RCI Song of Norway 90's

kwahl1

Just ran across an oldie. The Royal Caribbean's Song of Norway. I had forgotten we cruised on this ship. Might of been our first cruise. Can anybody estimate the year? I'm thinking around 1991. Does anybody have of Song of Norway story to share or history lesson?

......and we thought our upcoming cruise on the Explorer of the Seas was a first for RCL.

DocSON.pdf

Our very first cruise was on the Song of Norway in 1976. Absolutely loved this ship and still remember the name of our waiter - Jacob. We cruised on her again in '78 and '91 at which time we celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Jackie (and Jim)

Song of Norway was my third Royal Caribbean cruise on December 17, 1995. I loved this ship...so small and intimate with teak decking. Very fond memories. :cool:

Viking Serenade was my first in 1992 and Majesty of the Seas was my second in 1994.

She was my first cruise back in the late 80's. I have a photo of me and my mom boarding her in Antigua. I loved the VCL! You had to access it from a stairwell outside. It would get very windy while at sea trying to get up there! LOVED that ship! After the cruise was over and several weeks later, they sent each guest a small booklet with pictures of all the passengers. I think I still have mine!

We sailed on Song of Norway for our honeymoon in 1990. It was our first cruise and it ruined me for life. Got me addicted to this expensive habit. I remember driving golf balls and shooting skeet (separately) off the aft of the ship. It was the most fabulous cruise experience.

SONG OF NORWAY was a beautiful ship. I first saw her from the decks of the NORWAY docked in Miami in 1983. Wish I would have had the opportunity to sail on her. Great picture by the way. Had to laugh at the rather "unfortunate" sign cropping in the background. Maybe saRAPEs?

Song of Norway was our first cruise Valentines Day 1989. Our cabin was a tiny one on deck 3, blue tiles and fixtures in the bathroom and 2 plate size portholes. No door on the closet, we would watch our clothes swing back and forth and the bed was jamed against the wall so you had to scoot to the end of it to get out.. We had the time of our lives!

SONG OF NORWAY was a beautiful ship. I first saw her from the decks of the NORWAY docked in Miami in 1983. Wish I would have had the opportunity to sail on her. Great picture by the way. Had to laugh at the rather "unfortunate" sign cropping in the background. Maybe saRAPEs?

We sailed the Norway back in 1993; loved her. Don't see her mentioned often, so I had to jump in. Never sailed the Song of Norway, but did sail Song of America in 1997. I remember thinking she was so tiny, after Majesty of the Seas and the Norway before her. We also sailed the Seaward, way back when...

I sailed the Song if Norway twice. It was my 2nd cruise. My first cruise was on the Nordic Prince for 2 weeks in 1972, but I was just a young teenager then. My first Song of Norway cruise was with my parents and my sister as a college graduation trip in 1978. Then we went on the Song of Norway again in 1982; this time my parents treated all my siblings and our spouses to the trip. There were 12 of us total. We had a ball. In fact we won the costume party as we dressed up as the ship, Song of Norway, with each of us representing someone on the ship. I was the tacky tourist. If I can find the picture of our family as the ship, I will post it here. It was a wonderful ship. Great memories.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ahhhhh memories.

The Song of Norway was our first cruise in the middle 80's. We thought we were such hot stuff, despite our TINY inside cabin, dining with the Chief Engineer.

Nightly a rowdy group of Californians would gather at the grand staircase and toss room keys.

One of our cruise friends and I laid out on chaises the last night until the lights of Miami began to glow marking the termination of an incredible journey. They pulled me from the gang plank as we disembarked and almost fifty cruises later the memories of our first and best cruise are still incredibly fresh.

Nightly a rowdy group of Californians would gather at the grand staircase and toss room keys.

Post-Pill, pre-AIDS. It was a tough time for moral busybodies, when there wasn't much to threaten people with except eternal damnation.

Post-Pill, pre-AIDS. It was a tough time for moral busybodies, when there wasn't much to threaten people with except eternal damnation.[/quotTossing key

Tossing keys? I was thinking the same things. Thanks everyone for sharing the Song of Norway memories

Song of Norway was our first Royal Caribbean cruise. We had sailed Carnival once before her. Sad to say, I don't remember much about the cruise except how beautiful and BIG we thought the ship was at the time. I remember the meals and the service from the wait staff was great, but I can't remember a single thing I ate.

We sailed the Norway back in 1993; loved her. Don't see her mentioned often, so I had to jump in. Never sailed the Song of Norway, but did sail Song of America in 1997. I remember thinking she was so tiny, after Majesty of the Seas and the Norway before her. We also sailed the Seaward, way back when...

And I had to jump in on your post - way back when we also sailed the Norway , Song of Norway, Song of America and even NCL's Seaward too! (Plus even more of the "golden oldies" :)

One time, we did a week on the Norway and followed with a week on the Song of Norway. Let me tell you, you really noticed the difference in size then, especially since we were chasing a tropical system with high seas!

I remember we disembarked the Norway and bribed a porter at the port to take our bags all the way down to RCCL to embark the Song of Norway for $25. This would NEVER happen today LOL

Here's 2 pictures of the Song of Norway MDR. Notice the low ceilings compared to today. And check out the waiters in their red and white striped uniforms with straw hats. I think maybe it was America the Beautiful night since we're all waving tiny flags!

(And notice there's a peppermill on every table too LOL)

2ewl5au.jpg

25rea13.jpg

Our Honeymoon 5/19/91. We were originally booked on Monarch of the Seas cruise #3, but bumped to Song of Norway because of fire during sea trials. Had Ken Rush as our Cruise Director. Over half of the ship was honeymoon couples and got us hooked on cruising forever. Definitely a classic ship. Loved climbing up the outside stairs to the Viking Crown lounge.

IMG_20130815_081730_024.jpg.a6598063e849b09e5482d46c95086706.jpg

We sailed the on the Song of Norway Feb 1987 for our one year anniversary.

You could drive golf balls off the back of the ship and shoot a real shotgun to shoot skeet of the back as well.

We sailed on the Song of America the year before for our honeymoon.

I have the photo albums with cruise compasses and all the other stuff!