Vista during Spring Break - extreme lines and long wait for everything?

Never sailed during the Spring Break. But this year its only time we could go. Any advise how to deal with crowds? Any suggestions how to minimize wait time for everything? We have Early Dining reserved so that would not be an issue. But long lines to Rope Course, Air Bicycle, Water Slides, evening shows, buffets are really worrying me for our Saturday's departure.

When is your spring break? Our was the week of 3/27, which seems to be the most common week in the Midwest. We were on the Sunshine for our spring break and the ship was at capacity, I did not find it to be overcrowded at all. The only lines I noticed were around lunch time on Lido for tacos and burgers, but they moved quickly.

When is your spring break? Our was the week of 3/27, which seems to be the most common week in the Midwest. We were on the Sunshine for our spring break and the ship was at capacity, I did not find it to be overcrowded at all. The only lines I noticed were around lunch time on Lido for tacos and burgers, but they moved quickly.

We are leaving this Saturday. So it's a week including Good Friday.

I would recommend eating in the MDR for breakfast (or Blue Iguana). I'd avoid the Lido Buffet. The line was at least 30 minutes long and the selection wasn't great. If you wanted other items, you'd have to stand in that line, then go stand in another line for an omelet or whatever other option you are looking for.

If you want to do the Imax or Thrill Theatre, don't wait until the last day. Showings will be almost sold out.

I'd recommend staying on board on one of the port days to really take advantage of all the ship has to offer, without the crowds. We stayed on for Cozumel and rode the sky ride multiple times within a half hour. No lines for the ropes courses, slides (although the yellow slide was closed because the ship wasn't level...????), food, etc. The ship was awesome that day.

I wish our spring break was as late as yours!! It was really only warm enough to swim on ship in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and even then, it was pretty chilly!!

I would recommend eating in the MDR for breakfast (or Blue Iguana). I'd avoid the Lido Buffet. The line was at least 30 minutes long and the selection wasn't great. If you wanted other items, you'd have to stand in that line, then go stand in another line for an omelet or whatever other option you are looking for.

If you want to do the Imax or Thrill Theatre, don't wait until the last day. Showings will be almost sold out.

I'd recommend staying on board on one of the port days to really take advantage of all the ship has to offer, without the crowds. We stayed on for Cozumel and rode the sky ride multiple times within a half hour. No lines for the ropes courses, slides (although the yellow slide was closed because the ship wasn't level...????), food, etc. The ship was awesome that day.

I wish our spring break was as late as yours!! It was really only warm enough to swim on ship in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and even then, it was pretty chilly!!

Thank you. I believe in NJ most Spring Breaks end of March and throughout April, depending when Easter falls.

There are the same number of folks on EVERY sailing...the ships sail pretty much full all the time. You may have more families in the spring and summer, but the overall number of cruisers remains pretty constant.

There are the same number of folks on EVERY sailing...the ships sail pretty much full all the time. You may have more families in the spring and summer, but the overall number of cruisers remains pretty constant.

Spring break probably will be max capacity - each berth filled. Recent reviews are pretty negative about the wait and crowds.

Many people have mentioned that Taste Bar as a short breakfast line. Was that your experience?

Although Carnival (and probably every cruise line) will SAY they're sailing full, that isn't always the case.

On one of our cruises the chef told us during the BtF Tour that they had ordered 30% less food than normal for that sailing because they had sailed at about 70% full. The guy next to me sucked in his breath like he'd been sucker-punched and whispered "I wanted to upgrade before the cruise, but they told me they were sailing full!"

And yes, the lines were relatively short on that cruise. :)

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of the party-harty spring breakers on the Vista if any are still waiting for Spring Break. Most colleges not yet having spring break are smaller religious oriented colleges in midWest. Also longer itineraries are too expensive and too long for them. Nevertheless, expect a full ship. The main tip I have to avoiding lines for breakfast on the Lido is "don't sleep in". Blue Iguana gets lines too. Taste Bar or MDR on sea days works better. Don't do the Cucina or JiJis at lunch, but make reservations early and do go to both for dinner. Hopefully you aren't Anytime dining. but if so, get your ticket early and go at non peak times. Early to any Liquid Lounge shows you want to see. And just be prepared to wait at the comedy club (grab a drink from the sports bar while you wait).

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of the party-harty spring breakers on the Vista if any are still waiting for Spring Break. Most colleges not yet having spring break are smaller religious oriented colleges in midWest. Also longer itineraries are too expensive and too long for them. Nevertheless, expect a full ship. The main tip I have to avoiding lines for breakfast on the Lido is "don't sleep in". Blue Iguana gets lines too. Taste Bar or MDR on sea days works better. Don't do the Cucina or JiJis at lunch, but make reservations early and do go to both for dinner. Hopefully you aren't Anytime dining. but if so, get your ticket early and go at non peak times. Early to any Liquid Lounge shows you want to see. And just be prepared to wait at the comedy club (grab a drink from the sports bar while you wait).

Is JiJi free or for fee? Is it worth skipping one dinner in MDR and to there? We are not Anytime dining - we have 6 pm sitting.

Is JiJi free or for fee? Is it worth skipping one dinner in MDR and to there? We are not Anytime dining - we have 6 pm sitting.

At lunch it's free and like the Mongolian Wok--made to order. But partially because it's up stairs from Lido Buffet and across from the Cucina, you get long lines.

At night it's a prix fixe fee (appetizer, entrée , dessert), table service and everything on the menu is excellent.

Also at lunch on sea days, you can try the Serenity decks, made to order salad bar. Line moves quickly and it's a great free healthy :eek: option.

At lunch it's free and like the Mongolian Wok--made to order. But partially because it's up stairs from Lido Buffet and across from the Cucina, you get long lines.

At night it's a prix fixe fee (appetizer, entrée , dessert), table service and everything on the menu is excellent.

Also at lunch on sea days, you can try the Serenity decks, made to order salad bar. Line moves quickly and it's a great free healthy :eek: option.[/quote

One more question. JiJi requires reservation for dinner? When to make reservation? Right away when getting on-board?

One more question. JiJi requires reservation for dinner? When to make reservation? Right away when getting on-board?

That's what we did. Pick night. You can do it via the Carnival Hub or your TV in your cabin or while walking around the ship. They may have people out along the lobby or Lido deck promoting.

Also, if you like Asian, don't forget Bonsai Sushi, there's a fee but no reservations are needed. We ate there on night 1 because of a mess up in our dining assignment and again one night when the MDR menu wasn't as appealing.

I cant wait also to get on on Sat!

My wife looked and it appears that central and lower Florida primarly has their spring break this week. So we expect alot more kids this time around on the Vista ( to be fair however, we did the Vista as the Trans-Atlantic with less than 20 kids on the ship).

I would suggest you look ahead of time at everything you want to do when you get on the ship. It is a HUGE Ship with TONS of options. Make a list, write it down, and hang it on your stateroom wall. Then start checking things off day 1... you probably wont get to everything but if you dont start right away then you wont get to most of it.

For the outdoor stuff, look to show up when it opens, that will get you the shortest lines. For food, look to be there during off peak times. Dont show up to lunch at 12, show up at 11, or 1. Either time will make it better.

Also, if you are up to spending money, you can get great food at the Red Frog Pub ( you will find me in there a bunch) for lunch and dinner time, you can get some interesting tastes in the Havana bar at night, Sea Food Shack has great food, as to order from the market section, much better than the pre-set items and Sushi is great. The Steakhouse, Cucina, and JiJi are going to book up fast, so I suggest you go ahead on your first night and book them. You can always release the reservation the day before if you decide not to do it.

And, if you are a true foodie, and are luck ( meaning it is not already sold out before you even get on the ship ) then try to book the Chefs Table. It was the best food experience I have ever had on a cruise ship ( and this ship is unique that it has its own menu, plus its own private room dedicated to the experience).

Its gonna be a great cruise!

I cant wait also to get on on Sat!

My wife looked and it appears that central and lower Florida primarly has their spring break this week. So we expect alot more kids this time around on the Vista ( to be fair however, we did the Vista as the Trans-Atlantic with less than 20 kids on the ship).

I would suggest you look ahead of time at everything you want to do when you get on the ship. It is a HUGE Ship with TONS of options. Make a list, write it down, and hang it on your stateroom wall. Then start checking things off day 1... you probably wont get to everything but if you dont start right away then you wont get to most of it.

For the outdoor stuff, look to show up when it opens, that will get you the shortest lines. For food, look to be there during off peak times. Dont show up to lunch at 12, show up at 11, or 1. Either time will make it better.

Also, if you are up to spending money, you can get great food at the Red Frog Pub ( you will find me in there a bunch) for lunch and dinner time, you can get some interesting tastes in the Havana bar at night, Sea Food Shack has great food, as to order from the market section, much better than the pre-set items and Sushi is great. The Steakhouse, Cucina, and JiJi are going to book up fast, so I suggest you go ahead on your first night and book them. You can always release the reservation the day before if you decide not to do it.

And, if you are a true foodie, and are luck ( meaning it is not already sold out before you even get on the ship ) then try to book the Chefs Table. It was the best food experience I have ever had on a cruise ship ( and this ship is unique that it has its own menu, plus its own private room dedicated to the experience).

Its gonna be a great cruise!

Thank you. This is my 15th or so cruise so I am not new to crusing, just first time during Spring Break. We like MDR but one night hoping to get reservation for Steakhouse. We done on Pride and loved it. Will skip on Bonsai since we already tried on three other trips. Maybe Jiji one night if not too expensive. We are earlier eaters so showing up earlier for lunch and breakfast at Lido would not be an issue. It's other things like water slides, air ride, rope course would like to do at least few times. Will try doing it during port stops.