set up for a family of four was very difficult.

Only one person could be getting ready in the AM or PM when the bed was down. It was quite a fiasco space wise and that bathroom situation was awkward. If we do the Epic again we will most definitely be getting a Mini suite as the balcony was just to awkward with the wave wall.

With the Escape will can do a balcony no problem :-)

We went on the Epic last year for Christmas! Loved it!

Only problem was the room. The balcony cabin was way too small and awkward with the wave wall set up and the bathroom lay out. When the 4th bed/bunk was out it was very difficult to get ready in the AM and PM.

Given we loved the Epic, if we go again we will only go if we can get a mini suite.

Going on the Escape this summer and going with a balcony room. Very excited to experience the Escape after trying the Epic.

Epic - Loved that Spice H20 had its own pool, 2 hot tubs, bar, food options. Wasn't as loud as main pool area. Tiered levels for the loungers made it less congested. You basically didn't need to leave the area if you didn't want to. We did this ship without our daughter. There are a couple more free dinner options on the Epic as well (Noodle Bar, Shanghai's). Loungers were much more spread out on the main pool deck, but the two pools were so small. Bathroom situation we actually liked. Easier for two people to get ready at the same time.

Escape - Did this ship with our daughter. Loved the water park for her. Food Republic is a la carte but very cheap and sooooo yummy. We went there a couple of times, without the dining plan. Loungers on main pool deck are jammed together like sardines. Very congested. I didn't mind the pool sizes on the Escape. There was hardly any kids in the kids pool, as they were on the slides and the water park so we just used that one to cool off.

Nighttime entertainment is about the same on both ships.

Overall, I would sail either ship again, if itinerary wasn't a factor. If we were going without our daughter, I think we would lean towards the Epic purely for Spice H20 as we spent ALL DAY there on sea days.

Overall, I would sail either ship again, if itinerary wasn't a factor. If we were going without our daughter, I think we would lean towards the Epic purely for Spice H20 as we spent ALL DAY there on sea days.

Oh yeah we loved Spice H2o as well for the same reasons - pool, spacing of chairs, gorgeous view and quick access to yummy eats without having to leave.

I have been on both twice.

I give the edge to the Epic's. It doesn't have a snow or salt room like the Escape, but those aren't important to me. It seems bigger and quieter to me. I like the ladies area better. The treatment rooms are better placed, and therefore quieter. I like being able to enjoy the "outside" air on the balcony.

They are both really great and impressive.

I would love to do both ships...any preference on the thermal spa?

We did adjoining balcony rooms on Escape for family of 5 with 17, 14 and 12 year old and it worked great. FYI - If your 17 year old will be turning 18 before cruise they can gamble and drink beer & wine (if you ok it). My 14 year old was not seen the whole cruise because she met her posse in Entourage on the first full sailing day. She loved it! They have a ton of fun stuff for everyone. Comedy club was great, shows great. My kids liked the Deal or No Deal show and Bingo too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums