Cruise Cruise Heading Out on Avalon!

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

I'm heading over to Amsterdam on Monday night to board Avalon Visionary. Several media have been invited to meet Avalon's new execs, Pam Hoffee and Terri Burke. There's a press conference planned, and we've also been told that the Avalon Fresh menu will be in place (this is supposed to be across the whole fleet this year).

It's a short trip, I'll be back on Saturday. If anyone has any burning questions about Avalon, let me know and I'll try to find out!

Looking forward to reading your review. Going in June.... Basel to Amsterdam on Imagery. Also interested in your comments re Avalon fresh. Enjoy your trip.

Hi, Joy2travel--

We will be on the Christmas Market cruise Basel to Amsterdam on the Imagery II, leaving 12/16. I have started a thread in River Cruise Roll Calls for All Avalon Imagery II in 2017, but it hasn't gotten much input. I--and I am sure the one other person who has posted to it--would appreciate it if you would post your plans to that thread and help us keep it alive! It is on page 3.

As you will take your cruise ahead of us, I really look forward to hearing all about it.

Most want to know if the new 'Fesh' menu is really different with healthy choices

My husband wants hot oatmeal for breakfast.Do we need to request this ahead of time

Travelling June 23 Amsterdam to Budapest

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Joy2travel--

We will be on the Christmas Market cruise Basel to Amsterdam on the Imagery II, leaving 12/16. I have started a thread in River Cruise Roll Calls for All Avalon Imagery II in 2017, but it hasn't gotten much input. I--and I am sure the one other person who has posted to it--would appreciate it if you would post your plans to that thread and help us keep it alive! It is on page 3.

As you will take your cruise ahead of us, I really look forward to hearing all about it.

Hi, mild3536. Will go back to your thread when I return and post some comments about my trip. Planning on doing most of the optional tours also and have signed up for them. Will let you know what I think....I'm sure I will enjoy every minute! Happy travels.

I'm heading over to Amsterdam on Monday night to board Avalon Visionary. Several media have been invited to meet Avalon's new execs, Pam Hoffee and Terri Burke. There's a press conference planned, and we've also been told that the Avalon Fresh menu will be in place (this is supposed to be across the whole fleet this year).

It's a short trip, I'll be back on Saturday. If anyone has any burning questions about Avalon, let me know and I'll try to find out!

Have a fun trip Chris! We leave on April 20 for Avalon on the Rhone. Looking forward to your report and to the new menu!

• Members
Please ask them if the change from piano player to DJ in the lounge will be permanently on all boats. Thanks

There are no permanent plans to change the piano players to DJs. Per Hoffee, the line tested using DJs and the move wasn't popular with guests.

That being said, I expect that there might be more iterations. We have a Bulgarian musician on this trip and....well, let's just say that listening to Sweet Home Alabama in a heavy Eastern European accent is entertaining, but not perhaps in the way the line wants. Tonight will be our first night having local performers onboard; I expect the line to look at adding more of those.

There are no plans to change the piano players to DJs. Per Hoffee, the line tested using DJs and the move wasn't popular with guests.

That being said, I expect that there might be more iterations. We have a Bulgarian musician on this trip and....well, let's just say that listening to Sweet Home Alabama in a heavy Eastern European accent is entertaining, but not perhaps in the way the line wants. Tonight will be our first night having local performers onboard; I expect the line to look at adding more of those.

Thanks Chris! I enjoyed your article. Sounds like Avalon is joining others in trying to expand the river cruising demographic. I know what you mean about musicians. I have fond memories of a heavily accented " And I've got friends in low places..." from a couple of years ago!

• Members

My husband wants hot oatmeal for breakfast.Do we need to request this ahead of time

I can confirm that hot oatmeal is available for breakfast. You don't have to order it ahead of time.

The Avalon Fresh items are on every menu and at every course. You can still get regional dishes, as well as "available anytime" items. I'm going to post more about Amazon Fresh, as well as some of the new Active excursions, in an article tomorrow.

I can confirm that hot oatmeal is available for breakfast. You don't have to order it ahead of time.

The Avalon Fresh items are on every menu and at every course. You can still get regional dishes, as well as "available anytime" items. I'm going to post more about Amazon Fresh, as well as some of the new Active excursions, in an article tomorrow.

Thanks Chris, While I may enjoy the Fresh menu, I was looking forward to eating the more regional fare..that's part of travelling. It would be very disappointing if you just get normal foods.

There are no plans to change the piano players to DJs. Per Hoffee, the line tested using DJs and the move wasn't popular with guests.

Thanks for this information. I know what you mean by the quality of some of the entertainment but I still find it much more preferable to having a DJ. On our trip last year the resident player was very good as were most of the entertainers that were brought on board. Keep that up and improve where possible Avalaon.

• Members

What's cool is that some of the Avalon Fresh items ARE regional. Had an Indonesian inspired noodle dish and a Dutch cucumber cocktail in Amsterdam. Both were Avalon Fresh items and very tasty.

In terms of entertainment...I prefer a DJ as I like to dance but I'm not the majority demographic. [emoji1]

I am excited to see your posting about Avalon Fresh. I am part of a group of 3 leaving on an Avalon cruise May 4th. One of the reasons we picked Avalon was because of the Avalon Fresh menu. Two out of the three in our group are vegetarians and are excited for expanded options for vegetarians!