Thanksgiving Aboard Reflection

the_dylaness

If you looking for a special memorable themed holiday at Thanksgiving you will be disappointed. DW and I sailed on Reflection last Thanksgiving. Luminae had the regular Thursday menu. The main dining room did offer a turkey dinner, but not with all the fixings. On our sailing it seemed like about 50% of the guests were not American and had no idea what Thanksgiving is and neither did any of the crew. It didn't stop us from having a good time as we spent a relaxing Thanksgiving Day on Labadee, Oh and one last thing - while they showed the NFL Games on TV - they did it via a ESPN feed from Mexico of Central America so it had no sound - thus no commentary. Interesting to watch Thanksgiving Football with no sound.

My birthday falls in and around and sometimes on Thanksgiving and have been on about 15 cruises over Thanksgiving. Happy to report that they do offer a traditional dinner choice if you choose. Can't say it is as good as a home cooked meal but they do have Turkey, Sweet potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans and gravy. One of the desert options is Pumpkin Pie.

I'll keep my expectations fairly low although I am a little disappointed to hear that a Thanksgiving dinner is not an option in Luminae. (Yes, I know it is an American holiday only, but a pretty big one in my book.)

We'll decorate the table in advance with dollar store decorations that will excite the children and probably get them pilgrim hats or something to wear, they will love it!

My husband will miss the turkey leg, I am sure, but he will get over it in time.

Reading about the non-traditional Thanksgivings and the idea to have the meal before the cruise made me remember a couple of fun Thanksgivings...

My very favorite Thanksgiving actually happened on a Friday.

My husband and I had just moved about 1,000 miles away from family about 5 months before the holiday.

I had to work on the holiday and my husband the day after, so travelling wasn't an option.

The next morning I was talking to my mom on the phone and wishing she could come down... just for kicks we decided to see if there were any last minute flights. We found a bargain on Southwest... leaving in 2 hours! She threw her clothes in a bag and her husband took her to the airport.

While she was en route, I went to the grocery.

I found a huge organic turkey that the butcher sold me at a steep discount since the folks who ordered it never claimed it.

I'd never cooked Thanksgiving dinner before but since I had the whole day, I did the works. I brined the turkey (following Alton Brown's instructions) in an empty (washed out) 35 lb cat litter plastic bin. I stuffed it with bitter oranges from our front yard. I made the whole meal basically from scratch, cooking all day. My husband knew my mom was coming but didn't know about the meal.

She arrived around 4pm and helped me finish cooking.

My husband got home at 7 and walked into the scent of a huge surprise Thanksgiving meal, the most fun ever!

I am a little disappointed to hear that a Thanksgiving dinner is not an option in Luminae.

I have seen folks post that they can get the main dining room's menu in Luminae. So, accordingly, you should be able to get the Thanksgiving dinner. :)