Question About Tipping Bartenders

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, but I didn't see an exact answer when I went digging around.

My friend and I are traveling on the Ecstasy in May and purchased the Cheers package for the first time. I get the gist of the drink package and how a 15% gratuity has already been added in the price. However, I have a question concerning additional tips for bartenders who go above and beyond.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience tipping from your S&S account. I have $25 on a Carnival GC that I would like to use for this purpose (tipping). I know there is an option to do this on the bar tab and wanted to know if the reception of card tipping vs. cash tipping was different? Basically, do bartenders prefer cash tips? do they actually keep the tips themselves if I charge it to my S&S account?

Thanks!

Edited by simplyjustnoel

You can do it either way...sign for the extra tip, or just give them a buck...either way, the bartender who serves you gets the tip.

I think 15-18% is ample for almost every drink! If we spend a great deal of time at a particular bar, we tip extra as we leave, if warranted.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, but I didn't see an exact answer when I went digging around.

My friend and I are traveling on the Ecstasy in May and purchased the Cheers package for the first time. I get the gist of the drink package and how a 15% gratuity has already been added in the price. However, I have a question concerning additional tips for bartenders who go above and beyond.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience tipping from your S&S account. I have $25 on a Carnival GC that I would like to use for this purpose (tipping). I know there is an option to do this on the bar tab and wanted to know if the reception of card tipping vs. cash tipping was different? Basically, do bartenders prefer cash tips? do they actually keep the tips themselves if I charge it to my S&S account?

Thanks!

You can sign for the tip and apply the gift card to your sail and sign. The bartenders don't care and an extra $1 on a drink can help expedite your order. Yes, they get the tips whichever way you do it.

We just did this. We had CHEERS. When we found a bartender that we liked, or went above and beyond, or served us with a smile, we just gave them an extra $1 or $2 on the receipt when we signed it. That was just added onto our S&S account. I think we spent an extra $100 in tips to bartenders by the end of our 8 day cruise.

But it's not necessary.

We just did this. We had CHEERS. When we found a bartender that we liked, or went above and beyond, or served us with a smile, we just gave them an extra $1 or $2 on the receipt when we signed it. That was just added onto our S&S account.

I do the same thing on cruises. If there are bartenders/wait staff that go even farther out of their way, I show my appreciation at the end of the cruise with a little "hand grease". ;p

We tipped extra for every drink we got on cheers and spent close to 200 on tips. I did a little snooping out of curiosity on my first cruise with cheers, and I noticed hardly anyone else tipped extra on their card when they had cheers. We do budget for extra tips but may reel it in a tiny bit next time, depending on the interaction.

Thanks!

Cash is king!!!

We just returned from an 8 day on the Sunshine, and we had the Cheers package for the two of us. We tipped a minimum of $1 per drink extra, on the slip, each drink. By day 4, the bartenders knew our usual orders, and they even sought us out when out in the comedy club, etc. By day 7&8 we upped the tips to $3 per drink for those couple of folks who did that. They were fantastic!

We add $1 to each drink order. They work hard and pour a better drink when you get to know them and tip them. I have read many people read about bad service with the Cheers package, but I never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a drink. Tipping a little extra always helps.