Nachi Cocum vs Maya Chan

b.cruising

Has anyone been to both? We absolutely LOVED Maya Chan and are thinking of booking Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Thoughts? Thanks:cool:

Haven't been to Maya Chan, but DH and I have been to Nachi Cocum and enjoyed it. No kids and about 3-4 other couples.

Haven't been to Maya Chan, but DH and I have been to Nachi Cocum and enjoyed it. No kids and about 3-4 other couples.

Natchi Cocom does allow kids. There were several families on the beach with us when we went. It is a lovely place, and very tranquil - despite children being there.

I heard that Maya Chan has a neighbor that refuses to clean up its property and that it's trashy. I've also seen many reviews complaining of a sewerage smell in the area and the water.

Any truth? I also see that it has overwhelmingly positive reviews on TripAdvisor so I'm confused.

I heard that Maya Chan has a neighbor that refuses to clean up its property and that it's trashy. I've also seen many reviews complaining of a sewerage smell in the area and the water.

Any truth? I also see that it has overwhelmingly positive reviews on TripAdvisor so I'm confused.

Was just there in February and no bad smells at all. Wonderful owners on site and did not notice any trash other than some beach areas on the way to Maya Chan.

Was at both last February and was our second at Maya Chan and been many times to Nachi. Doing both again in July and again next February. Never smelled any sewer smell and boh have excellent service.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Loved maya chan. No bad smells. Great service!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Went to both last summer.

I preferred Nachi Cocum, among other reasons because it has a pool, and it was a bad year for seaweed.

Maya Chan does get rave reviews, and the people there seem super nice and will bend over backwards for you, but it's a long bumpy cab ride, and on the way back to the port my return cab smelled like sewage. Between that and the twisty roads with lots of speed bumps, I was pretty queasy by the time I got back. You also go through some areas that look sketchy and abandoned. (I was traveling solo and it was all just a little unsettling.)

In short, Maya Chan is more rustic, but some people seem to really dig it.

Nachi Cocum also had better wifi, if you care about that.

Neither place seemed particularly inviting for ocean swimming, but it was a bad seaweed year, like I said.

Thank you everyone for responding. I loved that Maya Chan transported us to their beach club. What's the story with getting a cab to Nachi Cocum? Cost?

By the way, we were at Maya Chan in January and never smelled anything bad. We enjoyed it so much that we are returning in May. The service was exceptional, the beach was very clean, and the massages were great too

Haven't done Nachi Cocum but I went to Maya Chan in January. Loved every second - especially the massage! The food was fantastic & the servers were amazing. Everyone was so nice & helpful. No bad smells and we were not far from the bathroom. Maya Chan tells you upfront that they have a lot of sea grass - some people don't like walking on that because it can be slimy but its natural. There was a very attentive gentleman who raked the beach of the grass all day!

We went to Maya Chan in 2013. We loved the small intimate setting (I think there were about 12 private palapas there), and the service was fantastic. There was an odor of eggs (some said hard boiled, some said rotten) to the beach- we were told it was the sulfur in the water (?). The neighbors definitely did not clean up (both sides looked like a trash dump), but we preferred to look at the ocean :). Things may have changed since then....

It was definitely a relaxing day!

Thank you everyone for responding. I loved that Maya Chan transported us to their beach club. What's the story with getting a cab to Nachi Cocum? Cost?

By the way, we were at Maya Chan in January and never smelled anything bad. We enjoyed it so much that we are returning in May. The service was exceptional, the beach was very clean, and the massages were great too

Taxis in Cozumel have set prices. I believe a regular (not van) cab to Nachi costs $17 or so for the cab -- not per person. Just get in the cab line and tell them where you are going. When you want to leave Nachi, they will call a cab for you.

We were at Nachi for the second time in March and had a great day. Even though there were tons of ships in port, Nachi wasn't too crowded. We were also pleasantly impressed with the drinks at Nachi. After tasting her first drink (banana daquiri, I think), one in our group said, "I don't think there's any alcohol in here." A few minutes later (and with a quarter of the drink gone), she changed her tune when the alcohol hit her.

Our favorite part of Nachi is that they limit the numbers, so you aren't packed in like sardines.

Never been to Maya Chan but go to Nachi Cocom every trip to Cozumel. Love it there. The ocean is very inviting, pretty smooth. Nice pool and hot tub, food is great, drinks are great and as mentioned they limit the amount of people there per day so its never crowded. It was 100 people but I think they just raised it to 150. Not sure on that. Only once did we have some loud obnoxious people next to us so we moved to the pool area. Cab is a set price at the cab line. We asked our driver to come back for us at 2 and he was there waiting for us.