Family excursions at Nassau and Freeport

swetag81

Hi Everyone,

We're going on our first carnival cruise with another family so there will be 8 of us total, 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 9, 7,7, 4). Our two ports will be Nassau and Freeport and we're looking into shore excursions to do with the whole group. Snorkling and Atlantis are out of the question so is there anything else that you all recommend?

TIA

Hi Everyone,

We're going on our first carnival cruise with another family so there will be 8 of us total, 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 9, 7,7, 4). Our two ports will be Nassau and Freeport and we're looking into shore excursions to do with the whole group. Snorkling and Atlantis are out of the question so is there anything else that you all recommend?

TIA

Stay on the ship and save your $$$ and enjoy the nearly empty ship.

We just got off the Dream last Sunday. I agree -- stay on the boat at Freeport. We had a snorkel excursion booked, but was canceled because of weather. The excursion we were talked into (beach + snorkeling) was a dud. No fish and the beach was not that great. We walked to the Junkanoo beach at Nassau. It was nice, but pretty crowded.

Stay on the ship and save your $$$ and enjoy the nearly empty ship.

I'd second this notion as well. Nassau & Freeport aren't the best 2 ports. Enjoy the empty ship and save money. Enjoy the empty pool and just relax.

Nassau, my friend and I did a island tour with 4 other couples, so there was 10 of us. It cost $20 pp and our guide took us all around Nassau. Did a quick tour at Atlantis, Queens Staircase, shopping, beach tour, conchi. After ward, we have plenty time left so we grabbed lunch at Senor Frogs.

Freeport, we got off the ship and shopped right there in the straw markets. And got back on for lunch and people watched those on the island.

I disagree with people who say don't get off the ship. We have yet to spend a day on the ship because for us, part of travel is seeing and experiencing new places and people. It has been a wonderful educational opportunity for the boys.

I suggest that you look at the ports of call boards but it is easy in Nassau to get a tour around the island to see the fort, rum factory, stairs and other island highlights. We have also really enjoyed the little zoo at Adastra Gardens. You can get some excellent local food at Junkanoo beach - within sight of the cruise ships. Lastly, look into the People to People program run on the island - it was wonderful!

In Freeport, at least grab a cab to the beach. Be ware that this is an industrial port so you cannot walk to any destination. There is a market in the area and you can have a nice beach day. Or how about a kayak trip, or again another island tour - there is some real natural beauty on this island.

You might find the Pirate museum in Nassau interesting. It is pretty cool for all ages and at around $13 a person I think it is pretty reasonably priced. You can easily walk there from the ship.

Are snorkeling and Atlantis out because they involve water? We are "swimming" with the dolphins in Freeport. Its cheaper to book directly with UNEXSO, but still a bit pricey. My DD (9) and DS (8) aren't strong swimmers so we opted to do the dolphin encounter which doesn't involve swimming (I believe its just 3 ft of water and I've seen many videos of little ones getting their dolphin kiss). Our upcoming cruise is only going to Princess Cays and Freeport so we are opting to spent only 2-3 hours, if that, at Princess Cays and enjoy the empty boat.

Regardless of what you do, I certainly wouldn't just stay on the boat. Explore the islands a little just to say you've been there. Go to the beach etc. After you've crossed it off your bucket list you can opt to stay on the boat, but if its your and/or your families first time to these islands try to enjoy them a little. Perhaps try some local food, go to the craft market, etc.

I disagree with people who say don't get off the ship. We have yet to spend a day on the ship because for us, part of travel is seeing and experiencing new places and people. It has been a wonderful educational opportunity for the boys.

I suggest that you look at the ports of call boards but it is easy in Nassau to get a tour around the island to see the fort, rum factory, stairs and other island highlights. We have also really enjoyed the little zoo at Adastra Gardens. You can get some excellent local food at Junkanoo beach - within sight of the cruise ships. Lastly, look into the People to People program run on the island - it was wonderful!

In Freeport, at least grab a cab to the beach. Be ware that this is an industrial port so you cannot walk to any destination. There is a market in the area and you can have a nice beach day. Or how about a kayak trip, or again another island tour - there is some real natural beauty on this island.

You've offered some great options!!

We have never been to freeport but in nassau if you like the beach i would suggest the hilton. Its within walking distance of the ship amd its very nice and relaxing. We bought their day pass for 65 and you get 40 in food and drinks credits. Its about a 15 minute walk from pier and on the way back we stopped and shopped at straw market . Personally i would never stay on board while at any port but especially any ports we have never been to.

Since you only have 2 stops and yes they are not the greatest, I would recommend Paradise Cove in Freeport. You said no snorkeling, but it is a great reef and you could just swim out a short distance and see turtles. Enter right from the shore. There is equipment and kayaks and a little beach. The owner was great and told the kids about how he is working to rebuild the reef there. There is a little restaurant and bar with kid friendly items too. It was a great day and kids and adults loved it. Very laid back. It was only about $20 last year and included transportation from port. If you google paradise cove Freeport you can check it out

I also agree with a previous post about the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau. We've been there a few times. It's an easy walk, very affordable, and the voucher you get back for food helps a lot. We snorkeled some, and my son used the kayak that was there at no cost. There is a nice pool also.

I also agree with a previous post about the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau. We've been there a few times. It's an easy walk, very affordable, and the voucher you get back for food helps a lot. We snorkeled some, and my son used the kayak that was there at no cost. There is a nice pool also.

For those that go to Hilton, do you buy passes ahead of time? Or just hope there are some available that day? Any refunds for bad weather?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And I agree with you.

The Hilton would be perfect...and fun for the kids. They have the various water toys for the kids, a freshwater pool, and they can order off a menu...which is always fun for a kid. Plus it is close enough that if one or two of the kids wear out, it would be very easy for one of the adults to take them back to the ship. No need for a cab...it is only a few blocks away.

I would consider the all-inclusive beach getaway in Freeport. It wasn't absolute paradise but the water was pretty, food was decent, waitstaff nice & attentive and there are those giant water toys out in the water. They look like enormous inflatables. Or look into a resort day pass, that's probably the better thing to do at both ports.