Any Shuttles Waiting at Manhattan Cruise Port?

cidymom

I'll be on NCL Breakaway next month and was wondering if there are shuttles waiting at the cruise port for disembarking passengers or should I make a reservation. I have to get to Newark but my flight isn't until the next day so I'm staying overnight near EWR. The hotel has a free airport shuttle so I thought I catch a shuttle bus from the cruise port to EWR then catch the hotel shuttle. Does that sound like a good idea? or should I just book with a car service? Thanks for any advice.

Another option is to take a cab to Port Authority Bus Terminal and take the Newark Airport bus or take a cab to New York Penn Station to take NJ Transit three stops to Newark Airport. Bus is $17/pp. and train is $13/pp plus a $10-15 cab fare. No reservations required.

What hotel are you staying at? There are no Newark Airport shuttles waiting for your business at the cruiseport. You also don't want to just hop in a NYC yellow cab without understanding the fare rules that apply to cab trips from Manhattan to Newark airport.

• To Newark Airport:
    • Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #03 – Newark Airport.’
    • This is a metered fare. See Metered Fare information above.
    • There is a $17.50 Newark Surcharge.
    • Passenger is responsible for paying all roundtrip tolls.
    • There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.
    • Please tip your driver for safety and good service.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Edited by 138east

Absolutely, positive, definitely - do NOT book or take chances with Super Shuttles (Big Blue is popular out West, not here in metro NY area) even when your flight is the next day. If & when they show up, you might be on a scenic ride over different parts of Manhattan and also on New Jersey side, en route to your EWR dropoff, 2 or 3 hours later (thus, use the bathroom first ... seriously.)

There are no "direct" shuttles from MCT to area airports on a walk-up basis or otherwise. Going to EWR, you have a # of options - depending on your luggage & budget ... 138east/Carol above hightlighted your basic & popular options for many cruise pax on a frugal budget.

If you are on your sailing's Roll Call, ask to see if anyone is heading to EWR post-cruise ... about possible ride-sharing options. NCL is offering airport dropoff for LGA & JFK for $40 p/p post-cruise on our upcoming sailing next month, I'm not sure if they are also doing EWR - check when you are within 90 days of sailing when those items are listed on your MyNCL dot com.

You'll be getting off the ship in the mid-late morning and want to go to a Newark airport hotel right away? And do what for the next 20 hours?

I'd stay in NYC, go to your hotel and drop off your bags and enjoy the city! Go to the airport the next morning for your flight, easy to do and lots of ways to do so.

You'll be getting off the ship in the mid-late morning and want to go to a Newark airport hotel right away? And do what for the next 20 hours?

I'd stay in NYC, go to your hotel and drop off your bags and enjoy the city! Go to the airport the next morning for your flight, easy to do and lots of ways to do so.

Good point. I can't think of a EWR hotel I would want to hang out in for 20 hours if I had other options. OP - which hotel are you staying in? Hotel choice can be really important. You may not be able to check into a room before checkin time. Many hotels have no food service and there is no place nearby to eat. In fact fir the majority of hotels there is absolutely no place you can walk to except possibly another hotel - no stores, no restaurants, no services.

Even if the OP doesn't want to pay for a Manhattan hotel, luggage can be stored at Schwartz Travel for the day and it's a few block walk to either the Newark Airport bus or New York Penn Station for the bus or train to EWR.

Good point. I didn't think about staying overnight in NYC. I booked at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth. My flight the next day isn't until 7:00pm. I'll try to book at the NYC hotel I'm staying at before the cruise and see if I can get a good rate. It's close to the Port Authority Bus Terminal so I can catch the bus back to Newark on Monday morning. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.