Save me from Oprah

EDLOS

It's only on 4 cruises at most. So the hundreds of others will be unaffected.

I'm not buying that at all. This may be a trial run scheduled, but I expect that slowly (but surely) the activities described will come to take over the schedule, the activities rooms, and the staff.

I've seen too many of the activities we used to enjoy aboard disappear, to be replaced with "lectures" about teeth whitening, acupuncture, gems & jewels---all with the idea of generating income for HAL.

There's money in the background of this, too. Of that, I have no doubt.

I'm not buying that at all. This may be a trial run scheduled, but I expect that slowly (but surely) the activities described will come to take over the schedule, the activities rooms, and the staff.

I've seen too many of the activities we used to enjoy aboard disappear, to be replaced with "lectures" about teeth whitening, acupuncture, gems & jewels---all with the idea of generating income for HAL.

There's money in the background of this, too. Of that, I have no doubt.

Well, be sure that Oprah herself and her staff will only be on a couple cruises. If they decide to take some of the activities and put them on other cruises, you don't have to do them.

If it's a "trial run" and it's successful - then that's what works for HAL to get new customers and grow. That's the point of a proof of concept, see if it's popular and profitable or not.

Bottom line is that HAL has to attract a more diverse, expanded customer base. They don't have the activities to attract younger cruisers so they have to attract more customers that want non "active" activities ( meaning not waterslides, skydiving, surfing etc) so self improvement themes that are part of Oprah's brand are a way to offer something interesting that doesn't require a whole new ship design. It's smart of HAL. I'm sure the cruises will sell out.

It's only on 4 cruises at most. So the hundreds of others will be unaffected. Just don't book yourself on those 4.

I'm reasonably sure that "more than 300" is greater than 4.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1433

Third paragraph of the press release:

The O, The Oprah Magazine cruises will feature exclusive programming developed with the magazine’s editors, including editor in chief Lucy Kaylin and creative director Adam Glassman. ...— will be on board sharing inspirational ideas and tips for living your best life. More than 300 Holland America Line cruises sailing in North America from August 2017 through 2018 will have a variety of engaging, stimulating activities that bring the magazine to life, including meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking demonstrations, an onboard book club and more.

If you don't want to be on a ship with certain types of people, you really should be tolerant of people who don't want to be on an Oprah-influenced cruise. So, while it's probably easy to avoid cruises that actually contain a full Oprah, the ones with Oprah sprinkles look to be pretty prevalent. ;)

I'm reasonably sure that "more than 300" is greater than 4.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1433

Third paragraph of the press release:

If you don't want to be on a ship with certain types of people, you really should be tolerant of people who don't want to be on an Oprah-influenced cruise. So, while it's probably easy to avoid cruises that actually contain a full Oprah, the ones with Oprah sprinkles look to be pretty prevalent. ;)

Honestly, I don't want to be on HAL, but my mom is treating. The fact that they don't have high speed unlimited internet, or anything to really do after 11pm is a problem for me. At least it will be port intensive.

The reports I read were 4 cruises where Oprah and her or her staff will be on to lead activities. If it's 300 with self help type stuff, then I'm betting those 4 sold pretty well right off the bat.

Bottom line is that HAL has to attract a more diverse, expanded customer base. They don't have the activities to attract younger cruisers so they have to attract more customers that want non "active" activities ( meaning not waterslides, skydiving, surfing etc) so self improvement themes that are part of Oprah's brand are a way to offer something interesting that doesn't require a whole new ship design. It's smart of HAL. I'm sure the cruises will sell out.

I wasn't aware that HAL needs to attract a "more diverse, expanded customer base." They seem to be have been doing very well as is. HAL's itineraries and ports probably attract a larger segment of the older, retired community who can afford to cruise for weeks or months at a time. Hopefully, HAL will never try to emulate Carnival, NCL or RCCL is their various "active" activities. While I seriously question your belief that Oprah will sell out the ships, you may be right and HAL will make even more of a profit, but I wonder how much more. They are not presently headed for bankruptcy.

I wasn't aware that HAL needs to attract a "more diverse, expanded customer base." They seem to be have been doing very well as is. HAL's itineraries and ports probably attract a larger segment of the older, retired community who can afford to cruise for weeks or months at a time. Hopefully, HAL will never try to emulate Carnival, NCL or RCCL is their various "active" activities. While I seriously question your belief that Oprah will sell out the ships, you may be right and HAL will make even more of a profit, but I wonder how much more. They are not presently headed for bankruptcy.

While I haven't done any research, my guess as a person who works in digital products and strategy at a huge global firm- is that the older, retired demographic will age out /pass away and the generation coming up into retirement age (me included at 53), expects a different type of cruise experience with less traditional activities. Not everyone wants a waterpark or other active things on a ship, so those folks can be reached with more cerebral activities - be it educational /ted talk type things, or self help/life improvement type activities. Oprah'a brand speaks to those self help type things. ( personally I subscribe to her magazine, but don't care to participate in self help or spiritual stuff she does). She can also tie in financial help, decorating, cooking etc that has a connection to what HAL does now with the cooking demos. So the partnership makes sense and can bring in new, next generation, cruisers. That's off the top of my head though.

I'm curious to know what's in it for Oprah...meaning how much $$$$$$$ it's costing HAL to have this relationship with her?

Is she looking for sales of her brand as much as HAL is looking to her to boost their sales?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the months to come.

I think maybe they're looking for a segment of the population that has never cruised before, or even thought about cruising, and Oprah (or another celebrity) could be the "hook" to lure them in.

My first cruise was a group cruise, and I wouldn't have thought about booking a cruise were it not for the fact that I wanted to participate in the group activities. That was in 2001 and I've been cruising every since.

When I see posts where people question why cruise lines charter cruises or accommodate groups onboard, I'm sure the cruise line get additional business from passengers who were exposed to cruising because of the charter or group.

Roz

Honestly, I don't see this any different from when a big group of any interest takes over a ship. They use rooms for special things, have private events out on the Lido, etc. At least, with this one, as you state, you see it and you can avoid it. I have a place in town that serves an amazing breakfast, but I avoid it like the plague because it always has on the "dumbed down" Faux News on the TVs...

Beware the Federalist Society meetings - unless you like to see Congressmen/Senators/Supreme Court Justices/ lobbyists and their groupies, drinking like fish and getting sloppy drunk and rude and obnoxious. I always wondered why the right-wing of the Republican party and PACS hold getaways in a totally Blue town that they love to denigrate every January as the playground of the academic and entertainment elite...

Cruisemom - I call the "pod" of people who must travel with only-like-minded people "sheeple."

I believe the general topics on this forum are intended to be limited to cruising and HAL ships itself. Nuff said.

... Beware the Federalist Society meetings - unless you like to see Congressmen/Senators/Supreme Court Justices/ lobbyists and their groupies, drinking like fish and getting sloppy drunk and rude and obnoxious.

I would certainly like to know the identities of the Supreme Court Justices whom you observed acting so inappropriately. Thank you in advance for the info.

I'm curious to know what's in it for Oprah...meaning how much $$$$$$$ it's costing HAL to have this relationship with her?

Is she looking for sales of her brand as much as HAL is looking to her to boost their sales?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the months to come.

Oprah as a brand is very successful and has a very large following and a life style appeal, like Martha Stewart. Probably not too much different than the marketing foray into Dancing with the Stars, which like Oprah also had zero appeal for us. But others came back loving it.

Oprah as a brand is very successful and has a very large following and a life style appeal, like Martha Stewart. Probably not too much different than the marketing foray into Dancing with the Stars, which like Oprah also had zero appeal for us. But others came back loving it.

I guess I never paid too much attention to her so I didn't realize her appeal went further than her show or magazine.

Just googled her and learned her show isn't even on anymore. lol :')

I really don't watch afternoon tv since I'm working at that time.

I would certainly like to know the identities of the Supreme Court Justices whom you observed acting so inappropriately. Thank you in advance for the info.

Actually, recent Supreme Court membership to the Federalist Society include: Antonin Scalia, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito.

I guess I never paid too much attention to her so I didn't realize her appeal went further than her show or magazine.

Just googled her and learned her show isn't even on anymore. lol :')

I really don't watch afternoon tv since I'm working at that time.

Oprah has an entire TV network (OWN). Plus does tours that sell out nationwide (weekend events with multiple speakers), producer of film and TV, actress, about to start a food line, and is a best selling author. She one of the only self made female billionaires. So a partnership with her is a huge win for HAL.

HAL should have partnered with Roads Scholars or BBC ...if they wanted to become an "enrichment" activity cruise line. Not New Age Oprah.

They could do that too. Like they have a partnership with America's test kitchen. But Oprah has a wider, more mass market appeal then what you suggest. I think TED talks at sea would be great as well.

For those who say they just want to sit back and enjoy the sea and not be bothered with this, I don't think the special O activities will get in the way. I look at it like the gym. I know every ship has one. Doesn't mean I have to go there. :cool:

Yep! It's like the art auctions; I'm not interested, so I just pass it by. Enjoy the things you like; ignore the stuff you're not interested in (I seem to be alone in this opinion, but I like Oprah - not enough to pay extra for a cruise she's on, but that's me.).

According to Forbes, Oprah has a net worth of $3 billion. Although obviously not popular to some posting on this thread she is very popular and has a brand recognized around the world. Why let it bother you so much? Did you really want to go on one of the 4 cruises they have marked has O cruises, but now can't afford to go?

My advice is just ignore her, she doesn't need your money or following and if it does bother you that much vote with your wallet and book on another cruise line. A while back HAL chartered a cruise with either Fox News or some conservative organization that I would find much more offensive that anything Oprah could ever do. But I didn't let it ruin my future HAL cruises. Remember the line from the Godfather "it's just business it's not personal."

So a partnership with her is a huge win for HAL.

Well that's yet to be seen...it's a little early to hand over the trophy just yet lol

Time will tell.

Edited by styles27
decided to shorten my response lol

They could do that too. Like they have a partnership with America's test kitchen. But Oprah has a wider, more mass market appeal then what you suggest. I think TED talks at sea would be great as well.

All gets back to choosing a cruise for the onboard hotel resort experience or the actual travel/port experience; or both. What does the "mass market" want.

I had a HAL cruise booked the first week of July and just found out I have to cancel it. Was looking at alternatives and on the Oosterdam cruise vs the Eurodam cruise leaving 1 day apathy through price difference was around $1500 more for the Oprah Cruise.

I'm looking at Princess or Celebrity to compare some.

There's a pretty heavy mark up on the Alaska Oprah cruises. It's anywhere from $700 on an inside to around & $2,000 on a Neptune Suite. I compared fares to cruises on the same ship in nearby weeks.