If not St Petersburg, where would the ship go?

We are sailing on the Vision of the Seas to the Baltic area in May. If there is a concern about St Petersburg and Royal does not do this port stop due to political issues, where else in the region would/could the ship go?

We are not overly concerned, but know that there could be changes at any time.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing on the Vision of the Seas to the Baltic area in May. If there is a concern about St Petersburg and Royal does not do this port stop due to political issues, where else in the region would/could the ship go?

We are not overly concerned, but know that there could be changes at any time.

Margee

I have wondered the same thing. We're on Celebrity Silhouette in May and I'm wondering where Celebrity would take us if things get too unstable. Just praying things will calm down because I really do want to see SPB.

Teanne

If I had to guess then a stop at Visby on Gotland or Rønne on Bornholm could be a good guess or perhaps Kiel in Germany if the other stop is Rostock (or reverse)

More days in Stockholm or Tallinn could be another guess.

The Baltic Sea is simply to small to add more sea days.

We're on NCL Getaway at the end of the summer and have wondered the same - we've been so looking forward to St. Petersburg most of all! I haven't called NCL to ask but presume they're entitled to make any itinerary changes they feel are necessary, especially for safety reasons.

We are sailing in June [but with HAL] and I have not been too worried that Saint Petersburg would be cancelled. Of course anything is possible at anytime [especially in this crazy modern-day world] but I would think something pretty serious between now and then would have to happen for the cruise lines to cancel the port. Istanbul was cancelled only after multiple "issues" even though Turkey as a whole had unrest for a while. The past subway issue notwithstanding, I've never viewed Russia as a particularly dangerous place.

Now, in the unlikely [and very sad!] event that the port were to be cancelled, there are a few other cities that may be interesting substitutions. Klaipėda, Lithuania or Riga, Latvia could both be cool ports and they are less frequently called upon than others in the region. Also Gdasnk, Poland would be interesting. I wouldn't be bothered by Gothenburg, Sweden either but then I drive a Volvo so perhaps I'm a tad biased haha.

All we can do is take each day as it comes and try to make the most of it. Have a fabulous trip regardless!!

I have wondered the same thing. Does anyone think this is a real possibility? If the issue was with Russian-American relations, would they skip SPB even though there are many passengers that are not American?

Unless there is a full scale cold war situation I doubt anything would change. The cruise lines make way too much money from St. Petersburg to cancel it on a whim. If it was cancelled then alternate ports could include Riga and Klaipeda, but I doubt anything would happen in the next few months. Most cruise line ships aren't registered in the US anyway so there would be no problem if Russia suddenly has restrictions against the US.

Unless there is a full scale cold war situation I doubt anything would change. The cruise lines make way too much money from St. Petersburg to cancel it on a whim. If it was cancelled then alternate ports could include Riga and Klaipeda, but I doubt anything would happen in the next few months. Most cruise line ships aren't registered in the US anyway so there would be no problem if Russia suddenly has restrictions against the US.

I totally agree. I don't think there will be an issue. We Americans may get a little more "attention" by the border people there at the port but thats fine. I still plan to be there in SPB for the full 3 days next month.

Teanne