My passport expires day before embarkation

Just so you know you need to get your passports renewed more than 6 months in advance. For some countries you need at least 6 months remaining on your passport for it to be valid.

You may need to get your passport renewed more than 6 months in advance. If you aren't traveling to one of the countries that does require it than you don't need to renew it early.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll renew when I get back. Dh is the only one with an unexpired one (the kids don't have one yet.. I guess I'll work on theirs when I get back as well). I would need it back in 8 business days if I sent it off tomorrow.

I am going to go check my birth certificate now.

Depending on how close you are to a passport center you can get same day service.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/new-orleans.html

Thanks for the continued discussion. If we went to England, that would be in October, cutting it close.

I'm sad about losing this pic: at the time, I had my 8 year old son take my pic and its such a great picture! Lol

I guess I will work on renewal this week, if anything for the England trip.

Oh, I am sure I don't live near a one day place. I will look into a renewal service. Seems easiest.

I appreciate all the comments!

ETA: New Orleans is a one day place?!? I might be able to work that out.

Thanks for the continued discussion. If we went to England, that would be in October, cutting it close.

I'm sad about losing this pic: at the time, I had my 8 year old son take my pic and its such a great picture! Lol

I guess I will work on renewal this week, if anything for the England trip.

Oh, I am sure I don't live near a one day place. I will look into a renewal service. Seems easiest.

I appreciate all the comments!

ETA: New Orleans is a one day place?!? I might be able to work that out.

You don't need an Agency! A US Passport is easy to renew by mail. Go down to the UPS Store or Kinkos and get new pictures. Fill out the form online (here)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

Send completed form, a check and pictures and in 4ish weeks you will have a new passport good for 10 yrs. DO NOT PAY AN AGENCY FOR A PASSPORT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yeah, just saw that as I was filling in cruise docs. I'm nearly certain I have a birth certificate.

Sailing soon, do I chance getting a new one expedited or sail with expired passport and birth certificate?

I paid expedited for my daughter's passport ($182). Application was submitted on Saturday March 18th and we got it on Thursday March 30th. Your cruise is pretty close so I don't know if you will be able to get it so fast.

This is one of the few big agencies you can call and get someone in a reasonable time to talk with. They are usually very professional. I would call and get some suggestions from the rep. Keep us posted for future reference.

Send completed form, a check and pictures and in 4ish weeks you will have a new passport good for 10 yrs. DO NOT PAY AN AGENCY FOR A PASSPORT!!

While this is true, the OP is leaving on a cruise in a week and a half.

Will an expired passport work as a photo ID? :confused:

Might

But it is no longer considered a legal value ID.

Either sail with a BC/DL or make an appointment at a Federal Passport office and get a same day Passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

One of DD's school trips another student didn't have 6 months validity left on her passport. They arranged for her to get a same day Passport (the next day) at the Federal Building in Los Angeles.

While this is true, the OP is leaving on a cruise in a week and a half.

The poster is traveling on a Closed Loop Cruise. And states they have a Birth Cert. I advised that they get that BC out ASAP and review it and make sure it meets the requirements and that they actually have the BC.

Passports actually are supposed to be renewed at least 6 months before travelling out of the country. My friend was told she couldn't board a plane and had to delay her trip to get an expedited passport

Passports actually are supposed to be renewed at least 6 months before travelling out of the country. My friend was told she couldn't board a plane and had to delay her trip to get an expedited passport

That is only true if the place you are visiting requires that. It is not true of all destinations.