Florida for Christmas: What not to wear?

mrsred

:) Good morning girls......very interesting topic.

I am a casual person.....I guess that is what makes us individuals.

I love dressing up for formal nights on a cruise. But here at home

if going to dinner at the beach and it is August (hottest month

around here) I will wear a shorts outfit without hesitation.

I am comfortable in them and can find something I feel good in.....

and will look nice on as well.

Shorts doesn't have to mean "sloppy".

I have a cute outfit...it is a rayon blend, soft...blue shorts and

short sleeved button down top....with a soft red and white pattern

in it. For me, I would wear that out to dinner....especially in the

dead of summer.

Hi Kim:) we are different, yet I know I consider you my friend.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

:) Good morning girls......very interesting topic.

I am a casual person.....I guess that is what makes us individuals.

I love dressing up for formal nights on a cruise. But here at home

if going to dinner at the beach and it is August (hottest month

around here) I will wear a shorts outfit without hesitation.

I am comfortable in them and can find something I feel good in.....

and will look nice on as well.

Shorts doesn't have to mean "sloppy".

I have a cute outfit...it is a rayon blend, soft...blue shorts and

short sleeved button down top....with a soft red and white pattern

in it. For me, I would wear that out to dinner....especially in the

dead of summer.

Hi Kim:) we are different, yet I know I consider you my friend.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Hi Lois,

I agree that shorts does not have to mean "sloppy" and also understand that lots of folks here are quite comfortable wearing them out. I also do not think that it is limited to just FL because many people choose to vacation here in large part due to the casual lifestyle.

It is really a matter of what we as individuals feel good wearing. I like to feel feminine and dresses and skirts do that for me. I also find them cooler and less restrictive than shorts and therefore more comfortable but I am very likely in the minority on that one. My mom has always told me that I march to a different drummer! And, that is ok with me : )

I am having fun today putting together my weekend wardrobe for Manhattan and can't wait to wear my favorite boots, my fur hat and my standard city wardrobe of black slacks and turtlenecks. It is my favorite way to dress and I do not have the chance very often to enjoy it!

And I am totally enjoying the cool weather we are having here today!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yes we do exsist!!! And now I am in NJ. FL (MiamI):D clothing in winter is late summer early fall for NJ. Sweater sets with cammi or sleeveless top, nice capris or clamdiggers, good fashionable shoes (afterall, your toes will probably be exposed) and swimsuits.

However, it does get cold enough for cold weather clothes (late fall) and a couple of days when you can see women sporting their furs.

FL is casual and fashionable, a delightful place that I miss dearly.

OMG Was in Sams CLub today. Not necessarily the place you 'dress up' to go. Anyway, there was this woman, pink suede boots, matching bag, and hat gray wool skirt (or dress) wearing a pink fur jacket. It is chilly here, but that was a little much!:eek:

Esther, what section are you in? We have friends in the C's B's F's & w's as well as the Hammocks and Grand Haven. We are in Ormond. Not far from Chico's, Ann taylors and Talbots and of course the new Destination Daytona Harley Davidson.

l

my parents live near west palm beach.

i have been to disney 2 times during x-mas. one time it was so cold we were dressed in layers and had to buy fleece blankets to wrap the kids up while we walked around on top of their winter coats. it was freezing.

another time we went it was in the 60s and we just wore short sleeve tops and jeans

down towards miami it can be cold in the 40s or it can be warm in the 70s. so i would check weather.com before you leave.

i always dress very casual. i bring shorts, capris, sandals, bathing suits, light jacket, and a heavy sweatshirt just in case it is cold, and jeans.

i have been to disney 2 times during x-mas. one time it was so cold we were dressed in layers and had to buy fleece blankets to wrap the kids up while we walked around on top of their winter coats. it was freezing.

another time we went it was in the 60s and we just wore short sleeve tops and jeans

down towards miami it can be cold in the 40s or it can be warm in the 70s. so i would check weather.com before you leave.

i always dress very casual. i bring shorts, capris, sandals, bathing suits, light jacket, and a heavy sweatshirt just in case it is cold, and jeans.

Zeb

We're in the Hammock in Sea Colony. Ever hear of it? Great little (350 home) gated community. The lady in Sam's must have forgotten to take off her Halloween costume! We do see a lot during Bike Week, don't we???? Are you in the Trails?

Esther

mrsred, you've given advice to me before so I'll return the favor.

WOW! Weather info and shopping info! Thanks Bob!

I've become more curious as this thread has progressed...when you say "they are casual dressers, I am not" and 'I can not dress down for 2 weeks", what do you mean?

I guess I'm just trying to paint a picture in my mind and wonder if your talking about wearing dresses/hose/heels, suits, or just pants and a nice top, with jewelry and hair/makeup done?

This area of FL is casual to down right 'just rolled out of bed and my clothes have never seen an iron, casual (or maybe even a washer)' or the wardrobe of the day, teeshirts with beer/bike slogans. I've haven't seen this many Mullets (male and female versions) since the 80's!

I feel like I'm in a giant fashion 'DON"T". I'm certainly guilty at times, but do try to look presentable when I leave my home. Like ironed shorts/capri's and tops (without sayings on them), and shoes and bag and belt that match. I use a comb and even wear makeup;) . This is the norm in my neighborhood and this community.

My daughter called tonight to find out the weather for this weekend so she would pack the right clothes. She said as she says every time she's here "I just don't fit in there, I stick out" . I know what she means, she does!

You'll want to visit the Daytona Flea Market while your here, some of the best buys! You can do your Xmas shopping, fake bags, fake sunglasses, skirts, tee shirts and even ,are you ready for this...WEDDING GOWNS:eek: . :rolleyes:

Anyway just curious what you mean.

Zeb

Zeb,

By saying my DH's family is casual, I do not mean to imply that they are sloppy or anything like that.

They prefer what I would consider country club casual. They do wear shorts and cotton tees (albeit from an upscale store).

My idea of casual...say running errands, would be a silk shirt or tee, capris, slacks, or fashionable jeans and of course high heels.

My usual attire tends to be more of "glam". Nothing extremely fancy for day, but I prefer skirts and feminine clothes with heels, jewelry. I do not ever leave the house without having my make-up and hair done...even if I'm going with a "natural" look for the day.

I am not comfortable wearing casual clothes such as flip-flops and shorts. I don't like them, and see no reason to buy them.

Wearing those for two weeks would be torture. Picture someone who hates wearing high heels and panty hose and had to wear those for 2 weeks. It would not be a vacation for them.

That said, I know his extended family is casual as well. I think it would be rude to arrive at their home for a Christmas dinner or other family gathering dressed to the nines when everyone else is wearing jeans and loafers.

I understand your how your daughter feels! I really don't care if I fit in, I just don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable around me. I can do that well enough without having my clothing choices do that for me ;)

As my sister says, I got all of the "glam and glitz" genes, she didn't. Of course she raids my wardrobe for those special evenings!

~e

Esther,

Yes nice community. We live in Ormond Lakes. We border Tomoka Park, and part of the 'loop'. Out our front gate (US1) to the west is 95 and the new Harley Dealer and east is the biker bars Iron Horse Saloon and Boot Hill. Not too bad, we are 1 mile from the front entrance.

You do see some sites:eek: . Nothing says fashion like a 50something, weighing 200+, in leather chaps and a thong, with her chest airbrushed to look like a shirt.:eek:

We should get some pictures during Bike week so the Ladies here can get the latest fashion tips!

Everyone should see this at least once. We walked around at the speedway during on of the days and went over to the IronHorse one night. I stuck out like a sore thumb. I wasn't wearing black, motorcycle boots/high heel boots and didn't have on a bandana.

Could count the people dressed like us. A few were my neighbors! Everyone is curious, PLUS they had Turkey Legs!

Zeb

And here I thinking that Florida for Christmas meant palm trees and tropical drinks with little umbrellas ;)

~e

Zeb

Not sure where you are. But I'll figure it out. You're right...with all the talk about hose and sandals, bras, white or not, what kind of shoes, etc, etc., they all NEED to experience one Bike Week in their lifetime. I think one of the strangest sights I saw was several years ago: 2 men in black leather pants--tight! Oh, to have their legs would be heaven!! Now that would be a thread, wouldn't it???

Esther

Zeb

Not sure where you are. But I'll figure it out. You're right...with all the talk about hose and sandals, bras, white or not, what kind of shoes, etc, etc., they all NEED to experience one Bike Week in their lifetime. I think one of the strangest sights I saw was several years ago: 2 men in black leather pants--tight! Oh, to have their legs would be heaven!! Now that would be a thread, wouldn't it???

Esther

I rode a motorcycle for many, many years in both Europe and in the states until I had an injury and loss the range of motion in my shoulder.

I have seen Bike Weeks before they became "popular" (pre-yuppie-fied).

I was always amused. One giant fashion don't after another ;)

My fave now is to see a group of weekend-hogs in their brand-spanking-new-still-squeaking-leathers.

~e

Esther,

Exit 273, US1, and go away from the HD dealership. Pass Racetrac, and the Kalin Furniture warehouse (same side), our entrance is right after that. About 700 homes in here. We are in the back, Estates near the boat dock. The building here is almost done. Our neighborhood the last home moved in on Friday. Still some smaller homes finishing up down the road and a few larger ones on the other side of the lake.

It's a nice community, one of the most wanted in OB. Not much come on for resale. We built a large home, too large, but did it because of kids, bike week we had 7 adult houseguests, not knowing if any would move with us,so far none did, and for resale.

Zeb

Gotcha! And msred, I get a kick out of the old mantra, "these bikers are doctors, lawyers, etc." Maybe so, but some of them are dirty, smelly, hairy, tatooed creatures! Heck, I'll give anybody the edge, but it's really funny to look at some of these people. Then there's the group that fly into Daytona airport and rent bikes! Ah, I just hate the event people who mess up our state; however, without them we wouldn't have such nice restaurants. So, as I say, I give the edge. But we did see a shooting several years ago. A police officer shot and killed a biker because there was a question of him hiding a weapon inside his vest. That shook me up; I've never seen a shooting before. But I guess the "event" that brings the most folk is the coleslaw wrestling...women in bikinis (every concevable size). Sorry, I ramble....

Esther

And before anybody picks on me, let me say I only find some of the outfits peculiar and funny. Not the majority of the people. But there are people who like to flash their duds and you really have to see them to appreciate them. Jeez, one of my favorite shows is American Chopper.

Esther

Zeb

Gotcha! And msred, I get a kick out of the old mantra, "these bikers are doctors, lawyers, etc." Maybe so, but some of them are dirty, smelly, hairy, tatooed creatures! Heck, I'll give anybody the edge, but it's really funny to look at some of these people. Then there's the group that fly into Daytona airport and rent bikes! Ah, I just hate the event people who mess up our state; however, without them we wouldn't have such nice restaurants. So, as I say, I give the edge. But we did see a shooting several years ago. A police officer shot and killed a biker because there was a question of him hiding a weapon inside his vest. That shook me up; I've never seen a shooting before. But I guess the "event" that brings the most folk is the coleslaw wrestling...women in bikinis (every concevable size). Sorry, I ramble....

Esther

I never really liked such events...I do not like crowds. Myself and some other military types would ride down for a few hours, check out the other bikes, then leave.

Never ceases to amaze me how insane people get!

I have never owned a Harley, so it wasn't like we blended in anyway. High heeled boots and diamond studs just wasn't the norm ;)

Yes..the "professionals" wanting to be bad for a weekend is always a bit funny. Renting bikes???? Oh my!

I liked having a bike in Europe though. A lot of open roads, and beautiful country. It was a lot easier getting around in towns as well since the roads are so narrow in some places.

Racing on the autobahn because when I was 19 I thought I would live forever :rolleyes: My father would have had a heart-attack if he had known!

Oh well...you're only young once.

~e

Msred

Back to your original post, I sure hope the weather improves for your visit. Today was cool enough for me to wear a fleece jacket and it was windy. Looks to be rather cool for the next few days. As someone else has posted, check weather.com regularly and see what it says. You sound like your'e going to look gorgeous! Enjoy our state and have lots of fun!

Esther

Esther,

I love American Chopper. One of my favorite shows. My DH hardly watches it anymore but I never miss it. They remind me of my DH and DS. Which is why I'll bet many watch, for the family interaction. They were't that far from where we lived in CT. Have seen them at the Mall a couple of times, before they were 'real' famous.;)

My DH has a Harley. It will be 2 yrs old in Jan and has about 1000 on it(maybe). It's a very expensive garage decoration! He never took it out during Biketober.

Our DS also has one, it is wintering in our garage. He was here for Biketober and left it till March. He does have tatooes, but only above his elbow and on his back. It makes me nuts that he did that, but he's almost 27 so I guess I have no say anymore. He can look like mr Corporate or like a biker(without the leather stuff).

Some rent bikes because they fly here. We have a giant trailor that is set to hold 4 full size bikes, (we only had 2 and never went anywhere with them, but you nver know when you'll need it) Well now he has used it 3 times.

I can hardly wait till BIke Week to see the new Spring fashions!

It was cold out today with the wind. Had a lite jacket. The sun was strong however. In the car on the way to Sams, I felt like I was getting a sunburn! And the windows are tinted! At least the wind has died down. Last night I thought the doors were going to blow open.

Oh Esther...think of all the possibilities...leather chaps with fringe, without fringe, with an animal print thong, show your butt or not. And what about the latest in fishnets??? Hose and SHIRTS??? Not to mention the latest in bustiers (sp) and boots. And lets not forget the accessories...beer holders, cigarette cases and chain belts to hold your keys. And I can hardly wait to see the latest in airbrushed attire... Ahhh the spring fashion line....right here in the fashion capitol of Daytona.

Those who don't live around here should book a flight now...they don't know what they are missing!!!

Msred

Back to your original post, I sure hope the weather improves for your visit. Today was cool enough for me to wear a fleece jacket and it was windy. Looks to be rather cool for the next few days. As someone else has posted, check weather.com regularly and see what it says. You sound like your'e going to look gorgeous! Enjoy our state and have lots of fun!

Esther

We'll be taking 2-3 days to drive out there (took 2 last time)....I just hope the weather doesn't decide to go crazy the second we pull into the state ;)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Much appreciated.

~e

Archived