Soda Card: Can it be shared

tree99

Look forward to meeting you all. The sodas are on Me!:D

We can do a little fishing of the stern, I"ll have the live bait back in the room in the 'fridge.

The DW fussed at me last time, so I brought two different t-shirts for the formal nights. She said it was low class to wear the same one twice. I told her that some folks might think we are showing off if we bring too many Harley shirts, but she says she likes the attention. We got black ones for the really formal dinner and red ones for the not-so-formal one. Of course, we wear our tank tops when we don't have to "dress up". She also made me buy a new ball cap and won't let me wear it until formal night. It won't even be broke in yet. I do have a nice gold fish hook to go in the bill, though.

I agree that it's not a drop in the bucket -- that's a good bit of money to me! However, the fact that we think it's expensive doens't make it okay to cheat the system.

What's next? My 11-year old is wearing adult sized clothes now; I don't think it's fair that I have to pay adult-prices for a child! Perhaps I'll start shoplifting them instead -- after all, the stores are making a killing off what I'm spending on myself, so they can afford to "give" something to her. No one will notice, and I'll explain to her why it's okay to do this -- surely she won't pick up bad habits from this one little decision. Sounds totally ridiculous doesn't it? Yet it's the same thought process that rationalizes sharing soda cards.

By the way, my answer to the whole question is to skip the soda card and pay as I go for the few sodas I'll want over the course of the week. I drink mostly water during most of the cruise, which is much healthier and better for my waistline.

So your saying that if I get a soda card and and my DH takes a sip or two of my soda that it's stealing? I think everyone should take a chill and let Royal Caribbean take care of monitoring the soda card. The poster should just do what they are comfortable with.

Well, I tell you what. Our boarding day usually goes something like this:

Once we’re on, the DW will head up to the Windjammer and save us a nice big table. While she’s doing that, I swing by the pool and throw some towels on a row of chairs. Our son usually likes to go up to the top deck and shoot a few seagulls with the pellet gun we brought along. If he manages to bag one, he will give me a holler on the walkie-talkie. The daughter, she likes to go play on the elevators.

I’ll stop by and pick up the family soda card, then get an armload of sodas for everyone. Once I join the DW in the WJ, we round up the kids with the walkie-talkies and sit down for a nice lunch. After that, the kids will try to get a game of elevator tag going, and the DW & I will smoke a couple of packs of Marlboros.

By the way, we booked on the same cruise you are. Ain’t that great!??:eek:

This sounds like the way to do it. I think I will adopt your method.

We are going to be very popular and loved by all. LOL:D

Look forward to meeting you all. The sodas are on Me!:D

Sodas are on you? Hey, I didn't spill them, besides someone tripped me.

I'll save the front row for the first stage show! Yeah, I know, not everyone likes the shows... not a big deal if you don't show up!

Once we’re on, the DW will head up to the Windjammer and save us a nice big table. While she’s doing that, I swing by the pool and throw some towels on a row of chairs. Our son usually likes to go up to the top deck and shoot a few seagulls with the pellet gun we brought along. If he manages to bag one, he will give me a holler on the walkie-talkie. The daughter, she likes to go play on the elevators.

I’ll stop by and pick up the family soda card, then get an armload of sodas for everyone. Once I join the DW in the WJ, we round up the kids with the walkie-talkies and sit down for a nice lunch. After that, the kids will try to get a game of elevator tag going, and the DW & I will smoke a couple of packs of Marlboros.

Hey, this is starting to sound like fun. Are cabins still available?

You forgot to tell us what you do with the seagulls your son shot. Do you start a BBQ in WJ or your balcony?

I like your strategy. You offend everyone in the first few hours of boarding and give cruisers plenty of things to post about once they return.:eek:

I wish I had your insightfulness.:rolleyes: I'm always concerned that I'm going to miss out on offending someone during the cruise. Perhaps I should bring my niece along as backup ammunition. Since I don't have kids of my own, I'll miss out on being one of those parents who doesn't supervise their children.:p

Missybirchfield,

You may call if being frugal, I call it being cheap. The cards are meant for 1 person, so by letting your kids etc. share you are making the rest of us pay more. I know that soda syrup is very cheap, and I guess that's how the cruiselines make money. You could bring your own soda, and also that would teach your kids to be honest, not cheat. Sorry, but the idea of sharing when you know it's wrong, bugs me.

Ewheelock, You are so right.

Hurricane Sally, I think you are right too. Instead of thinking how cute and nice it is to share, teach your child that sharing is nice, but there are things not meant to share.

How can our kids of today learn when parents teach them to cheat, steal etc?

Katie

Well i dont want to get attacked for saying this, but...

When you think about it, a 2 liter bottle of soda on land is about a dollar. So really, if you were on a 7 day cruise for example, you would have to drink about 96 liters of soda to make it worth it. So wouldnt that mean that the cruiseline is really the one stealing from us?? And I would hardly consider the boy getting drinks for his friends to be "stealing" or "cheating". Nevermind the fact that at that age all he knows is that when he shows that card at the bars he gets soda, and i'm sure he didnt think about the money issue. He seems to have just been trying to be nice. And dont forget that the crew had no problem with it.

I like your strategy. You offend everyone in the first few hours of boarding and give cruisers plenty of things to post about once they return.:eek:

I wish I had your insightfulness.:rolleyes: I'm always concerned that I'm going to miss out on offending someone during the cruise. Perhaps I should bring my niece along as backup ammunition. Since I don't have kids of my own, I'll miss out on being one of those parents who doesn't supervise their children.:p

Good strategy with the Niece! You can fall back on..."It's not MY kid"

I would think if you brought that gull along on Formal night (with your tuxedo imprinted tee shirt) you could request the chef to prepare it and share with your table (I've heard it's nice sauteed in some diet Sprite... but that's soda you'll need a card). If they wont do it, deep fried on the balcony would work.

Welcome to the "GIT-R-DONE" Cruise. http://www.larrythecableguy.com/

When you think about it, a 2 liter bottle of soda on land is about a dollar. So really, if you were on a 7 day cruise for example, you would have to drink about 96 liters of soda to make it worth it. So wouldnt that mean that the cruiseline is really the one stealing from us?? And I would hardly consider the boy getting drinks for his friends to be "stealing" or "cheating". Nevermind the fact that at that age all he knows is that when he shows that card at the bars he gets soda, and i'm sure he didnt think about the money issue. He seems to have just been trying to be nice. And dont forget that the crew had no problem with it.

Please don't take this as an attack...

I think the cost comparision should be between resturant and not supermarket. When I eat out, I pay $2 to $2.25 for software, iced tea or coffee with free refills. If I order soda for every lunch and dinner on a 7-day cruise, I will have to pay $2.5 * 7 days * 2 meals/day = $35 + 15% tips. From my math, the cost of a soda card is pretty reasonable. In addition, I can get "free" soda throughout the cruise and not just during meal times.

When you think about it, a 2 liter bottle of soda on land is about a dollar. So really, if you were on a 7 day cruise for example, you would have to drink about 96 liters of soda to make it worth it. So wouldnt that mean that the cruiseline is really the one stealing from us??

Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you buy the soda card? If not, and you think it is over priced - don't buy it. If you buy it, then you are agreeing to the terms of the sale, which means you don't share the soda card.

Good strategy with the Niece! You can fall back on..."It's not MY kid"

I would think if you brought that gull along on Formal night (with your tuxedo imprinted tee shirt) you could request the chef to prepare it and share with your table (I've heard it's nice sauteed in some diet Sprite... but that's soda you'll need a card). If they wont do it, deep fried on the balcony would work.

Welcome to the "GIT-R-DONE" Cruise. http://www.larrythecableguy.com/

Wow! :eek: You're even more creative than I am. I never thought about the "it's not my kid" routine. Don't forget, "It's the kid's vacation, too!":D

As an aside, when I was on the Rhapsody, there were actually two gentlemen (perhaps a stretch of the word) who did arrive on formal night wearing the tuxedo imprinted shirts. :confused: Nothing was said of them and they were allowed to dine in the dining room, but I was stunned to see it.

Wow! :eek: You're even more creative than I am. I never thought about the "it's not my kid" routine. Don't forget, "It's the kid's vacation, too!":D

As an aside, when I was on the Rhapsody, there were actually two gentlemen (perhaps a stretch of the word) who did arrive on formal night wearing the tuxedo imprinted shirts. :confused: Nothing was said of them and they were allowed to dine in the dining room, but I was stunned to see it.

Apparently their sense of humor overwhelmed their common sense. ;)

Of course you come late for dinner every night, put your baby in the solarium pool who is NOT toilet trained, and have your kids run up and down the hallways late at night banging on cabin doors. Ebfurr, you can cruise with me anytime! :) Thanks for turning this thread into a joy to read.

Yeh, but at least they'd have the courtesy of wearing an expensive cowboy hat to compensate for the poor quality shirts:D

Well of course they wore their expensive cowboy hat. Mama always said to show respect and wear your best to a fancy dinner.

I want to try this - but not on formal night. The problem is, now I cannot find a "tux-Tshirt". T-shirts are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner. I would not try this on formal night, but perhaps on some other night. Of course I would bring something to put over the T-shirt just in case I got called on it.

Of course now it is not as interesting anymore, since someone else already tried it. Oh well, first I got to find a tux-Tshirt.

The cost is PER PERSON. For what we all pay to cruise, the cost of the soda cards is a drop in the bucket, and I can't believe how many people post about trying to sneak drinks for the whole family with one card. Maybe the people who do this are the same ones who lie about their children's ages to get a lower admission price to a movie or an amusement park. Bottom line, IT IS WRONG and it is a bad example to set for the children.

Are you not the same person who wanted to sneak a cork screw into your checked luggage so you can drink wine in your room and avoid the corkage fee?:confused:

Steve

I want to try this - but not on formal night. The problem is, now I cannot find a "tux-Tshirt". T-shirts are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner. I would not try this on formal night, but perhaps on some other night. Of course I would bring something to put over the T-shirt just in case I got called on it.

Of course now it is not as interesting anymore, since someone else already tried it. Oh well, first I got to find a tux-Tshirt.

To be serious (for only a brief time) I think it might be funny. You might want to put the thing you bring over it even if you don't get called on it. I think they might not call you as they'd rather not upset you. However, your fellow cruisers might not know you are just adding some levity to the situation. Possibly say "My bad, I thought it was formal night" and then putting the shirt over it. Or even just wear a nice sport coat with it.

Just my 1.5¢

Archived