Top B&B vs Santa Chiara

stickyshocker

A highly regarded B&B in Cannaregio:

-5/5 on TAdvisor and avg of 9 on others

-$200 cheaper

-Breakfast delivered in-room

-Corner alley in Strada Nouva & 2mins walk from Vaporetto stop.

-Canal View

or Hotel Santa Chiara

-Quadruple room in an annex bldg.

(Garbage bin views)

-No Breakfast

-But close to People Mover

Im booked with these two and

having read the most recent discussion about Hotel SC had brought me the cruise hassle issue.

Would the pros of the B&B good enough to trade convenience to stay pre cruise in Cannaregio?

Ps: 5 months away

Thanks in advance

$200 a nite?

Why the need to be close to the pier .....Do you have mobility issues? Can't easily manage your luggage? Toddlers ?

I mean we're only talking about a one-time transfer to the pier, so there must be a reason it dictates your lodging.

$200 a nite?

Why the need to be close to the pier .....Do you have mobility issues? Can't easily manage your luggage? Toddlers ?

I mean we're only talking about a one-time transfer to the pier, so there must be a reason it dictates your lodging.

$200 USD ( or more in my CAD $) cheaper for the total stay, Its just the convenience of not having to transfer twice(taxi+Actv)from the airport and to the pier(Actv+P.Mover) thats makin me keep the SC booking. We have 2 check in luggages and kids ages 7&8. I also found out that family rooms in Santa Chiara are only located at it's classic bldg and doesn't come with a comp breakfast. First time in Venice so i welcome all the inputs on the jam im currently in.

So you have 2 wheeled suitcases and 3 or 4 backpacks? That doesn't sound excessive.

But you must have concerns about your ability to manage the situation if you want to spend $200 for convenience.

Personally I would go with the B&B. But that's me. Only you can decide what works best for YOUR family.

Another thought ... store the large suitcases at the Left Luggage facilty at Piazzale Roma for 5/6E each bag per day.

We stayed in cannaregio a few years ago pre cruise. It's not very convenient for sightseeing but fine with the vaporetto. It's not much fun dragging luggage on and off the vaporetto and we didn't have kids but it seems a straightforward run to P. Roma on the vaporetto. For $200 l would do it.

The OP asks a great question which is simply should one trade location for more desirable accommodations When it comes to Venice we think the answer really depends on the specific traveler(s) and their ability to walk plus handle their own luggage. If one is easily able to move around with all their own luggage then we would consider many locations within Venice that are some distance from the P. Roma. But if mobility or moving hauling your own luggage (including over pedestrian bridges) is an issue then the P. Roma is the best location in Venice! When it comes to Venice, one cannot over emphasize the issue of moving one's luggage. The exception would be to pay the big bucks (often over 100€) and hire a private water taxi to take you from Point A to a specific hotel dock.

Hank.

The dock to the B&B is at Ca D'Oro, and deriving from G maps, I can see us hiring a private water taxi on arrival instead and maybe just improvise on the day of the cruise. Touching on our ability to haul stuff, we've never faced anything like this so it's hard to tell..

Is there nothing closer to the Santa Lucia train station ? Try the Santa Lucia Hotel. I checked it out for a future stay; but then my party of 2 became 4 adults with a 1 yr old, so I changed to a 2 bedroom apt by the Rialto. Santa Lucia was a simple place, but very clean, b'fast and within a 10 minute walk of PRoma.

Also, look at something near an Alilaguna stop. ( Rialto is very convenient)

The Alilaguna orange line would take you from the airport to Venice and blue line to the cruise pier.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-arancio/map

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-alilaguna.htm

If you have 2 or 3 nites, look at apts as well.

But if all you have are 2 wheeled suitcases and a few backpacks, I think you'll be ok with the Ca D'oro location. I mean you're only walking the equiv of 3 blocks from PRoma to the Grand Canal vap stop. My mother was 80 at her last visit and managed a couple of bridges and the vaporetto.

Keep looking!

Is there nothing closer to the Santa Lucia train station ? Try the Santa Lucia Hotel. I checked it out for a future stay; but then my party of 2 became 4 adults with a 1 yr old, so I changed to a 2 bedroom apt by the Rialto. Santa Lucia was a simple place, but very clean, b'fast and within a 10 minute walk of PRoma.

Also, look at something near an Alilaguna stop. ( Rialto is very convenient)

The Alilaguna orange line would take you from the airport to Venice and blue line to the cruise pier.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-arancio/map

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/index-alilaguna.htm

If you have 2 or 3 nites, look at apts as well.

But if all you have are 2 wheeled suitcases and a few backpacks, I think you'll be ok with the Ca D'oro location. I mean you're only walking the equiv of 3 blocks from PRoma to the Grand Canal vap stop. My mother was 80 at her last visit and managed a couple of bridges and the vaporetto.

Keep looking!

For some reason this Santa Lucia hotel never showed up in any of the search engines I used, so Thanks for that!..The Alilaguna could be an option too( to the pier) if I can somehow find a way to cross from Ca D'Oro into St.Stae.

Does the Alilaguna service drops you right off by the ship?

Is it possible to walk with luggage from Ca D'Oro to Rialto or to P.Roma?

For some reason this Santa Lucia hotel never showed up in any of the search engines I used, so Thanks for that!..The Alilaguna could be an option too( to the pier) if I can somehow find a way to cross from Ca D'Oro into St.Stae.

Look at the map ....the Alilaguna stop at the pier is dead center in the cruise terminal.

It would take about 15 minutes to walk Ca D'Oro to Rialto.

No idea how long it would take to walk to PRoma. I'm guessing an hour. I have a terrible sense of direction so we got terribly lost when we walked from St Marks to the PRoma area; took us a couple of hours.

p.s. another option by the train. http://www.hotelilmorodivenezia.eu/wp/posizione/?lang=en

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Regarding your last question (on walking) we will simply say NO! That being said, it is possible...but not advisable. Walking in Venice, with luggage, is different then most places of the world. You may have to cross one or more pedestrian bridges which may (or may not) be conducive to rolling luggage. We would walk almost anywhere in Venice with a small piece of luggage (on wheels) that we could easily lift. But with a larger piece (think of checked luggage) one really needs to be careful...or in good shape. As to the Alilaguna pier at the cruise port, it is still a pretty long walk to most ships (depending on docking position) or to the terminal building normally used for cruises (there are actually several terminal buildings so this can vary). The good news is that walking within the port is completely flat so as long as your luggage is on wheels and you are mobile...walking is a good option. We have sometimes seen internal shuttle buses within the port...but they are hit or miss when it comes to the Alilaguna pier.

Speaking of walking in the port, many of us talk about the wonderful People Mover that connects the P. Roma to the port. But it is quite a hike from the People Mover Port station to the ships or the terminals. There is sometimes a shuttle bus...and sometimes not!

Hank

As to the Alilaguna pier at the cruise port, it is still a pretty long walk to most ships (depending on docking position) or to the terminal building normally used for cruises (there are actually several terminal buildings so this can vary).

Speaking of walking in the port, many of us talk about the wonderful People Mover that connects the P. Roma to the port. But it is quite a hike from the People Mover Port station to the ships or the terminals. There is sometimes a shuttle bus...and sometimes not!

Hank

I began to wonder, which one covers a greater distance walking to the cruise terminal, the one from People Mover or the Alilaguna Pier? And I assume that the Water taxi docks at the same pier too no?

I guess staying at SC only saves me one leg of the trip to the cruise ship, comin back is not an issue with me since we're heading straight to the airport and will fly to another city in Europe to spend our post cruise. It's getting clearer now :)

To put the "great distance" in perspective, several our shipmates WALKED from PRoma to the ship. They were frequent cruisers out of Venice and said it takes about 20 minutes .....they were 2 retired couples from Scotland.

Again, look at the map:

-When you disembark the Alilaguna, the most you would have to walk is the equivalent of 3 cruise ships.

- When you leave the People Mover station, you walk past the empty lot to the pier and to whichever berth.

I would choose the Alilaguna over the pMover just out of ease, shorter walk, plus a nice view.

You've got a room reserved ... that's the important thing. You have a few months now to work out the details.

Have a great trip!