Cruise Air Fare Questions

cruis247g

Hello all,

We have completed many ocean cruises, but are about to book our first river cruise and are incredibly excited! We have always booked our own air fare, but some of the add-on river cruise air fares are incredibly well priced. However, that being said, we're wondering if it's a good decision. I've read through many threads, but I have a few questions.

We're probably going to book a Christmas Markets cruise for our first river trip, even though we're drawn to tulips, France's wine country and many more! Also, I'm not sure if all of the cruise lines have different policies, but we're leaning toward Viking or AMA. We're looking at a french balcony or balcony, but not a suite, if that makes a difference.

If we book air fare through the cruise line, do we have any type of choice in our flights? That is, can we say that we want non-stop flights or that we don't want a 12 hour lay-over or that we wish to avoid a specific carrier, etc? If we're allowed any input, are the requests met or just "suggestions" that we make? It looks like Viking has some type of enhanced choice program, but some of the details were a bit confusing to me, and I'm not sure if AMA has anything similar. If we have input, do I simply go on the cruise website and choose flights or is it accomplished in another way?

If we wish to upgrade to business class, is that possible? If there is an upcharge, is it typically worth it or should we just book ourselves? We live on the east coast of the US, so sometimes we upgrade to business class for the overnight flight to Europe and take economy plus or something similar back to the US. Has anyone ever done something like this?

When does the cruise line typically book the air, that is, how close to the cruise date?

Forgive me for taking up so much of your time, but we truly appreciate any advice that you may have for us. Many thanks.

We are about to start out third Uniworld cruise. We have booked air with them for all three. I had checked with the airlines and picked the flights we wanted. We also wanted business class. In all cases we were booked on the flight and class we requested. Our upcoming cruise, the promotion was $1700 toward the cost of the airfare. What they charged us was the airlines price I had been quoted minus the $1700 promotion. I can vouch for Uniworld. I can not say the same for any other line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just did this with Crystal and Tauck. I can't remember now but one line had special Biz class pricing and the other was able to offer better than direct booking prices in Biz class. In both vases we were able to request routing and non-stop and we were offered choices. We saved a lot of money so it might be worth it to check airfare pricing with different cruiselines. The total package pricing might be more affordable on other cruiselines besides Viking and Ama. I think you would also choose coach or biz upfront.

In both cases we booked the cruise first and did not have to commit to the air until we saw the choices. The cruiseline gives you a day or two to decide once they give you the choices then you commit. With Crystal we paid the air portion in full upon booking and with Tauck we paid a deposit and the balance is due the same time as the cruise balance is due. Both lines offered the air booking as soon as flights were available to book, that is usually less than 330 days in advance. The process was easy and shouldn't be confusing but a good TA can be helpful.

When I've booked with Viking, you had the option to do their custom air for something like $100 and pick your flights. If you get a free air promotion or something similar with Viking, this is NOT an option. With the promotional air, you get what you get.

Also, if you have miles to burn and some cash, once the tickets are issued, you can call the airline and request an upgrade to business class using miles and dollars. You won't know if the upgrades go through until shortly before you fly.

Also, if you have miles to burn and some cash, once the tickets are issued, you can call the airline and request an upgrade to business class using miles and dollars. You won't know if the upgrades go through until shortly before you fly.

I think some fare classes are not upgradable, especially bulk fares but I really don't like the uncertainty of waiting for the upgrade anyway. I don't have the status I did when working and flying a lot and unfortunately I have a really low tolerance for long flights in coach. $100 to be able to pick your flights (in Biz class I presume) is a good deal if the ticket price is good.

When I've booked with Viking, you had the option to do their custom air for something like $100 and pick your flights. If you get a free air promotion or something similar with Viking, this is NOT an option. With the promotional air, you get what you get.

Thank you Fuel Science. One of the fares I was looking at was a discounted (not free, but inexpensive) fare from Viking. Although a good buy, it sounds like that might not be the best choice for us if it's one of the fares that is excluded from custom air. Now I know the correct question to ask the Viking rep about custom air fare. Thanks again!

I think some fare classes are not upgradable, especially bulk fares but I really don't like the uncertainty of waiting for the upgrade anyway. I don't have the status I did when working and flying a lot and unfortunately I have a really low tolerance for long flights in coach. $100 to be able to pick your flights (in Biz class I presume) is a good deal if the ticket price is good.

I agree!

Actually, that is not quite true. Our upcoming November Viking cruise included free air, and for $50 per person, we got significant say in our flights. Our TA scheduled a conference call with Viking's air department and they were very accommodating. They reserved the flights after we officially agreed to the itinerary, although the flights have not yet been paid for.

Lynn

Actually, that is not quite true. Our upcoming November Viking cruise included free air, and for $50 per person, we got significant say in our flights. Our TA scheduled a conference call with Viking's air department and they were very accommodating. They reserved the flights after we officially agreed to the itinerary, although the flights have not yet been paid for.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn. That's good to hear! Things must have changed. My post was based on a Tulip Time cruise three years ago and obviously out-of-date.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn. That would work well for us. We're willing to pay a fee for additional choice. We don't need an exact flight, but we do want to avoid a 30 hour trip from DC to Germany via Moscow or something like that :D, as often seem to be shown as the least expensive options on air fare websites.

I just spoke with a Viking rep and he seemed so accommodating that I was wondering if it was too good to be true! I have no experience with river cruising, but we have found that some ocean cruise line reps' info isn't accurate, so I was skeptical. Maybe I should have more faith in the river cruise lines!! Most of the time it doesn't really matter to us, and can sometimes leave us with a really funny story to tell at dinner, but It might take us a few nights of sleep to find the humor in a middle economy seat and a 12 hour layover.:D

Thanks again! I very much appreciate everyone's help!

Here is how the air program works with Viking on their promotions of free air or reduced air ($295 or $395 air, for example).

1. If you accept the free/discounted air promotion, you can do nothing and your air will be booked by Viking approximately 75 days before departure and sent to you; you have no say in the routing or the times, and you pay no extra.

2. You can choose to work with Viking's Custom Air department (through your travel agent, if you used one), and pay $50 per person to have a say in your routing and times. Viking has contracts with many major airlines, so they can most often accommodate your requests. If the routing you select is one they have a contract with, you can have this routing and pay $50 per person. If the flights you select are not with a contracted airline, or carry an upcharge (they are expensive) you will pay the difference between what Viking has budgeted for your flight and the flight you chose. A tip here, go online and have an idea of what flights you want and present them to Viking, see if they qualify for no upcharge; if you focus on flights on Delta, KLM, Air France you will have great success. You can do this 330 days before travel, have the tickets purchased by Viking (not just reserved), and be able to go online and upgrade yourself to Economy Comfort seats, or other options.

3. In addition, you can also tweak your arrival dates or cities, or departure dates or cities, this is called a Deviation. To do this you will work with Viking's Custom Air department and pay $50 pp to approve your routing, and also pay $100 per person for each deviation (before or after cruise deviation).

Another thing to consider is that the air, whether free or discounted, is from major gateways, when you make your booking there may be an air add on fee if you are coming from a smaller gateway. None of this has anything to do with custom air or air deviation, just fees on the original booking.

Here is my recent experience with custom air on my upcoming Basel to Amsterdam cruise in November. The people traveling are my husband and I, along with my Mom and her sister in another room. I handle all the travel details for everyone.

Me: I am going on a Med Cruise Rome to Barcelona, with a friend, just before the river cruise. I paid Viking $150 for me to be able to select my flights on Delta/KLM (custom air $50), and fly over 2 weeks early into Rome (deviation $100). I will then get myself from Barcelona to Basel when I debark the ocean cruise, I used a $40 flight on Vueling for this.

Husband: he is going to fly in a day early to meet me in Basel. I paid Viking $150 for him to be able to select his flights on Delta/KLM (custom air $50), and fly in a day early to Basel (deviation $100).

Mom & Aunt: they don't want to come in early, or stay on after the cruise, or fly in and out of any other cities, they are just coming in for the cruise and going home, but they wanted to be able to select their routing and flight times, and have it ticketed early to ensure there were seats available in Economy Comfort. I paid Viking $50 for each of them and selected their routing ($50 custom air). After it was ticketed, I went in to the airlines web site and paid the airline upgrade fee to upgrade them to Economy Comfort on the international legs.

Hope that helps.

Just a quick comment re: Viking Air. On our three cruises, we've purchased airfare through Viking due to the incredible promotional deals. We live in St. Louis, so the long haul flights are always from a different airport, but we've been very happy with all three itineraries. It usually involves a short flight via Delta to Detroit, then Europe from there. No complaints at all. I would imagine that paying the extra amount for Viking Air Plus (not sure if that's the official name) would allow you plenty of options - especially flying from the East Coast.

Happy Cruising!

Jeff

Sounds like Viking has some fees that Tauck does not have. We were able to fly into the port city as many days in advance as we wanted without an upcharge and Tauck also still pays for the airport transfer to our non-Tauck booked hotel. Same on the return. So it could still be worthwhile to check out the total packages offered.

No clue about AMA but we have used Viking Air multiple times. I agree with info posted here by Terry&Mike. I also feel that the $50/pp charge for Air Plus or Custom Air or whatever they are calling it this week is well worth the investment. Viking will often offer excellent prices on Business Class tickets as well.

I would suggest going online and pricing out the flights you want before you contact Viking. That way you will have a frame of reference and can give them your first and second choice of flights. We have always gotten our first choice of flights without any additional charge past the $50/pp custom air fee. I think generally if you can find a Delta, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa or United flight that will work for you they can get you booked.

A tip here, go online and have an idea of what flights you want and present them to Viking, see if they qualify for no upcharge; if you focus on flights on Delta, KLM, Air France you will have great success.

FYI, Viking also uses United air. The Viking air rep asked if I had particular flights or airlines that I would prefer. I responded that we were good with American, United and Delta, and would prefer to not have an upcharge, so to let me know what they could do. The rep came back about 30 seconds later with a flight itinerary. We tweaked the flights to Europe and she agreed that they were better flights and within the cost allowance. And the flights are with United.

Lynn

Many thanks to all! The information and your experiences are extremely helpful.

I'm looking at a Christmas 2018 cruise, so flight information is not yet available. However, if we are allowed to use the one of the major airlines mentioned above, there are likely to be reasonable options.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Viking Air

Our group is departing soon for the Bucharest to Budapest sailing on the Viking Lif

We are traveling from various departures here in the US on different dates. Some took the default flights that Viking scheduled, while others (at my suggestion) paid extra for specific airlines and dates.

Depending on the departure city, the default flights were on Delta and others United. Viking did have some issues with the default Delta flights for some of our travelers; due to Delta flight schedule changes.

As we are UA with Elite status, we chose our own dates and specific flights, ignoring Viking's suggestions for UA on our dates. We like longer connection times, and specific connecting cities. We paid the nominal extra fee and are happy with our choices. We also have paid the fee for stopovers in Paris prior to arrival in Bucharest, and also are getting there a day ahead, but staying at the same hotel that Viking arranged. Also, Viking could not handle the extra day, so we contacted the hotel directly after making the separate reservation, combining them so we would not have to switch rooms. The hotel responded almost immediately with our request.

The UA flights are on a Viking bulk fare, so no spend requirement is credited for future FF status, but we do get full mileage credit for the Mileage Plus program. Further, I asked UA to use award miles for upgrade to business class. After a few weeks of being on the wait list, we were notified that the upgrade was granted for our overnight flight from the west coast to Paris, so we are happy travelers.