Canadian's renting cars in Skagway

thawan

I have booked a cruise May 7 to 14th What to do in Skagway for us was a no brainer. WP railroad, I have just found out the first trip is May 16th :mad:

DH agreed to car rental. I read how to arrange through the Anchorage office of Avis, and phone and confirm when they open May 9, :mad: We will be in Skagway May 11

I also read (about) 5 out of 6 comments for Sourdough rentals were good.

But on the Avis sight it says that a Canadaian cannot drive a US car rental into Canada!! (Canadian law) Is there a way around this. Is it just a matter of making sure there is a Canadian 'license tag'

Help Please

Thank you for the confirmation. I was hoping that there was a special agreement or something between the two countries for the north.

DH is concerned about having a "pit stop" when needed. He really wanted the train, he's a train buff. But just says that gives us a reason to go again.

Just means more research LOL

Is this for Canadian drivers only? I noticed someone making this statement online but didn't see it at the Avis website so just wanted to make sure that when we rent a car from Skagway that we can legally drive to the Yukon.

"Most car rental companies will not allow cars rented in Alaska to be taken out of that state."

Thanks,

Miriam

You need to take your passport or certified birth certificate and a photo I.D. (for each person the vehicle) to have when you enter the Yukon and return to the U.S. but there is no problem with U.S. citizens renting a car in Skagway and driving it into Canada for the day. Of course the driver has to have a valid U.S. license :rolleyes: but then ya figured that out, right?

Archived