Advice please on Caribbean cruise

Pean

We are in our mid fifties and have travelled and cruised a bit but never been to the Caribbean. We are trying to decide between two cruises for next year. One is a 14 day cruise leaving Miami on the 1 April visiting Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba

The other is an 11 day cruise leaving Miami on 14 May visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; St. John's, Antigua; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

I know it is a fairly subjective question but would appreciate people's thoughts on the different itineraries and times of year. We were also thinking of spending about three weeks touring before the cruise and believe spring break is around that time. I must admit our knowledge of spring break is from 70s movies 😄 so not sure if that needs to be taken into consideration when choosing the cruise.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would help if you tell us what you are interested in. Beaches? History? Snorkeling? Shopping? Local cuisine? Arts and crafts? Hiking?

Funnily enough I didn't even think of matching itinerary to interests. Thought more of looking for things to do once I knew where we were going. Probably more into snorkelling, cuisine and a bit of history.

Longer cruises tend to have fewer children and teens in general. Celebrity fewer than some other cruise lines, such as Carnival, NCL, and RCL. After so much traveling, you might be ready for a relaxing cruise, which either itinerary would give you. I personally like the first itinerary -- but agree that not knowing your interests it's hard to have an opinion.

Longer cruises tend to have fewer children and teens in general. Celebrity fewer than some other cruise lines, such as Carnival, NCL, and RCL. After so much traveling, you might be ready for a relaxing cruise, which either itinerary would give you. I personally like the first itinerary -- but agree that not knowing your interests it's hard to have an opinion.

Thanks Barbara. 14 days on a cruise has to be better than 11 :)

We have only done one Caribbean cruise and it included the ABC island in the southern Caribbean. I recommend the first cruise because it included to ports in those islands. My favorite island was St. Lucia, the natural beauty was amazing. Also, liked St. Thomas/St. John VI, Antigua, Barbados and Grenada.

We've been on a 7 day on Reflection and 3 times on Equinox 10 Day cruises on Celebrity. DW signed us up on board last month on the 14 Day Caribbean Southern Adventure on Eclipse next March. Future Cruise told us it was already one third sold out. Reading the roll calls it's amazing how many people take this cruise over and over, so something must be good. By April 1 spring break will be over so one less thing to worry about.

Enjoy your cruise. Voyages are measured more by friends than by miles.

Oh, and check out private catamaran sailing in Barbados with Calabaza! They can book very far in advance, so check out tripadvsor and if you like what you see get it booked. I sailed with them before and have them booked again this May and also for my January cruise, awesome day sailing and snorkeling!

Thanks everyone. The ABC cruise is booked. Time to start looking into tours. Calabaza does look great. That might have to be the first booking. Gotta love CC

I have sailed every where in the Caribbean but the ABCs until January of this year and I fell in love. I don't snorkel but I wish I did after that cruise. I loved it so much I booked another ABC cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a question. We've done the 14 day that included Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba (the ABCs) and it's the best! Woodwind does the best snorkel trip in the Caribbean in Bonaire (get the morning trip) and it's the best snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Weather? It's always warm in the Caribbean, the further south you go the warmer it is (getting closer to the equator). Seas are a bit cooler in spring than they are in the fall (at least in our experience), but you'll be in shorts and capris with short sleeve and sleeveless and flip flops and sandals no matter what time of year you go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to steal into your thread OP... I am completely new to cruising and am dreaming about booking this cruise for next March for both mine and my husband's 50th birthday celebrations. Have any of you that have done this cruise around March before had rough seas? People tell me the Caribbean always has calm seas at this time but I'm so scared of being unlucky! It is the only thing stopping me booking it :loudcry: Thanks in advance for advice.

We've done the Southern Caribbean cruise twice in the last three years and are booked again for next March. It's a wonderful cruise, one you'll never regret choosing.

Hi, sorry to steal into your thread OP... I am completely new to cruising and am dreaming about booking this cruise for next March for both mine and my husband's 50th birthday celebrations. Have any of you that have done this cruise around March before had rough seas? People tell me the Caribbean always has calm seas at this time but I'm so scared of being unlucky! It is the only thing stopping me booking it :loudcry: Thanks in advance for advice.

The past two sailings were in March and we had calm weather throughout. We've also sailed very similar itineraries on other lines several times in March with no trouble. Stop dreaming and start booking! :)