Florida for Christmas: What not to wear?

mrsred

Hello ladies,

We will be driving to Florida to spend Christmas with DH's family (I'll wave to all of the Floridians here as we drive through ;) ).

I have never been to Florida in the "winter" time.

They are rather casual dressers, I am not.

DH says I really don't need to "dress up" :confused:

My question is what will the weather be like? Should I stick to linen and cotton pants/skirts and silk tanks/shirts? Is a light cardigan too much?

We will spend the majority of our time at his parents' place on the beach in Ponce Inlet, then some day trips to Orlando to visit other relatives.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

~e

I live in Maryland, but my aunt and uncle moved to Florida years ago and have since passed away. My aunt always said that all year round they wear light weight cottons and summer weight clothes. BUT...the colors changed. She explained that they wore darker colors, like browns, burnt oranges, etc. in the winter and summer colors in the summer. Hope that helps. This could be a little outdated, so if any Floridians out there want to correct me, please do so.

Welcome! We are just a bit north of Ponce. By the way, I have never heard of people wearing autumn colors, but they might! As far as clothing, bring everything. Seriously, the first year we were here, our son was in our pool in December; the second year, we had 3 days of freezing temps. Basically, we wear jeans or slacks and tees with a sweater. It will be cool in the AM but warm considerably by noon. And don't forget a bathing suit. Even if the ocean temps are cold, it's still fun to bask in the sun! Also, we have some pretty nice malls, so anything you need will be available!!! Have a safe drive and welcome to Paradise!!! We central/northern Floridians feel this is the best part of Florida; not heavy traffic nor as hot as south Fl. Enjoy!!!!!!

Esther

I live in Maryland, but my aunt and uncle moved to Florida years ago and have since passed away. My aunt always said that all year round they wear light weight cottons and summer weight clothes. BUT...the colors changed. She explained that they wore darker colors, like browns, burnt oranges, etc. in the winter and summer colors in the summer. Hope that helps. This could be a little outdated, so if any Floridians out there want to correct me, please do so.

I live in Jacksonville and it gets cold here; it will be 39 on Monday night.

You do not see Floridians in this part of the state - and I am in Tampa right now where I wore a leather jacket and boots last night - wearing linens and such. Weather can be chilly depending on where you are.

Advise you check weather.com before packing.

We have had light snow once at Christmas here!

I live in Jacksonville and it gets cold here; it will be 39 on Monday night.

You do not see Floridians in this part of the state - and I am in Tampa right now where I wore a leather jacket and boots last night - wearing linens and such. Weather can be chilly depending on where you are.

Advise you check weather.com before packing.

Kim

Ponce is further south than you or me and will be warmer. And last night was a flook!!!! Much too early for that weather.

Esther

Hello girls:)

Kim, A jacket in Tampa before Turkey Day? I agree with Esther...that

is definitely a flook;)

I remember over the years we are in shorts and t-s on Thanksgiving.

I do remember the year of the snow.....but that was back in 1989....

I was living in South Florida at that time and was going to drive up

to Jax to see my folks....my Dad told me to stay home....this city

(Jacksonville) didn't know what to do:eek:.

After living here for 40 years now, my opinion is the "Cold Weather"

here in North Florida doesn't start until after the new year.

Yes, we get cold fronts but I don't own a "winter coat." I have jackets and

some nice sweaters but no need for a long coat (in my opinion anyway).

As to the OP......you can bring a light cardigan, I think that would

be fine. And Ponce is further south...it will be on the warmer side.

I live in Ormond Beach which is about 10-15 miles from Ponce Inlet.

Today I was in Shorts and it was humid (my hair is a Frizz ball). It is 72 now but still humid. Monday it is going to get cooler in the 60's. There has been a few days I had on a cotton-knit-ish jacket (love the one from Chico's brain not working today, bad headache) and capri's. DH has worn sweatshirts but still in shorts.

This is a very casual area. As far as a bathing suit, for me that is done. Pool is in the 60's and they said on the weather that the ocean was in the low 70's last week.

The mall in Daytona is limited (IMHO) at best. Not at all like the ones 'back home' or in Orlando. But Orlando is less than an hour so your all set for visiting or shopping.

Enjoy your vacation

Oh my. I had no idea it had ever snowed in Florida.

Thank you everyone for your input.

At least now I have a starting point from which to build my wardrobe for the trip.

Casual..ugh!

Good to know there is a mall in Orlando should I *need* anything ;)

We did drive to Florida in July from Houston to visit family after the wedding and to catch the ship out of Ft. Lauderdale for our honeymoon. We stopped in Jacksonville for lunch...boy was it hot! Didn't get to look around much though.

Thanks again!

~e

Thanks esther e for giving St. Augustine a "plug". I've traveled a lot but lived here most of my life and it truely is a beautiful city. The "Nights of Lights" celebration started tonite and will continue until the last day of Jan. The entire downtown is decorated with white lights and is beautiful. On warm evenings you will find many people walking around late into the night. The town is relatively safe and if anyone gets a chance for a visit I believe you will enjoy it.

As far as the weather and clothes, do bring a lot of variety. Most of the days will be warm, but the nights will be chilly. Because of the humidity, a little cold goes a long way. I spent two years in Canada so I know what really cold weather is like.

Enjoy your trip!!

Sandra

Hi:)

Sandra, I LOVE St Augustine:D and am only 30 minutes away!

quote by mrsred:

"Oh my. I had no idea it had ever snowed in Florida."

In North Florida....and that was almost 20 years ago.

You feel the temp difference when you hit the Daytona area.

It is where the cool and warm separate. I lived in Miami for 3 years

and for them 70 is cool;)

Hi:)

Sandra, I LOVE St Augustine:D and am only 30 minutes away!

quote by mrsred:

"Oh my. I had no idea it had ever snowed in Florida."

In North Florida....and that was almost 20 years ago.

You feel the temp difference when you hit the Daytona area.

It is where the cool and warm separate. I lived in Miami for 3 years

and for them 70 is cool;)

Lois

We're in Palm Coast, oceanside, and feel the difference between us and St. Augustine; Daytona is not much different. Jax on the other hand, is a whole nuther climate.

IMHO I think is "in my humble opinion." There was a site where all the abbreviations were listed, but I haven't the vaguest idea where it is.

Esther

St. Augustine sounds wonderful!

DH mentioned wanting to go there in July when we drove down through...but time constraints :rolleyes:

Perhaps we'll have time on the way home.

I will certainly let him know it is a "must see".

Thank you for the great suggestions everyone.

~e

Hello girls:)

I do remember the year of the snow.....but that was back in 1989....

I remember that! My niece was Florida-born and had never seen snow, so we all piled in the car and drove to Jax. There was a 1/2 inch of snow on the ground and ice on the bridges, so the city was closed down tighter than a........well, let's just say it was closed down tightly. Having survived many, many extreme northern winters before moving to Orlando, we thought that was pretty funny. We scraped together enough snow for a snowball fight and she slid around on a parking lot and thought she had died and gone to heaven. We got on I-95 to go back home and didn't know it was closed until a state trooper pulled us over and ordered us off the highway. Got back to Orlando that evening just in time to see a few flakes drift down in our headlights. Hasn't snowed in Orlando since then. Maybe this is the year!

As earlier posters have said, be prepared for anything in Florida in the winter. I remember one Christmas morning back in the 80's, it was so cold our diesel car wouldn't start (down in the 20's). The stations don't have "winter diesel" here like they do up north, so when the temp gets down that low the diesel gets sluggish and the car wouldn't run. I tried to find a dipstick heater and couldn't find any auto parts stores that carried them. Other Christmas Days, we've sat around outside in shorts and t-shirts. Sometimes you're freezing AND burning up in the same day. Oh, Florida, my Florida......

A couple of years ago I took a cruise to Antarctica and called my husand from the ship. Granted it was "summer" in Antarctica and the temp was 35; he said it was 27 in Fl. And I remember being at Disney with a few friends in January one year and we had 5 days of high 20's. We had to run our pool pump 24/7 to keep the pipes free. So, Msred, anything goes!!! Have a great trip and wonderful vacation!!!

Oh my. I had no idea it had ever snowed in Florida.

Thank you everyone for your input.

At least now I have a starting point from which to build my wardrobe for the trip.

Casual..ugh!

Good to know there is a mall in Orlando should I *need* anything ;)

Thanks again!

~e

If you are not a casual person, and I am not either, pack what you are happy wearing. Although many folks here are quite casual, those of us that are "transplants" (I am a Northeasterner) are not necessarily so.

I lived in Tampa for 20 years and found the weather to be unpredictable in winter. When I lived in Miami, it was much less so.

JME.

If you are not a casual person, and I am not either, pack what you are happy wearing. Although many folks here are quite casual, those of us that are "transplants" (I am a Northeasterner) are not necessarily so.

I lived in Tampa for 20 years and found the weather to be unpredictable in winter. When I lived in Miami, it was much less so.

JME.

I agree CG.

I simply cannot dress down for 2 weeks straight.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

~e

mrsred, you've given advice to me before so I'll return the favor. Northern Florida is not all that different than Houston; perhaps a bit warmer. Central Florida including Daytona and Orlando stays warmer. Winter weather in Florida is ruled strictly by cold fronts or the lack of them. When there is no frontal activity, wind is generally from the south and we will have 70's & 80's in central Florida. When a cold front approaches we'll have a day of overcast and typically rain, followed by the wind shift from the north bringing cool (and sometimes COLD), clear weather. High temps for a day or two could be in the 50's (but usually 60's) but it will be sunny and feel pretty warm out of the wind. Typical lows in the 50's at that time of the year but after a front, 40's and sometimes even 30's can happen. So as other posters have stated, you need to be prepared for everything!

Orlando has a lot of malls but tourists generally stick with these three:

FLORIDA MALL: the largest by far with NORDSTROM, MACY'S (formerly Burdines), DILLARD'S, SAKS, LORD & TAYLOR, JC PENNEY, SEARS. Located on Orange Blossom Trail (US441) & Florida's Turnpike.

MALL AT MILLENIA: the mall with the expensive stores! Beautiful facility includes MACY'S, BLOOMINGDALES & NEEDLESS MARKUPS. Located at I-4 and Conroy just north of the Turnpike junction.

ORLANDO PREMIUM OUTLETS: Located on I-4 at SR 535 in Lake Buena Vista, over 100 factory outlet stores including the better names in an outdoor courtyard setting. IMHO, better than Katy Mills.

We've got discount coupon booklets for all three malls if you want a set. The mall in Daytona isn't worth a moment of your time if you all are coming over here.

BobK/Orlando

next up: Costa Mediterranea (01/06)

Msred

I've become more curious as this thread has progressed...when you say "they are casual dressers, I am not" and 'I can not dress down for 2 weeks", what do you mean?

I guess I'm just trying to paint a picture in my mind and wonder if your talking about wearing dresses/hose/heels, suits, or just pants and a nice top, with jewelry and hair/makeup done?

This area of FL is casual to down right 'just rolled out of bed and my clothes have never seen an iron, casual (or maybe even a washer)' or the wardrobe of the day, teeshirts with beer/bike slogans. I've haven't seen this many Mullets (male and female versions) since the 80's!

I feel like I'm in a giant fashion 'DON"T". I'm certainly guilty at times, but do try to look presentable when I leave my home. Like ironed shorts/capri's and tops (without sayings on them), and shoes and bag and belt that match. I use a comb and even wear makeup;) . This is the norm in my neighborhood and this community.

My daughter called tonight to find out the weather for this weekend so she would pack the right clothes. She said as she says every time she's here "I just don't fit in there, I stick out" . I know what she means, she does!

You'll want to visit the Daytona Flea Market while your here, some of the best buys! You can do your Xmas shopping, fake bags, fake sunglasses, skirts, tee shirts and even ,are you ready for this...WEDDING GOWNS:eek: . :rolleyes:

Anyway just curious what you mean.

Zeb

Bobk You are 100% correct on the Volusia Mall...not worth the walk from the parking lot! We go to Orlando when we go to a Mall!

Zeb

We're between Volusia and The Avenues and now the new Town Center in Jax. Best of both worlds!!! Actually, closer to Volusia, so it's there for a quick Dillards fix. And by the way, our car temp said 81 yesterday and at this moment the computer says 50!

Esther

Msred

I've become more curious as this thread has progressed...when you say "they are casual dressers, I am not" and 'I can not dress down for 2 weeks", what do you mean?

I guess I'm just trying to paint a picture in my mind and wonder if your talking about wearing dresses/hose/heels, suits, or just pants and a nice top, with jewelry and hair/makeup done?

My daughter called tonight to find out the weather for this weekend so she would pack the right clothes. She said as she says every time she's here "I just don't fit in there, I stick out" . I know what she means, she does!

You'll want to visit the Daytona Flea Market while your here, some of the best buys! You can do your Xmas shopping, fake bags, fake sunglasses, skirts, tee shirts and even ,are you ready for this...WEDDING GOWNS:eek: . :rolleyes:

Anyway just curious what you mean.

Zeb

QUOTE]

I live in Jax and find it pretty casual, much more so than in Tampa or Miami where I lived for periods of time.

I dress for dinner out and for evenings out in general. I know what your daughter means by not fitting in but for me it is something I am quite comfortable with and used to after living in FL for 30 years.

I was raised just outside of Manhattan and have always enjoyed clothes and fashion. I would not think of wearing shorts or dockers (have never owned a pair of those and would not) to dinner even at a beach restaurant. It simply is not something I am comfortable with. I wear a lot of dresses and skirts and am often overdressed in relation to most others but not by my own standards. I think flip flops belong in only very casual environments and that ball caps are not meant to be seen in a dining room.

I travel often to NY, Chicago, Europe, etc and am always struck by how nicely people are dressed compared to here. I feel right at home in those cities and others that are similar and have often felt like a fish out of water here.

I am who I am and doubt seriously I will be changing anytime soon!

Archived