Train from Warnemunde to Schwerin

tuft

Hi. We will be visiting Warnemunde on Wed., August 23rd onboard the Eclipse. We are scheduled to arrive in port at 9:00 AM and depart at 10:00 PM. My husband and I would like to spend some time visiting Schwerin and of course the castle. From our research it appears that this is a fairly easy destination to reach via train even though it is necessary to change trains in Rostock. From folks who have already done this we would be interested in knowing if it was pretty straightforward. How was the ticket purchase process? Was it easy to find the appropriate train to transfer to in Rostock? Did you have ample time to make the connection or was it a "skin of your teeth" transfer? Was the stop for the castle within walking distance (to the castle?)

Any help, suggestions, ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Peg

We took the train to Rostock and can say that the process was very easy. The Warnemunde station is easy walking distance from the dock and the Rostock station is very well laid out for connections. However I can't say anything about the trip to the castle not having been there. I recommend that someone in your group have a rudimentary capability in "traveler German."

Hi. We will be visiting Warnemunde on Wed., August 23rd onboard the Eclipse. We are scheduled to arrive in port at 9:00 AM and depart at 10:00 PM. My husband and I would like to spend some time visiting Schwerin and of course the castle. From our research it appears that this is a fairly easy destination to reach via train even though it is necessary to change trains in Rostock. From folks who have already done this we would be interested in knowing if it was pretty straightforward. How was the ticket purchase process? Was it easy to find the appropriate train to transfer to in Rostock? Did you have ample time to make the connection or was it a "skin of your teeth" transfer? Was the stop for the castle within walking distance (to the castle?)

Any help, suggestions, ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Peg

Hi Peg

We are on the same cruise , and we were debating getting a train , so I shall follow this with interest , I do speak conversational German .

I was put off the day trip to Berlin by train as it's 3 hrs each way , so may just stay local . Still unsure [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the trip to Schwerin a few years ago. There are automatic ticket kiosks at all stations & you can choose your preferred language. The transfer at Rostock is easy just follow the signs to the next platform. Schwerin is a pretty big town so be prepared for lots of walking. The castle is nice to see from the outside but is also the "county" seat so only a small portion is accessible.

A couple years ago we ha that excursion planned with Alla tours. That morning the train employees pulled a wildcat strike.Alla stepped up and provided a van and driver to provide the tour. Was a great tour! Most tour providers cancelled their tours. I usually plan tours on my own but this time booking a tour through a provider was well worth it! Have a great trip.

You will really enjoy this trip; the castle is beautiful and there are some great bakeries. It is so much easier than it seems, but that is always after you have done it! No worries, as the directions on here are great, along with the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for your help, suggestions and confidence building. Schwerin sounds like a pretty town and a nice place to spend some time. Thankfully it's a long day in port too!!

Peg

My wife and I are on the Celebrity Baltic Cruise in May. We are planning to visit Schwerin and Wismar the day we're in port. In our case, the cruise traffic is heavy and we'll dock at Seehafen on the east side of the river. We'll have to take a taxi to Lutten Klein or directly to Rostock for a train to Schwerin. If your ship docks at Warnemunde your travel to Rostock is quick on the S-Bahn.

The travel time from Rostock to Schwerin is less than an hour and trains run frequently. If you depart early from Rostock (8:25, you'll be in Schwerin at 9:20 so you'll have all day there. If you ship doesn't sail until 10:00 pm, there is no reason to hurry back. Enjoy Schwerin

Thanks for your comments Visibilityunlimited. I am very appreciative and grateful to all who have helped me out. As of right now we are the only ship scheduled in port that day so train travel should be pretty straightforward. We aren't scheduled into port until 9:00 but hopefully we'll be off and running soon after!!

Peg