Review of Enchantment Nov 12 trip

curiousjly

I thought this would be easier to give my review this way,

We had very little problem getting on. The Set and Sail paper is a MUST. They called for them after they would call for priority. Then, after all the set and sail people who were in that area went through, they would send in by rows the people who didn't have them. So, some who had probably been there for a much longer time had to wait.

The suggestion of having a document folder was a blessing, I was able to have all the paperwork right there, and it was easy to hand over and get right on through.

The gangway, it was longer than I had hoped for, but I was able to stop and take a rest for a minute, and then finish up. With the way they were doing the priority and set and sail, it wasn't a long line, there were small breaks, and there was enough room for people to pass me.

We went to guest relations to get the money put into our accounts, and to get the wireless set up (which I could not use, as RCI is NOT a secure site, so I couldn't send anything to my college, which requires info to be from a secure site). We filled out our form for the excursion, which I highly recommend doing, as there was a LONG line later that evening, and in the morning.

Went to cabin, was able to get in, and put up our carryon's. As for questions about getting luggage. We found two of our cases sitting by the door a couple of hours after we had come on board (would be around 1:30). Another one arrived about half an hour later, and we were looking for the last one, but it took about another hour for it to get there. I had divided up my clothes, so I had an outfit to wear to dinner.

People who didn't get their's by dinner time, were told not to worry, the dress code was being ignored for that evening. Some didn't get theirs until as late as 7:00. Many, like Sara and I, got ours spread out.

Dining, we were on the second floor, and most of the people I saw every evening were dressed nice for dinner. Not real fancy, nice pants, skirts and dresses, some men in jeans, but they were clean, neat and looked good. They had good shirts with them, no T shirts. I didn't see anyone in shorts.

As for the food, I wish I had written down the menus, it was for me a whole new world. I have never eaten in a real nice resturant before, so for those of you who are used to five star dining, it may be old hat, but for me, it was a treat.

I was able to sample foods I have read about, seen in magazines, and never dreamed of eating. Chilled pear soup, duck, lamb, sea bass, I can't remember them all. I tried a couple I didn't like, the entree's, but that wasn't a problem, I made sure I ordered the main meal something I knew I would enjoy. It is still hard for me to think of wasting food, to order something, not eat it and then toss it out, order something else, and not like that. So, I only tried one thing each night.

Windjammer Marketplace. It was a wonderful set up. There were sections all over the place, you could get a plate and wander, picking what you wanted. There also were foods I had never tasted, scones, I have always wanted to taste a scone, and it was delicious.

Fresh fruit, so much it was eyeboggling. I love fresh fruit, and every morning had a plate of pineapple, watermellon, melon, peaches, whatever was avaliable. And it was never canned, it was fresh. The only negative is not enough seating room.

The fourth night, was the Gala Buffet, it was of all types, veggies, some meats, and chocolate. And ice sculptures !!! It was beautiful. They would not let anyone touch it, until everyone who wanted to see it and take pictures were finished.

There was a big ship, right at the end. All over the place were nautical ice carving. The people who had worked on it were standing around, just beaming, so glad to hear the praises, and there was a LOT of praise, ohhhh and ahhhhhh.

I saw, took pictures, and left. Sara returned later, she was out with Stacy, and when she found out it was still on, she went and got both of us a plate of goodies.

I could go on forever about how wonderful it was. You read here of post about how great cruising is. And of reviews, but you can't picture it until you are there. The cruise itself is great. The ports of call, that is another story. Another post. But the ship, the cruise overall, was well worth the price, the time and the loss of grade points.:)

Janette L Y.

Great information. My family and I are going on Feb13th 2006 for a 5 day on Enchantment. First time cruisers for everybody except for a couple of people. I'M a meat and potatoes kind of guy so I hope they have a lot of man food (smile). The gala buffet you talk about is that the midnight buffet and did you have lobster night.

I could go on forever about how wonderful it was. You read here of post about how great cruising is. And of reviews, but you can't picture it until you are there. The cruise itself is great. The ports of call, that is another story. Another post. But the ship, the cruise overall, was well worth the price, the time and the loss of grade points.:)

Janette L Y.

??? What does that mean?

Regardless, it is clear to read in your post/review that this was something of a trip of a lifetime that you enjoyed so much--glad that you did. May the circumstances be kind to you and allow you more cruises in your near future.

Great information. My family and I are going on Feb13th 2006 for a 5 day on Enchantment. First time cruisers for everybody except for a couple of people. I'M a meat and potatoes kind of guy so I hope they have a lot of man food (smile). The gala buffet you talk about is that the midnight buffet and did you have lobster night.

Yes, there's a lobster night... but it sounds like you would prefer the steak and potatoes:) By the way, steak is available every night as an alternate dinner selection

Sorry, am so used to thinking college, that I forget.

I am working on my doctorate, and had to miss some class assignments, so, I lost some grade points. I had taken my laptop, with wireless, but RCI is NOT a secure site, so I could not log into the college site.

Thus, homework assignment not finished, lost two points, may have lost the quizz, am waiting to see if I can take it, if not, loss of 10 points. Am behind in other work, so may lose 2-5 points there. They add up.

As for the meals, there was a huge variety. My hubby is a meat and potato guy, and he would love the choices. In the dinning, there was steak almost every night, even on the lobster night, which was I think the third night. No one at the table I was at wanted lobster, two went for steak, and the other two went for something else, I don't remember what (steak was my dd and I). Was pretty good.

Windjammer will have lots of meat and potato foods, if you don't like the dinning room, you can't go hungry on the ship, it is impossible.

If someone tells me that on a cruise ship they couldn't find anything to eat, or what they liked, then they are anorexia, and they wouldn't be satisfied anywhere.

Janette

They had both, at various times. In the Windjammer that is where I saw them mainly. In the morning, they seemed to always have tater tots, one day they were too well done, but generally they were good. They had fried taters also I noticed.

In the main dining, one night I ordered turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was pretty darn good, not as good as my turkey, but good.

I am sure you could let the waiter know that your hubby wants mashed potatoes, and they will have them for him. Even if it is not on the menu that night.

One of the ladies at my table prefered her tea HOT, and so she sent it back, they brought it back to her steaming! ! After that, she always got her tea real hot.

Another night, one asked for lemon grass tea, they didn't have it, but offered her something else, don't know what but she said it was a good substitute.

They really want to make you happy, so just let them know, and if it can be done, it will be.

Janette

Thanks for the info. I see many more cruises in the future if my husband gets fed right. Kids are very flexible so no problem there. Now I'm really getting ready to go.

I'll betcha right about now you're thinking "See, if I'd found these boards before the first cruise, I'd have known more, would have asked for things I didn't see on the menu, and DH would have enjoyed himself even more". Sometimes there are things that seem so obvious afterwards but until someone tells you how it works, you would not have thought to ask.

As a husband who offers his DW "lots to hug" I hate to see your DH not feel he had enough to eat on a cruise--glad you seem empowered now to give the wait staff and kitchen staff he opportunity to show you their best and go above and beyond the menu!

Sounds like you had a great time. My husband is a meat and potatoe man _ Lancaster County cooking- Do they serve mashed potatoes anytime on the ship? Last cruise was on Costa- Italian food mostly- he wasn't real happy. He lost weight on that cruise.
If your husband likes to chow down on those quasi-Amish smorgasbords in your area, he is going to LOVE the Windjammer. No worries - he will be very very very happy, and full. :)

Thanks so much. I am really ready to go now. All I had to tell him was that there were mashed potatoes and he's ready to go. We are looking forward to having another cruise later - no kids the next time.

bonus points to those who get the subject line.

a cruise is great to share w/ the kids. and it is great when the kids are safe at home w/ relatives and its just the two of you, as well.;) we've done both types of cruises, and have both types booked for the first two months of '06--enjoy yours!!

Thanks so much. I am really ready to go now. All I had to tell him was that there were mashed potatoes and he's ready to go. We are looking forward to having another cruise later - no kids the next time.

I am in East Petersburg and just had a typically Lancaster County Thanksgiving Dinner. I am stuffed. Forget the potatoes. Give me anything but! My mate however is Lancaster County all the way:rolleyes:

Archived