Do the Bacon and Sausages sailing from Southampton differ from USA sailings?

We have sailed on RCCL a few times now, but have only sailed from New York and Florida, We, of course have found American style streaky bacon and sausages links onboard.

I heard the cup-cake shop on Independence changes to a pie shop on British sailings (I'm unsure if this is true)

Because of this I'd like to know if RCCL serve our style of bacon (Danish) and UK style sausages?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Edited by simon4059

I have been on Independence from Southampton (and Explorer) and it was always the cupcake shop - a pie shop would have been better!

Re: the bacon and sausages, you get American style bacon and what we in Ireland would consider rashers of bacon... More meat, less fat. You also get UK/Irish/European style sausages in their skins and the American sausages that are kind of textured and have no skin.

There is good variety but, the food on sailings from Southampton is very much geared towards a British audience - lots of Indian dishes, fish and chips, baked beans with breakfast etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last year on Independence the cupcake shop turned into a pie shop that sold Pieminister pies and also doubled up as Izumi Express. I have to say pie shop was more empty than full for my 2 weeks on the ship.

That's really interesting as it didn't on either the Explorer or Independence a couple of years ago! While a bit cliché, at least the pies might fill you! The cupcakes were pretty terrible if I recall rightly!

I heard the cup-cake shop on Independence changes to a pie shop on British sailings (I'm unsure if this is true)

Yes, this is true but I think it is a very recent development - within the last year or so. To be honest I would much prefer a cupcake shop than a pie shop. Now if it was sweet pies (apple, rhubarb, cherry etc) instead of savoury I wouldn't mind. Can't help with the bacon or sausages as I'm veggie.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. We set sail in two weeks and we are very exited. I really like RCCL, but the two things that I consistently don't like from past experiences were disembarkation and non UK style bacon or sausage. As I've already mentioned, this is only to be expected when sailing from the US, so this isn't a dig a RCCL either. RCCL serve (In my opinion) "American style" bacon just like in every Denny's I've ever been too. It's not bad, but I don't think I could do two weeks without out style bacon.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. We set sail in two weeks and we are very exited. I really like RCCL, but the two things that I consistently don't like from past experiences were disembarkation and non UK style bacon or sausage. As I've already mentioned, this is only to be expected when sailing from the US, so this isn't a dig a RCCL either. RCCL serve (In my opinion) "American style" bacon just like in every Denny's I've ever been too. It's not bad, but I don't think I could do two weeks without out style bacon.

If it makes you feel better for a future cruise, we were on Freedom in September out of Port Canaveral and both styles of bacon were available. However, I know from a previous Captain's Talk that they plan and vary menus depending on where the majority of passengers are from so, there may have been lots of Europeans on that cruise!

I'll add to that, on Harmony from Barcelona, there were quite a few British breakfast items, including English Bacon, English Sausages, Black Pudding etc.

Haven't sailed from Southampton in 5 years, so can't give any relevant feedback regarding that.

Black Pudding - the hockey puck things right?

Yes!

I enjoy them as a Brit, but probably not something that most Americans would like.

I'm usually pretty good about trying new things, but I just could bring myself to try those.

Black pudding good stuff although I'm the only one in our house who likes it.

British(Danish) bacon I think was on Allure last year wasn't on Jewel last week. Still don't like the American bacon.

No mushrooms on Jewel either is that normal?

Pie shop interesting development :eek:

Black pudding good stuff although I'm the only one in our house who likes it.

British(Danish) bacon I think was on Allure last year wasn't on Jewel last week. Still don't like the American bacon.

No mushrooms on Jewel either is that normal?

Pie shop interesting development :eek:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember mushrooms for breakfast, unless they were being added to an omelette.

Thought I would feel the same way about black pudding. Went over with the mindset that I wouldnt like it but made myself try it. I actually really liked it. It didnt taste that much different than American style sausage patties to me. Still prefer American style bacon but I like the British/Irish/Danish version too.

On Harmony last summer they had the American style breakfast sausages (which, to be honest, looked dry and tasted gross) but on the other side of the buffet there were the nice English style sausages by the baked beans and blood sausage (which I finally tried last month while in the UK and Was surprisingly good). I think the bacon was more UK style than American, but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll add to that, on Harmony from Barcelona, there were quite a few British breakfast items, including English Bacon, English Sausages, Black Pudding etc.

Haven't sailed from Southampton in 5 years, so can't give any relevant feedback regarding that.

Any pork pies?

I'm usually pretty good about trying new things, but I just could bring myself to try those.

I did when I was in Edinburgh. Had I known what they were I might have passed. Being Canadian I might have been drawn to them by the fact that they looked like pucks.

I did when I was in Edinburgh. Had I known what they were I might have passed. Being Canadian I might have been drawn to them by the fact that they looked like pucks.

And they taste like something that has been fermenting in a hockey bag for the past 12 months.:eek::eek::eek:

Just to add to all the others but on our RCCL European sailings "American" Bacon was actually labeled "American" bacon on the buffet where as the just bacon was the rasher kind. They also had sausage with casing and then "breakfast" sausage which is the standard links they have on cruises from Florida. On our Southampton departure, the main dining room also had a savory "Pie of the Day" each night.