Tipping Cabin Attendant

Especially like the idea of and extra $5 for the stateroom attendant each morning. Thanks~

We always do prepaid gratuities, so technically you are covered and any additional is not necessary. If you choose to tip extra though, there really is no science or "norm" to it. That said, we do typically provide extra

...for our waiter in the dining room the last night (depending on the experience), $10-20

...for our server in the concierge or diamond lounge, $5 nightly (since we usually enjoy a couple beverages each before dinner)

...for the concierge (depending on the level of assistance provided), maybe an extra $20 the last night

...for general bar service through the ship (even though gratuities are included in the beverage packages) we usually leave an extra $1 per drink

...for our stateroom attendant, we usually leave an extra $5 each morning as we head out for our days activities

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What do people do with My Time Dining, where you may have a different waiter each night? I assume you leave something nightly? (I know it's not necessary.)

That's what is nice about the prepaid gratuities or having them billed daily to your account you don't have to worry about it. You are covered wherever you eat - including buffets like the Windjammer.

Thanks for your reply.

"Above and Beyond" what is expected. Magic words. When I wake up in the morning, and leave my room and I return to it being cleaned, is not above and beyond, but status quo. They did their job. I'm not a slob. My clothes are put away, and the floor is clean. My towels are hanging.

My waiter at dinner, is efficient, does not leave me waiting. It is what is expected, and status quo.

Bartender, pours me a drink, that takes 1 minute to make, he gets my 18% tip. It is what is expected.

So all these cases, each person did exactly what I paid them to do, with my cruise fare, and prepaid tips. Saying good morning in the hall way, sharing a smile, etc. are all part of customer service, and part of the job.

Extra tips for people to go "above and beyond" are given out, but it has to fit the statement. Example, on my last cruise, I visited a bar nightly. The first night, I ordered a simple beer. It was out of stock. The bartender, told me, and said, he will run and get some from the next bar for me in which case he ran to get it. Every night after, when he saw me enter, he asked me if I wanted it. But I noticed that he did this for many of the other "regulars" so it wasn't just me, but a person that really took care of each guest. Most bartenders, will just smile, say I'm sorry but I'm out of it, and move on.

Maybe you kid, pukes all over the floor, and your poor room attendant needs to steam clean the floor.

Your waiter takes extra time, with you kids, to make sure they like everything, and helps them out with extra patience.

I think everyone knows what "above and beyond" means, and giving extra tips are good for those services. Getting extra towels, ice etc., are just basic request that they do and is expected that they do it.

There is no set price, but I will gladly reward someone that works extra hard, or makes extra effort to make my vacation enjoyable.

You can prepay your standard gratuities, or they are billed to your Seapass account on a daily basis. The envelope is left in case you wish to tip extra.

O.K standard gratuities is bill on a daily basis. I thought that is a non issue. I understand it is very very difficult to remove that.

O.K standard gratuities is bill on a daily basis. I thought that is a non issue. I understand it is very very difficult to remove that.

Not difficult at all, just go to Guest Services and request they stop automatic gratuities.

Not difficult at all, just go to Guest Services and request they stop automatic gratuities.

O.K. I go to the Guest Services. What then. The staff would say he/she has no authority to remove the charge. Got to go and see higher up and on and on. Anybody actually try doing this.

O.K. I go to the Guest Services. What then. The staff would say he/she has no authority to remove the charge. Got to go and see higher up and on and on. Anybody actually try doing this.

People do it all the time. They have preprinted forms for the purpose.

A Guest Services person processes your request.

So you have just stated the process. Hope you don't find me argumentative here.

Just like to know how I can get to the end. If it is that simple I would do it every time and give cash to the crew instead.

Just like to know how I can get to the end. If it is that simple I would do it every time and give cash to the crew instead.

Unless something has changed radically very recently, that's how it works.

I simply fail to understand why you would want to do this in any event. The staff is very well aware of which guests remove automatic gratuities. If you tip anyone in cash and you have removed the automatic gratuities, they must turn this money in or risk dismissal. In addition, you might not be tipping others who serve you (e.g., Windjammer staff who would be covered by automatic gratuities). So much better to leave the automatic gratuities in place and just tip extra to those who have gone above and beyond for you - unless, that is, you are just trying to save money at the expense of those who are working so hard to make your trip enjoyable and depend on these gratuities.

I simply fail to understand why you would want to do this in any event. The staff is very well aware of which guests remove automatic gratuities. If you tip anyone in cash and you have removed the automatic gratuities, they must turn this money in or risk dismissal. In addition, you might not be tipping others who serve you (e.g., Windjammer staff who would be covered by automatic gratuities). So much better to leave the automatic gratuities in place and just tip extra to those who have gone above and beyond for you - unless, that is, you are just trying to save money at the expense of those who are working so hard to make your trip enjoyable and depend on these gratuities.

Sir, this is not a matter of right or wrong or even choice.

I just want to be informed and know how the process works.

The problem is that you would then be missing staff who are included in the automatic gratuities that you don't necessarily come into personal contact with. It is so much simpler to leave the gratuities in place (it covers quite a lot of people for a small amount). If you wish to tip extra then by all means do so, but don't remove the automatic tips.

Sir, this is not a matter of right or wrong or even choice.

I just want to be informed and know how the process works.

So now you know - if you choose to remove prepaid or automatic gratuities and tip in cash, those people cannot keep the cash, they must turn it in. If the prepaid or automatic gratuities are left in place and you choose to tip extra to certain staff members, they are free to keep that money. Just the facts, madam.

Thanks Geri.

So now you know - if you choose to remove prepaid or automatic gratuities and tip in cash, those people cannot keep the cash, they must turn it in. If the prepaid or automatic gratuities are left in place and you choose to tip extra to certain staff members, they are free to keep that money. Just the facts, madam.

Would never want to remove automatic/prepaid gratuities....just did not want to be a "cheapo" by not added a little tip to our stateroom person, etc....thanks for all the helpful insight.

The problem is that you would then be missing staff who are included in the automatic gratuities that you don't necessarily come into personal contact with. It is so much simpler to leave the gratuities in place (it covers quite a lot of people for a small amount). If you wish to tip extra then by all means do so, but don't remove the automatic tips.

Gratuities cannot be remove form NCL ships. No info on RC ships.

There is a new policy regarding removing the DSC, which started about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if it has made it to all ships yet, but it will soon if it hasn't.

The front desk will no longer remove DSC for you.

Instead, you are given a paper form which you have to e-mail to ServiceCharges@Ncl.com when you get back from the cruise. At that point, you will supposedly receive your DSC refund within 2 weeks of receipt.

You have 30 days from the end of your cruise to send in the form. You cannot mail it. It has to be e-mailed, which means you have to scan it or take a picture of it.

You are also required to provide a reason why you are removing the DSC, and how much you are "adjusting it down".

This is a huge change, as now it is in rebate format, where you pay first, and have to apply for a refund later.

You will find it's very easy on RC. Not sure if they even require a reason.

Thanks Bob, if I can call you that.

I was going to ask you something like this.

If any body knows something about cruise lines nobody would know more than you.

With 100,000 posting under your belt I doubt there is anything you don't know about the cruse lines.

But I believe discretion is very much in your mind. Some things are best unsaid and not discussed. Sensitive information is one of them. And this could be one area that RC don't want to discuss. So I understand your discretion. It just means I have to get the information from somewhere else if I can find it.

It is the same I suppose if someone were to ask my mother if I am handsome. There is only one answer, Yes.

Would never want to remove automatic/prepaid gratuities....just did not want to be a "cheapo" by not added a little tip to our stateroom person, etc....thanks for all the helpful insight.

It is not "cheapo" to give only the auto gratuities.

Your cabin attendant is covered by the tips that you pay in advance or are charged daily. They get somewhere around $3.75 per person, per day. If you want to give them more, you tip on the last evening....and an extra $20-40 would be generous.

The amount they get is so little when you consider all the work they do. They clean the room twice a day? When staying at a hotel I leave a minimum of $5 a day for housekeeping for once a day cleaning. Last summer I took a girls trip with my daughter her friend and my son's girlfriend. 4 girls in a hotel room? 3 teens? I left $10 a day, and laughed at the number of extra towels and pillows that were in the room after I left a note asking for extra towels and pillows.