Tipping Cabin Attendant

That's what is nice about the prepaid gratuities or having them billed daily to your account you don't have to worry about it. You are covered wherever you eat - including buffets like the Windjammer.

you don't leave a couple $ on the table when eating in the buffet? I always thought that was just common courtesy. Or, maybe just leftover memories from busing tables on the graveyard shift.

Lol Mr Gut, I always look forward to your replies to Tipping Threads. Keep up the good work [emoji6]

It is just a viscous circle that keeps on seeing more and more expected in terms of tipping, here in Australia they have no auto tips (I expect we pay more to compensate) but some insist on tipping more and more on top and then the crew seem to expect it of everyone.

Then tourists come here and insist on tipping, and not just 10% or rounding up, but 29% or more and staff then start to expect it.

It really annoys me.

When I've been to the USA I try to tip according to local standards, when I cruised with auto tips I left them on. I have at times tipped on the last day to those that made my cruise special.

But why so many insist on trying to get preferential service by tipping on the first day, or on the first drink really beats me.

And then there's the name calling, stiffer, cheapo etc just because you do it different that they do. Fed up with it. And first time I came across tipping it was 19% now 20 or more seems to be expected. Anyone else's pay gone up double the rate of inflation for the same job.

Yep. It's crazy. And yes I'm a "cheapo" and proud of it. We pre pay grats and that's it. If I choose to pay a little extra then that's MY choice and no one is non the wiser so who cares. Does the tipping police come out from behind a flower pot and say aahhhaaaaa, you didn't leave a dollar for something you already paid for and for someone doing their job.

Hears a tip for first time tipping (pun intended) Do what ever makes you happy and don't get confused because other tell you via CC to tip $5 here and $10 there like they are JD Rockefeller wrapped up in their own importance, strutting around like royalty.

My 2 cents

Now, wait for it! [emoji6]

Yep. It's crazy. And yes I'm a "cheapo" and proud of it. We pre pay grats and that's it. If I choose to pay a little extra then that's MY choice and no one is non the wiser so who cares. Does the tipping police come out from behind a flower pot and say aahhhaaaaa, you didn't leave a dollar for something you already paid for and for someone doing their job.

Hears a tip for first time tipping (pun intended) Do what ever makes you happy and don't get confused because other tell you via CC to tip $5 here and $10 there like they are JD Rockefeller wrapped up in their own importance, strutting around like royalty.

My 2 cents

Now, wait for it! [emoji6]

Well said.

And if someone from a non tipping culture asks a question about tipping they get called all sorts of names yet 99.9999% of questions about tipping are from Americans.

And as to how you know who to tip and who not to, totally confuses me. I've read here that you must tip a tour guide, but not if he is the owner, how am I meant to know if he is the owner or employed,

tip anyone who gives you service, they say, but never a Doctor, who gives you the greatest service of all and saves your life, or the lawyer who keeps you out of gaol.

Don't remove auto tips because then those you don't see Miss out, but how do they get tipped on land, and why doesn't that apply at Sea.

It's just crazy.

Just give everyone you see $1000

Sheesh when will it stop.

Auto tips

Pre pay tips

Tip Steward as soon as you board

% added to every drink but still tip $1 a drink.

I like to spread the happy when I am on vacation. It really is just a small amount compared to how much the vacation costs.

And if someone from a non tipping culture asks a question about tipping they get called all sorts of names yet 99.9999% of questions about tipping are from Americans.

And as to how you know who to tip and who not to, totally confuses me. I've read here that you must tip a tour guide, but not if he is the owner, how am I meant to know if he is the owner or employed,

tip anyone who gives you service, they say, but never a Doctor, who gives you the greatest service of all and saves your life, or the lawyer who keeps you out of gaol.

Don't remove auto tips because then those you don't see Miss out, but how do they get tipped on land, and why doesn't that apply at Sea.

It's just crazy.

I can actually answer the question about the people you never see getting some of the tips on land. I worked busing tables and washing dishes at a chain restaurant. I was the one you never see, or only saw me scuttle in while you are walking out the door. The servers who took their tips, and made sure to pass a little bit on to the dishwashers/bus people always had their tables cleaned and set for them. The servers who didn't? Well, we got to their tables ;p just not as fast. The system sort of takes care of itself. I don't know, but I suspect the cruise industry functions in a similar manner