Pacific Coastal Cruises Yay or Nay?

Proopkitty

I'm considering a 5 day Pacific coastal cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles September 2018 on NCL Bliss. It stops in Victoria and San Francisco. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar cruise and what they thought of it. I would be flying in from Ohio and also needing hotels in Vancouver and Los Angeles. I just want to make sure it won't be a disappointment.

I've cruised the Caribbean and Bahamas many times and this September I'm doing a Baltic cruise.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and information.

Vancouver, San Francisco, and Victoria are the three prettiest cities in North America. And you get to be ona boat for 5 days!

That's like cruising to Heaven without the dying part.:halo:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Gwsster, I agree 100% with a 10 or 12 day Pacific Coastal. Start in Vancouver, stop in Astoria, 2 days in San Diego and San Francisco, 1 day in Catalina and Santa Barbara. Or even 14 days with 2 days Santa Barbara. My TA said they are very seldom sold out for Pacifica coastal so that.might be why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tried to do a Pacific coastal cruise a few years ago and was not allowed due to the Jones Act. as we were also cruising through to Sydney via Hawaii. Thought the rule was crap as it didn't make sense as we started in a Canadian port and finished in an Australian port.

We tried to do a Pacific coastal cruise a few years ago and was not allowed due to the Jones Act. as we were also cruising through to Sydney via Hawaii. Thought the rule was crap as it didn't make sense as we started in a Canadian port and finished in an Australian port.

This OP was successful Seattle-Vancouver-Honolulu-Sydney.

Jones act

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2443570

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's actually the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA) and if you embarked in Vancouver and debarked in Sydney, then that had nothing to do with the PVSA...somebody you talked to was clueless. And it shows you how untrained they are, since the Jones Act refers to cargo.

I did a B2B2B in 2012, when the Carnival Spirit moved to Sydney. I boarded in Seattle (7 day Alaska), then a 12 day Hawaii cruise, then onto Sydney.

I know some are really having issues with this itinerary now since the Australia portion is handled through Carnival.au and the the US portion (Seattle to Honolulu) violates the PVSA. It took somebody on the Carnival board lots of emails and calls to finally get the 2 entities to talk and ok the transit. One company and they can't seem to communicate.

Edit...I just read SadieN link and that is the one referred to above.

I'm sorry you had the issues. The Pacific Coastal cruises do, either have to be round trip (with a stop in either Mexico or Canada), or if they are one way, they must originate in Mexico or Canada.

It's actually the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA) and if you embarked in Vancouver and debarked in Sydney, then that had nothing to do with the PVSA...somebody you talked to was clueless. And it shows you how untrained they are, since the Jones Act refers to cargo.

I did a B2B2B in 2012, when the Carnival Spirit moved to Sydney. I boarded in Seattle (7 day Alaska), then a 12 day Hawaii cruise, then onto Sydney.

I know some are really having issues with this itinerary now since the Australia portion is handled through Carnival.au and the the US portion (Seattle to Honolulu) violates the PVSA. It took somebody on the Carnival board lots of emails and calls to finally get the 2 entities to talk and ok the transit. One company and they can't seem to communicate.

Edit...I just read SadieN link and that is the one referred to above.

I'm sorry you had the issues. The Pacific Coastal cruises do, either have to be round trip (with a stop in either Mexico or Canada), or if they are one way, they must originate in Mexico or Canada.

I agree, I knew they (the TA) were clueless, we ended up going from Ensenada to Sydney via Hawaii. Even though we checked in at San Diego and was bussed down. I tried booking with another TA and the cruise line wouldn't allow the booking either. I am glad that at least one cruise line is aware of the issue and is allowing it.

We love Pacific Coastal cruises as we are in the Seattle area. Yes, the Passenger Services Act is a pain, but I found that if you're book two different ships, you're fine. We're on a 1 day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver on HAL Oosterdam 9/24-9/25 and then on the Emerald Princess from Vancouver to LA 9/25-10/1. My TA said "no problem" We've never been on a 1 day cruise, so it will be interesting! I imagine we'll stay on HAL as long as possible, and then walk our luggage across to the other side of Canada Place to give it to Princess.

We love Pacific Coastal cruises as we are in the Seattle area. Yes, the Passenger Services Act is a pain, but I found that if you're book two different ships, you're fine. We're on a 1 day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver on HAL Oosterdam 9/24-9/25 and then on the Emerald Princess from Vancouver to LA 9/25-10/1. My TA said "no problem" We've never been on a 1 day cruise, so it will be interesting! I imagine we'll stay on HAL as long as possible, and then walk our luggage across to the other side of Canada Place to give it to Princess.

I did look at other options at the time but nothing fitted well.