Stone crab claws in Port Canaveral?

I think the Chart House in Melbourne offers them in season (mid-Oct. to mid-May).

http://www.chart-house.com/

The Joe's Crab Shack chain has a couple of outlets in Orlando along International Drive and Disney, but I do not believe they offer stone crabs.

Maybe Cap. BJ or others in the area know of local spots.

really not seen that much around here IME

when I want 'em I head to Miami or get from Publix and eat at home. like most crab, anything you get here was cooked and frozen previously

River Rocks (US-1, Viera/Rockledge) and Chart House (US-1 Melbourne near Eau Galle cswy) sometimes have but call and ask.

VERY $$$$ ... seasons have been poor last few years ....

really not seen that much around here IME

when I want 'em I head to Miami or get from Publix and eat at home. like most crab, anything you get here was cooked and frozen previously

River Rocks (US-1, Viera/Rockledge) and Chart House (US-1 Melbourne near Eau Galle cswy) sometimes have but call and ask.

VERY $$$$ ... seasons have been poor last few years ....

Thank you Capt_BJ! How about blue claws? I know..I know.. big difference but I haven't had a good crab up north here all winter :D

once again I'd say that this is not a big product locally so don't expect to find anything great locally .. for me, blue claw = Maryland ...... not a big product here

let me share some observations:

I lived near the port in the 80's (was stationed on a cutter operating from the port from summer 86 to summer 89). At that time Port Canaveral was an active commercial fishing port .... I'd watch commercial boats come in with BIG catches and unload at the many fish houses on an afternoon from the bridge of my cutter.

And then they started developing the 'west basin' ... for cruise ships

Today you have cruise terminals and a handful of restaurants, and NO fish houses. If you go to 'the Cove' to buy fish you'd be better off going to the grocery store ..... even the tourist fishing boats come back with NO KEEPABLE CATCH .........

BUT, you can find seafood places ... realize they got what they are serving you from SYSCO ... same as you get at home .....

IF Grills has Lion Fish ..... that's fresh

lion fish is an invasive species to the Carib' and Florida

Grills supports eradication efforts by purchasing wild catch

lion%20fish%20dinner_zps37mhektm.jpg

aime%20and%20lion%20fish_zpssbg4t87b.jpg

very yummy ... the taste is a very mild white fish

Lionfish is AMAZING!! My husband soaks it in buttermilk and hotsauce and deep fries it. So good.

Just an FYI, Lionfish live in coral 'caves' so you can't traditionally fish for them. They have to be caught by spear or gun one at a time.

I haven't seen them in restaurants because they are so hard to catch so I'm assuming they are expensive.

compared to Stone Crab, the price is downright reasonable! They don't always have it ... in the cold months there are fewer divers so supply is low.

http://www.grillsseafood.com/lionfish-invasion/

With no known predators, the population of these extremely prolific carnivores has exploded over the last 10 years. Lionfish will eat anything up to half their size, including juvenile grouper and snapper. The overall impact on reef systems and important commercial fisheries is still unknown.

Grills is very concerned about the problem, but we feel that you, our customers, can be a huge part of the solution! Contrary to popular belief lionfish meat is not poisonous; in fact, the venomous spines protect some of the most delicious white flakey meat you will ever taste.

After experimenting with many recipes and cooking techniques Grills is very excited to offer you our “FROILED” Asian Lionfish. Par fried whole lionfish, glazed with their own sweet and savory sauce, then broil finished to fall off the bone perfection. You will not be disappointed!

We are paying top dollar for divers willing to take the risk! We need more lionfish!

(properly handled the fish is very safe & is almost ALWAYS taken by spear ... but improperly handled the spines on top can inject a VERY PAINFUL venom. once the top spines are cut off, it is just another fish)

Please bring the fish to Port Canaveral Grills. They accept fish between the hours of 7am and 3pm through the prep room procurement staff. Bring a copy of your Saltwater Products License.

bad-lionfish.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ