My boyfriend's first cruize! How to make it special??

Summercrusin

Hello everyone!

I just booked a cruise for my family this July on the Carnival Vista. Its the 7 day Caribbean cruise. The kids and I have cruised once before and are over the moon excited. We are counting down the days!! This will be my boyfriend's first cruise and he doesn't understand our excitement. He isn't really the type to get excited about anything. We will also be celebrating his birthday on the second day of our sailing. He loves Italian food so I made reservations for us at the Cucina del Capitano restaurant.

For all of you seasoned cruiser I wanted to pick your brains and see if you had any suggestions on how to make this cruise really special for him. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Thank you!!!

This will sound counter-intuitive but maybe tone down the hype? Let him discover how awesome it is on his own rather than trying to find a way to like your thing. If you build it up too much it may be a high bar to meet.

One thing I like to do is sneak off to Pixels when the other person's occupied elsewhere and buy a nice picture of them and their family, then sit on it until Christmas or their next birthday and then bust it out.

Buy spa thermal suite passes for both of you for some quality alone time.

I'm sure you know Carnival sells packages on their website where they will decorate the room for his birthday.

As to Italian food - there's actually no such thing. Italy is made up of 20 different regions, each of which has its own cuisine. You can read about it here: http://www.rusticocooking.com/regions.htm

In the US, most people go to Italian restaurants which serve a sampling of classic dishes from many different regions, but one of the funniest things about it is many of the things people in the US think are Italian (Spaghetti and Meatballs, for example) are not. (Chinese food in the US is also distinctly NOT Chinese either but dishes invented for Americans by Chinese immigrants. You might find it interesting to learn that the fried chicken pieces in Cashew chicken is the most likely basis of McDonald's Chicken McNuggets minus the brown sauce.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgYPJT0mRaw

This will sound counter-intuitive but maybe tone down the hype? Let him discover how awesome it is on his own rather than trying to find a way to like your thing. If you build it up too much it may be a high bar to meet.

One thing I like to do is sneak off to Pixels when the other person's occupied elsewhere and buy a nice picture of them and their family, then sit on it until Christmas or their next birthday and then bust it out.

I have to agree...the more you "talk it up", the more "let down" he is apt to be. Discovery of your 1st cruise is what makes it "special"!

Buy spa thermal suite passes for both of you for some quality alone time.

I'm sure you know Carnival sells packages on their website where they will decorate the room for his birthday.

As to Italian food - there's actually no such thing. Italy is made up of 20 different regions, each of which has its own cuisine. You can read about it here: http://www.rusticocooking.com/regions.htm

In the US, most people go to Italian restaurants which serve a sampling of classic dishes from many different regions, but one of the funniest things about it is many of the things people in the US think are Italian (Spaghetti and Meatballs, for example) are not. (Chinese food in the US is also distinctly NOT Chinese either but dishes invented for Americans by Chinese immigrants. You might find it interesting to learn that the fried chicken pieces in Cashew chicken is the most likely basis of McDonald's Chicken McNuggets minus the brown sauce.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgYPJT0mRaw

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing it.