Has anyone been on the Brilliance OTS lately?

Considering this ship for a Christmas holiday cruise this year (2017). It's only a 5 night but the prices for that time of year are so high! This one fits into our budget better than most of the other options. I like the 2 stops that it's going to make (Grand Cayman and Cozumel).

We are excited to try Royal Caribbean but wondering if this ship will be disappointing (for us and the kids,too)? Will there be enough to entertain 2 boys ages 11 and 8? Does the ship really seem old? Would love to hear some feedback:)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love the Brilliance, was last on her this January (solo) and will be back (with family, party of 8) for a holiday cruise as well.

We're going December 18th, the week before Christmas -- works perfectly for our schedules and since it's not technically a "holiday" sailing the price is much better! :D

She is still a wonderful ship. Sure, not as fancy as the newer bigger ships but for price/performance can't be beat. Also, something about the passenger/space ratio makes it rarely ever feel crowded even when fully booked.

I think your young boys should have a great time. The pool is small, and there are no slides, but since you're going in December water-play may not be a top priority. (It's usually still quite warm in the Caribbean winter, but the water can be chilly)

In addition to the big screen outside on the pool deck, the Brilliance also has a small cinema that plays recent movies which is nice.

I for one could wholeheartedly recommend the Brilliance for family cruising. :)

We did the Brilliance last November for a Thanksgiving cruise and our 6-year-old grandson gave the ship a "thumbs up" after doing the rock-climbing wall. He also liked the Kid's Club. My daughter just went back on the Brilliance two weeks ago (with just hubby) and they again loved it ( their first aft balcony and they are now aft fans). So the Brilliance can be great for both a family cruise or just a couple cruise.

I love hearing all these positive posts. We don't sail on her until March 2018, but it's never too early to start getting excited about a cruise!

I've sailed on Voyager and while I liked it, I decided that anything larger would be just too big. The Radiance class seems just the right size! Go for it!

We will be sailing the Brilliance next Saturday the 8th for 5 nights. We sailed her sister, the Jewel 2 times and loved the ship. I don't recall any ship other than the Monarch which I did not like. Beats sitting at home. Love sailing.

We will be sailing the Brilliance next Saturday the 8th for 5 nights. We sailed her sister, the Jewel 2 times and loved the ship. I don't recall any ship other than the Monarch which I did not like. Beats sitting at home. Love sailing.

We'll be on the same cruise...and are getting married at our stop in Key West!:hearteyes:

We just booked the Brilliance for the fall 2018 TA. We have been on the Jewel several times and on the Radiance once and love that class of ship. I know there are some differences between the ships after the redo a few years ago. I would love to hear what people think of the differences between the ships.:)

We just booked the Brilliance for the fall 2018 TA. We have been on the Jewel several times and on the Radiance once and love that class of ship. I know there are some differences between the ships after the redo a few years ago. I would love to hear what people think of the differences between the ships.:)

I will miss the Park Cafe for breakfast when we cruise on Jewel.

I will miss the Park Cafe for breakfast when we cruise on Jewel.

Yes. The last time we sailed on Jewel was before the refurb when we went through the Panama Canal (great cruise, BTW!). I was hoping the Park Cafe would be added, but I see it was not. We will be on her again this October for an Italy & Greek Islands cruise. I understand the Solarium Cafe was updated a bit, but I doubt if they serve breakfast there.

I am looking forward to trying the Park Cafe on Brilliance. Since it is a 16 night cruise we will have a lot of time to try out all of her new additions. I am afraid I will miss the Seaview Cafe on both ships, though.:loudcry:

Are they still doing the aerial acrobatic shows in the Centrum on the Brilliance? I don't believe that was added on the Jewel.

Sailed on her this past December. She's a great ship and as others stated is kept up well and doesn't appear to be old at all. The kids I saw running around the ship seemed to look like they were enjoying themselves so am sure your kids will do fine.

Considering this ship for a Christmas holiday cruise this year (2017). It's only a 5 night but the prices for that time of year are so high! This one fits into our budget better than most of the other options. I like the 2 stops that it's going to make (Grand Cayman and Cozumel).

We are excited to try Royal Caribbean but wondering if this ship will be disappointing (for us and the kids,too)? Will there be enough to entertain 2 boys ages 11 and 8? Does the ship really seem old? Would love to hear some feedback:)

Thanks!

The Radiance Class ships are my personal favorite, especially the Brilliance since she's in Tampa half the year. She's was renovated a few years ago and looks great IMO. As far as the kids go, there is stuff to do, although obviously not as much as the bigger Freedom and Oasis Class ships. She's got a basketball court, teen disco, kids club and pool (with a water slide) and a rock climbing wall.

We'll be on the same cruise...and are getting married at our stop in Key West!:hearteyes:

Yes, I know. You posted on Roll Call. Glad you choose Key West. Hope all goes as planned.

Where in Key West are you holding the ceremony?

I'm 42 and was on a family cruise with my brother, sister and mom. We did the 12/3/16 cruise. The ship was really nice. But their were so many seniors . A lot of scooters in the hall. I'm 6'1 and 280lbs. and had a hard time walking In the halls. But, it wasn't a bad cruise and had a blast. It was just a different type of cruise then I expected. Happy cruising!!!!

Just finished a Brilliance OTS cruise in March. Had a great experience. Ship may be older, but certainly does not look it. Also, we were at capacity but ship usually did not feel crowded, especially in the Windjammer. On At Sea days, the pool decks were pretty crowded, though. If you want a better spot, get to the pool quickly.

Personnel were a bit nicer and even more responsive than usual RC experience, and that is saying a lot.

I thought the live music on this ship was much better than our other RC cruises (this was my 6th one).

Would definitely sail on this ship again.

Just sailed Brilliance in Feb on this same itinerary. Absolutely Loved it. We booked her again for a 4 night to Cozumel. Ship is in wonderful condition. Great service from stateroom attendant, bartenders and main dining. We got a great deal on BoGo specialty dining prior to sailing and enjoyed Chops and Giovanni's. Food was good in MDR our other nights. I was concerned based on a few reviews but we loved it-the size of the ship and places to go/drink etc. We left our 2 year old home with grandma but we did see other kids onboard.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi.

Have you considered the Independence? Also does 4/5 day cruises and a much larger and better ship than Brilliance IMO.

Hi.

Have you considered the Independence? Also does 4/5 day cruises and a much larger and better ship than Brilliance IMO.

Indy is larger, but "better" is a matter of opinion. We like Brilliance more than Indy.

Indy is larger, but "better" is a matter of opinion. We like Brilliance more than Indy.

I prefer Indy, however the main reason that I am saying she is better as OP has two pre-teen kids, who would enjoy Indy much more than Brilliance.

The 8 year old may enjoy the slide, but aside from that, there is nothing more on Brilliance that you can't get on Indy and lots on Indy that you can't get on Brilliance.

I prefer Indy, however the main reason that I am saying she is better as OP has two pre-teen kids, who would enjoy Indy much more than Brilliance.

The 8 year old may enjoy the slide, but aside from that, there is nothing more on Brilliance that you can't get on Indy and lots on Indy that you can't get on Brilliance.

Probably more for kids to do on Indy, but Brilliance has outdoor Windjammer seating, covered Solarium, Park Cafe, pool tables, and a screening room (Indy's is gone).