When is the Room Available - Embarkation Day?

WEINGAKA

Hello,

First time cruiser here, and our cruise on the Norwegian spirit starts next Sunday. We're super excited but very new to this.

What time are staterooms generally available? Embarkation is at 12pm, but we don't have to be on the ship for disembarkation until 9pm (our cruise sails out at 11pm on the first day).

We are only bringing carry ons and backpacks, no suitcases. I did it for 3 weeks in Japan so I'm confident I can do it for 2 weeks in Europe :)

Because we get so much free time, we have set up an excursion for 2pm-8:30pm. My understanding is if we drop our luggage off with a porter, they will deliver our bags to our stateroom, but they'll be outside the door. My family members have cruised and assured me our luggage would be safe sitting outside the door, and I'm sure they're right, but since we'll be gone quite a bit of time before being back in our room, I'm still wondering if this is the most reasonable thing.

I've read some boards where people say they were in their stateroom immediately on embarking, no wait. I called Norwegian last night who said it'll be closer to 2-3pm before we're in. I'm curious what other cruisers have experienced.

Our excursion is private and we can always ask if they'll lock up our luggage in the car while we're in the countryside at the winery, but I'm not quite sure if this is a better option :) so any advice would be appreciated as far as leaving luggage with the porter, or taking a gamble and holding on to our carry ons in the hopes the room is open, worst case seeing if it can be locked up in the car on the excursion if the room still isn't available.

Also, has anyone seen the show elements or world beat? And if so, do you recommend seeing it while on board?

I appreciate any advice. I'm sure I'm overthinking this but I'm grateful for any tips and recommendations cruisers have. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like you have a good plan. If the room is ready, drop off your bags and if not, take them with you on the excursion if you're not comfortable with them sitting in the hallway for hours. I know I probably wouldn't be comfortable doing that but maybe you can just keep part of it with you and let the porters have your clothes? I wouldn't worry about someone swiping my skivvies from the hallway so much as valuables.

Your plan sounds great. Your all aboard time is 9:00 pm so don't get left behind. Your room steward will move your bags into your room in the late afternoon or early evening during turndown.

Elements is a great show. Take time to see it

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it so much!

So you're saying if we choose to leave our bags with the porters, our steward will move it into our room for us at some point after it becomes available? I didn't realize the steward would do that, but it would be incredibly reassuring if they did.

Thanks again to both of you! I think we may leave the carry ons with the clothes with the porters and then take the backpacks on the excursion. Ideally, our room would be available to put it all away ourselves before the excursion but I'm not sure we can guarantee it :)

I would leave your suitcases with clothing with the porters and then keep your backpacks with valuables with you.

On our last cruise boarding started at 11 (sail away was at 4), and the rooms were available at 1:30. They make many announcements not to attempt to enter your room until 1:30 so if they are saying the rooms won't be ready until 2-3, I would be respectful of that and not try and leave items in your room before then.

I wouldn't leave any valuables in your suitcase anyway - a. Porters have access to it behind closed doors, b. Stewards and crew all have access to it behind closed doors, c. For some period of time all guests have access to it out in the open when it's sitting in the hallway.

Rooms are usually available by 1pm or 1:30pm.

I've never experienced a cabin steward putting bags in cabin.

What time is your muster drill?

Elements is usually the last night and not to be missed imo.

Rooms are usually available by 1pm or 1:30pm.

I've never experienced a cabin steward putting bags in cabin.

What time is your muster drill?

Elements is usually the last night and not to be missed imo.

I'm not sure when our muster drill is. Is there somewhere I can find that information out?

Based on my understanding of checking in, and from everyone's advice, would this be an accurate expectation for embarkation day: drop off carry ons with a porter, go through security with whatever bags we keep, check in with the cruise and get our ship card, embark on the ship for a quick lunch before our excursion, and then on our return from the excursion, go through security again with our bags, then simply go to the ship since we've checked in?

It seems like a fairly straightforward process but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm a huge planner so this being entirely new makes me overthink this :)

I appreciate everyone's input

We've done this cruise twice, both times we checked in, carried on our luggage since, just like you, none of them had to be checked, and went to cabin and dropped them off. One time, it was before cabins were "ready" but they were happy to let us drop off our stuff. We just threw it all in the closet so it wouldnt be in the room stewards way. We then went on our excursion.

I definitely would not wait until you get back at 8:30 PM to check in. I would try to get there around noon and check in. Your plan to check in and get lunch sound fine. Also, my recollection is that Spirit had a "bag holding area" on the ship where you could leave your bags if rooms werent ready, and come get them later, but I dont know if they still do that. If you take your bags off the ship with you, I imagine they will all be subject to a re-security check coming back in....

Terry

We've done this cruise twice, both times we checked in, carried on our luggage since, just like you, none of them had to be checked, and went to cabin and dropped them off. One time, it was before cabins were "ready" but they were happy to let us drop off our stuff. We just threw it all in the closet so it wouldnt be in the room stewards way. We then went on our excursion.

I definitely would not wait until you get back at 8:30 PM to check in. I would try to get there around noon and check in. Your plan to check in and get lunch sound fine. Also, my recollection is that Spirit had a "bag holding area" on the ship where you could leave your bags if rooms werent ready, and come get them later, but I dont know if they still do that. If you take your bags off the ship with you, I imagine they will all be subject to a re-security check coming back in....

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks so much for the detailed comment! I'm glad to hear you've experienced similar on the Spirit and was able to drop off your bags, even with the room not being available.

It'd definitely be nice once we're done with the excursion to quickly get through security without the hassle of the bags, and if we have the ability to ask to have our things at least tucked away in the room, that'd be great.

When your room wasn't ready, who did you talk to/where did you go to ask if you could deposit some bags?

I'll also make sure we check out the show Elements since it looks like it has good reviews [emoji5]

We just walked to the hallway where our room was, and the door was still closed but there was a crew member standing there, and asked if we could just throw our carryons on the room since we had an excursion, and she smiled, opened the door and let us through.

Terry