Should RC adopt Singapore No tipping Policy

I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

What I said was that the tax laws of the nations to which many of the crew are citizens are such that changing to a set amount imposed by the line would result in substantially less take home for some. ....bUU

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

O.K. If that is all you have to say what else is there to say.

Edited by SG007

Let me get this one out of the way first. I believe you are talking about me.

I live in north America for 10 years.

The " a little corner of the world " Singapore has made news around the world for the many innovative things that have been done here.

Funny, why would anyone care where you live or how long :rolleyes:

Maybe you should retread your title

Same answer

If it was one price what % do you think would be included? 15, 20, 25%. You'll never know as it is not itemized. I customarily tip 18-20% for excellent service. Tipping % have been creeping up over the years.

What really bugs me now days, there a % on the dinner invoice ranging from 15-20. However, it is based on the entire amount inclusive of taxes. This is wrong as the waiter has not provided any added on value for the amount of taxes. I try to explain it to my son, but he thinks I'm old fashioned rather than a seasoned accountant.

servers are taxed on their amount on their nightly sales tickets. One of the reasons I prefer to tip in cash, they are taxed at 8% whether they are given a penny are stiffed for any tip at all they pay income taxes on a standard rate of 8%.

So, yes you should tip more if your bill is higher, the server will pay more taxes on the higher cost meal.

If you can't afford to tip the people who work hard to make your vacation memorable than maybe you should just stay home and avoid restaurants since tipping seems to bother you so much.

Funny how people on cc are always taking a little corner of the world and a common practice there and want to apply it to all the rest of the world.

I just say they don't get out much

setsail;52795093]Funny, why would anyone care where you live or how long

So which are you aiming for? Five diamond restaurant servers covering the same number of tables as Denny's servers and providing you the same level of service? Or some massively complex way of understanding how much more a five diamond restaurant server should be compensated as compared to Denny's servers?

The former.

The former.

Getting Denny's quality service when paying for a five diamond meal would suck. I'm glad you don't get to impose that on us.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

So if you have a five diamond quality service at Dennys they should not be rewarded the same?

When has that ever happened?

You're deliberately getting lost in the weeds. The reality is that the service specification for five Diamond restaurants and for Denny's is different and happens to correlate more closely with the price of the food than any other reasonably easy to remember rule of thumb.

The reality is that the service specification for five Diamond restaurants and for Denny's is different and happens to correlate more closely with the price of the food than any other reasonably easy to remember rule of thumb.

There's a really easy rule of thumb anyone can remember and it takes very little math - pay $20/hr (a reasonable wage for a shared waiter in the US) regardless of the venue or cost.

Funny how people on cc are always taking a little corner of the world and a common practice there and want to apply it to all the rest of the world.

Just wondering which little corner of the world you are from? :)

I'm from a little corner of the world called Australia (as it says in my signature). Like many Australians we get out quite a lot!

Well to be fair, It's US and their tipping policy culture that wants to apply to the rest of the world. So if the rest of the world doesn't tip, people in the USA will obviously not be happy as you can see from the numerous tipping threads and quotes.

In my opinion, I think tipping is necessary as it rewards the crew for their hard work and being far away from their families. I have talked to the crew members before and do empathize with them. Additional tipping is when the crew goes beyond the basic level of service they are required to provide or what RCL calls WOW service. If the service is bad like the others have said, talk to the manager and if it still can't be solved then remove or reduce the tips. If you are telling me that if the service is bad and after trying all avenues in order to make it right and we are still required to tip, then I think it's wrong.

Btw it's a person right whether to include Tip/gratuities or not. They paid money for the cruise and it's their call. And to see quotes like "If you don't tip, then don't cruise?" Oh please, look around at all the Beverage/ Room service 7.95 thread to name a few; puts the tipping thread to shame.

There's a really easy rule of thumb anyone can remember and it takes very little math - pay $20/hr (a reasonable wage for a shared waiter in the US) regardless of the venue or cost.

So somebody who was there when the restaurant is slow has to pay $20 because they spent an hour with that waiter serving them and somebody who's there in the evening Rush when the waiter is handling five tables simultaneously would pay only $4. Do you think people would be honorable and pay with they're supposed to given that system? Or do you think there would be many many Craven people who would say "it's not my fault that I'm having my meal when there are less people in the restaurant"? Sorry but your proposal doesn't pass the smell test least not for me.

So somebody who was there when the restaurant is slow has to pay $20 because they spent an hour with that waiter serving them and somebody who's there in the evening Rush when the waiter is handling five tables simultaneously would pay only $4. Do you think people would be honorable and pay with they're supposed to given that system? Or do you think there would be many many Craven people who would say "it's not my fault that I'm having my meal when there are less people in the restaurant"? Sorry but your proposal doesn't pass the smell test least not for me.

Well, that's how all fast food restaurants work. All employees get a hourly rate- so a good hour is paid the same rate as a bad hour. Nothing odd about that.

It's also how other stores work- get paid by the hour and not by the sale.

And for restaurants- ALL of the rest of the employees, most particularly the chefs/cooks- get paid hourly. Fast hour is paid the same as a slow hour.

Why should servers get paid differently? The cooks provide just as important of a service as anyone else does- but does not get any tips at all.

Well, that's how all fast food restaurants work.
No, that's not how fast food restaurants work: At fast food restaurants patrons have no discretion over the cost of service.

Why should servers get paid differently?
So your beef is with tipping itself. Don't like tipping? Then do the work necessary, and make the sacrifices necessary, to bring about your vision for the future. Until you're successful, don't try to rationalize away anyone obligations under the current system.

No, that's not how fast food restaurants work: At fast food restaurants patrons have no discretion over the cost of service.

Yes, it is. There's a price, you get food, you pay. There's a person who takes your order, goes and gets it, and gives it back to you. Just like the waitstaff. They get paid hourly wages.

The point is that there is a food service where tipping ISN'T part of the system, and it gets along just fine.

So your beef is with tipping itself. Don't like tipping? Then do the work necessary, and make the sacrifices necessary, to bring about your vision for the future. Until you're successful, don't try to rationalize away anyone obligations under the current system.

What work? There are restaurants out there who already have a no tipping policy- they pay the servers a wage similar to the rest of the staff. This isn't *that* hard.

It's more problematic to deal with people who think the old system is the only way to go, as if the incentive of a tip will make you work harder. How about - just be professional and work hard- like the rest of us do for work. It would be a heck of a lot easier that way.

I'm not trying to change anything, I'm trying to point out the rather obvious holes in the "we have to tip" argument that has been going on for so long.

The biggest hole in the current system- the people who work the actual hardest in a restaurant do NOT get tips. So there's no obvious reason anyone else *has* to.

Yes, it is. There's a price, you get food, you pay.
No, it isn't. At fast food restaurants, the cost of service is built into the menu price. At full-service restaurants, it isn't.

Different, no matter the attempts to make it sound the same.

The point is that there is a food service where tipping ISN'T part of the system, and it gets along just fine.
Asked and answered:

Don't like tipping? Then do the work necessary, and make the sacrifices necessary, to bring about your vision for the future. Until you're successful, don't try to rationalize away anyone obligations under the
current
system.

I'm not trying to change anything, I'm trying to point out the rather obvious holes in the "we have to tip" argument that has been going on for so long.
To what end? Or are you saying that you're posting for no substantive reason. You cannot really say, "I'm saying but I'm not saying," and expect for that to make sense in context.

No, it isn't. At fast food restaurants, the cost of service is built into the menu price. At full-service restaurants, it isn't.

Different, no matter the attempts to make it sound the same.

Asked and answered:

To what end? Or are you saying that you're posting for no substantive reason. You cannot really say, "I'm saying but I'm not saying," and expect for that to make sense in context.

Uh, the fact that the service is built into the cost of fast food restaurants is exactly my point. Not sure what you think I'm trying to say. It's an example of how you can have an hourly wage, work harder during fast times, less during slow times, and still get paid without a service charge.

Just like the cost of service is baked into the food for every other person who works in a restaurant. Just like it is for every other service industry. Or just like every other worker out there.

So it's feasible to have the service just baked into the cost of the food, and tipping would not be required.

Is that so hard to understand?

Geez

So it's feasible to have the service just baked into the cost of the food, and tipping would not be required. Is that so hard to understand? Geez
Is it so hard to understand that that isn't the current system and therefore has nothing to do with what diners should be doing in restaurants in the United States? Please read what I wrote again, and if you wish to reply to it, then please reply to it, rather than something I didn't write:

Don't like tipping? Then do the work necessary, and make the sacrifices necessary, to bring about your vision for the future. Until you're successful, don't try to rationalize away anyone's obligations under the
current
system.