**Charleston Port** Has anyone taken a limo service or bus

mel7350

I keep reading awful reviews about the Charleston port, getting into the parking garage etc, taking 3 hours. Is this still true or are people just being negative? We do have faster to the fun, will that help? If not, I am considering parking at the airport and having a limo bus pick us up to take us to the port. Has anyone ever done that? Did the bus take you right do the door where we would get in line to check in? Or was there still a long line to get the bus/limo in to drop you off?

Edited by mel7350

I'm nervous as well. We are in the first available check-in time (11:30 I believe), but I have heard that purchasing FTTF does help (not sure how, but the Charleston home port board did mention this somewhere).

I would try posting this question in the Charleston home port board as you are likely to get more answers over there.

We are driving down so we are stuck using their garage (I did research other nearby garages though and maybe ubering it in if things start getting crazy). Upon debarkation we are staying a few days in Charleston and then a few days in Myrtle Beach on our way back up to NJ so driving was a must for us- plus it saves loads with 4 round-trip airline tix. Once we get to the port the game plan is to have a full tank of gas, snacks for the kiddies, a recent bathroom break, and then to the garage we go. Hopefully it'll be "smooth sailing" once we get to the garage.

I hope your embarkation goes easy- Happy cruising!

Awesome thanks!! You are cruising on my hubby's bday! I'm going in June. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes. We are driving bc there are 14 of us and we only live like 15 hours away. I like the idea of stopping in myrtle beach on the way home...I'm going to look into that lol.

I would try posting this question in the Charleston home port board as you are likely to get more answers over there.

I seriously can't find the port link. This board is confusing. I wish carnival still had a message board lol.

Awesome thanks!! You are cruising on my hubby's bday! I'm going in June. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes. We are driving bc there are 14 of us and we only live like 15 hours away. I like the idea of stopping in myrtle beach on the way home...I'm going to look into that lol.

Great! Yes, please do let me know.We are only about 12 hours away as well, LOL! I literally just finalized my Charleston hotel yesterday and my MB hotel about 30 min. ago.

14 of you guys- sounds like an AMAZING trip!

Have fun!

I'll have a Funship Drink for your hubby's b'day!

We stayed at the Mainstay Suite in Mt. Pleasant just across the bridge from downtown. It was a nice hotel with good reviews at a great price. It cost us around $15 to Uber to port from there. They let us keep our car there for a week as well for free. There was no line to get into the terminal either. I guess our driver knew how to get into the 'passenger drop off' section (?) and drop us off. From the time we left out hotel until the time I had a drink in my hand on lido was 45 minutes.

Hi Mel,

Here is the link to the All Things Charleston 411 thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2438706

There are two entrances to the port. One is for people in their own car either dropping off a friend or parking at the port. The other entrance is a quick entrance for hired cars such as taxi, limo, Uber, Hotel van so they don't have to wait behind those parking.

I can't speak to actual parking because the two times we sailed out of Charleston, we were dropped off by friends since we live here. Maybe someone can help you on the linked Charleston thread.

We stayed at the Mainstay Suite in Mt. Pleasant just across the bridge from downtown. It was a nice hotel with good reviews at a great price. It cost us around $15 to Uber to port from there. They let us keep our car there for a week as well for free. There was no line to get into the terminal either. I guess our driver knew how to get into the 'passenger drop off' section (?) and drop us off. From the time we left out hotel until the time I had a drink in my hand on lido was 45 minutes.

Our post cruise hotel is also under the Choice Hotel brand (Sleep Inn in Charleston, Savannah Hwy). After seeing this post I checked the website and they also offer a park and cruise package, but I couldn't do the parking in reverse. I am staying there 2 days AFTER the cruise, so I was trying my luck to see if they would include the cruise parking PRIOR to checking in by them adding on the package, but in reverse. Its such a bummer since technically they are getting the same money. It sucks because I really don't see the difference on their end, either way they will have a booking and I will be parked for 5 days- why does it matter if my stay is before or after? Plus I am even staying 2 nights whereas most would be only doing 1 night pre-cruise. The rep was nice so I give them that. Ugh, sigh, it was worth asking, even if the answer was no. BOO!! :p

I keep reading awful reviews about the Charleston port, getting into the parking garage etc, taking 3 hours. Is this still true or are people just being negative? We do have faster to the fun, will that help? If not, I am considering parking at the airport and having a limo bus pick us up to take us to the port. Has anyone ever done that? Did the bus take you right do the door where we would get in line to check in? Or was there still a long line to get the bus/limo in to drop you off?

I live in Charleston but have never cruised from Charleston so can't tell you first-hand about cruise parking.

However, I CAN tell you that airport parking is either $15/day in the garage, or $8/day in the surface lot. There is also some remote parking but I never use it and have no idea what the rates are.

Unless it is rush hour, it will be about 20 minutes from airport in N. Charleston to downtown Charleston, where the cruise port is located. If your group of 14 wants to rent a limo bus, it could be a fun way to start your trip. I have used "Ride It Out" several times for "party bus" type evenings with friends and they have always been great. Another local company is Crazy Carl's. I've never used them but have friends who have. I'm not sure if they have party buses or just regular cabs/limos. I don't think he has a webpage but you can search and find his facebook page and call to ask about a bus.