1st cruise

rhenson

Don't try to over plan! Just go with the flow and you will have a great time! My biggest piece of advice is to bring bring any OTC meds that you think you might need on board with you. The gift shops sell some stuff, but they are super expensive. I always bring ibuprofen, benadryl, heartburn meds and seasick meds. Have a great cruise!

Bring more sunscreen than you think you'll need and about the half the clothes/shoes you think you'll need. Bargain when buying souvenirs and don't let anyone push into purchasing anything. Don't be rude but be firm. Have a great time and try not to squeeze everything in or you'll feel like you need a vacation from your vacation. Relax and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are the suggestions I would give to you:

*If you need anything to do with your room ask your Steward the are always accommodating (even related to "special" requests you might have) - and you can have ice delivered too, just let them know when you would want it.

*Know that if you use your cell phone on the ship and are "roaming" off the ship it will be stupid expensive (this gets a lot of newbies)

*Be prepared for them to add "prepaid" gratuities to your account (this gets a lot of people!). These are the recommended gratuities they suggest you pay. You DO have the discretion of adjusting them up or down as you see fit (though unless you received very bad service, taking money away from the employees is kind of sucky as they work REALLY hard for their money). See guest services to do so if you wish.

*Do order whatever you want in the main dining room. If you want 3 appetizers order so, if you want two entrees you may do so. Also, be prepared on formal night with long pants for men, and nice capris or dress (at minimum) for women. Shorts may not fly (sometimes you can get in and they don't enforce the dress code strictly, but other times you will be turned away)

*Bring your own Tervis cup or similar for getting drinks from in the buffet (their cups are small). But PLEASE do not put your cup up to the dispenser and risk spreading your germs.... fill a clean glass they provide and then dump it into your cup.

*Avail yourself of the hand sanitizing stations all around the ship especially before eating to help make sure no one in your group gets a "bug."

These are my main suggestions for a newbie! MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN!

Don't try to over plan! Just go with the flow and you will have a great time! My biggest piece of advice is to bring bring any OTC meds that you think you might need on board with you. The gift shops sell some stuff, but they are super expensive. I always bring ibuprofen, benadryl, heartburn meds and seasick meds. Have a great cruise!

I would add dayquil/nyquil gel pills because I caught a little of an allergy/cold from all the smoke around and it was $14 for 8 pills....

Take plenty OTC meds you may need like Tylenol, Benadryl, etc..it is of course outrageously priced in the Fun Shop. We had no idea until the last day, of our first cruise, that they had breakfast in the MDR as well. I don't use Carnival to plan my Excursions b/c they are always a lot more expensive than if I book them myself. I just do a lot of research to make sure it's a reputable company that I'm dealing with before booking my excursion. Have fun and enjoy!

There is a first time cruisers forum on Cruise Critic called "New Cruisers" that you will probably enjoy. Check the general Boards page to find it. As far as packing lists go, google Calgon's packing list just for some ideas. Tweak it to what suits you. Some of my favorite newbie tips:

- As a preventative measure, bring sea sickness medication. I've taken crystallized ginger (ginger tablets or tea are ok too) everyday a few days before the cruise and never experienced sea sickness. I also recommend sea bands which I know from experience work great for nausea (morning sickness was awful with my son, I couldn't survive without these). Sea bands are especially great because they aren't medication, they just press on a pressure point. This way you won't have any negative side affects. And of course, there is good ole' drammamine. They have cheap travel pack at any pharmacy. If you are prone to motion sickness I would see about getting the patch. An on board trick I've heard is to eat green apples as well.

- Bring a power strip to charge electronics, but not a surge protection one. A cheap-o one at the dollar store is fine (they literally give you one outlet in the cabin which can pose a problem in today's technical world.).

-No clothing irons are allowed, but hair dryers, flat irons etc. are. Laundry rooms have ironing stations.

-Bring a gift card to make sure the lights stay on when you are in the room (some people leave them on when they are out to charge items- but I'm not stepping into this controversy LOL) and to control the safe. They say don't use your Sign and Sail card as it can be demagnetized, ummm, I would rather that demagnetize than my Amex! At least Guest Services can give me a new one!

-I recommend an over the door shoe holder. Some think its overkill, but the bathrooms have very little counter space and there is very little table space in the cabin. It has worked out really well for us in the past with all my hair trinkets, makeup, jewelry etc.

-Sign and Sail card holder: Some wear lanyards around their necks, some wear spiral wristlet lanyards, some ladies bring wristlet purses- whatever floats your boat. Think about how you want to carry your sign and sail card and be prepared before getting on the ship. You will use it for everything from buying a drink to getting in your room so having it handy AND secure is ideal. As for me, I wear mine on a spiral wristlet lanyard and carry a wristlet purse. I like my wristlet purse as I can stuff my sign and sail card with the spiral lanyard in it and it also holds little things like my chapstick. Having the card on my spiral wristlet lanyard is great to take a dip in the pool or to just run out of the room really quickly (for instance, going to the laundry room to iron) etc.

-Highlighters- 2 colors. Yes, some ships have the Carnival HUB app, but I like the old fashioned paper brochure that is delivered to your room daily called the Fun Times. It lists the schedule for the entire day. I use a blue highlighter for my husband, pink for me, and whatever turns purple we both go to.

-Always double check to see if you can get an excursion cheaper than Carnival. Factor in travel time, security etc. For instance, in Key West we went parasailing for half the cost Carnival was charging for the same exact company. We literally went parasailing with our shipmates. For more difficult excursions, such as a cave tour, I always book with Carnival. Having the peace of mind that if my bus breaks down on a 5 hr excursion I won't be left is worth the extra cost.

-Towel clips- Any Walmart or Target has these. It can get really windy, especially if the ship is moving and you are on the upper decks.

-Room service is free. The menu used to offer a lot more items (like the yummy shrimp salad sandwich) but they cut it down to basic items like BLT, ham and cheese etc. They do offer some pay items such as quesadillas for like $5

- you can bring 12 CAN sodas on board per person and 1 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult 21 +. I suggest you order a case of bottled water (I believe it is really cheap, like 12 for $4 or so) from the fun shops online to be delivered to your room ahead of time.

-Small (no bigger than 12 x12) collapsible cooler to hold your drinks. Your room steward can fill it with ice.

-If you like chocolate, they have a chocolate buffet with a chocolate fountain etc. on the last sea day. Also, be sure to check out the sail away party and fiesta night in the Fun Times. Its a great time for all ages to do fun dances etc.

Looking at this list I'm like wow- looks like a lot. But its really not- I never use more than a carry-on luggage and a tote bag as my purse- even for 7 day cruises. Everything I've mentioned here is really tiny or can roll up really tiny.

Oh, most important tip: bring money, cards, passport/birth certificate, and a smile and all will be well! Everything else can be improvised!

I prefer to bring a long extension cord instead of a power strip. The one I use is 6 or 8 ft. long. Plus one of those 3-way outlet adapters that turns one plug into 3. They come in different shapes/sizes. I like the cord because I bring a small portable fan (for white noise at night and cooling if necessary). The long extension cord allows me to put the fan right by the bed. And my wife uses it for her curling iron in the bathroom (it didn't have an outlet in there) instead of sitting at the vanity in the main part of the cabin. Or she'd put the fan in there to air it out while getting ready after a shower. It's a little easier to pack than a power strip, takes up less space in my luggage, and obviously stretches farther. The 3-way adapter then gave us enough outlets to charge our devices and then some. But it's totally up to you. If you take an extension cord, it doesn't have to be new, but it needs to be in good shape or they might not allow it on board. Same goes for a power strip...cannot be surge protected and needs to be in good condition.

Along the right side of this page, near the top, are all the Carnival ships listed in the "Carnival Cruise Lines" box. Click on the ship you're sailing on and it will sort all of the threads in this forum that pertain to that ship. Makes it a little easier to find a lot of good information that way. Have fun!

I've never been fond of the "pack light" or "bring half the clothes" advice. It's one of those things that works for some, but not for others. I know some people do overpack, but in the end, it's a preference. Most people will say you're going to be in your swimwear all day, so you don't need as many clothes. The question is, are you going to be in your swimwear all day? If not, then it doesn't apply. I tend to sweat, so I like having extra shirts. If I can fit it into my one piece of checked luggage, then I'm going to take it because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. We don't buy a lot of souvenirs, so we don't need too much extra space for the return. If I'm taking that bag anyway, why not get the most out of it? You're probably going to have casual clothes for the daytime, something a little nicer for dinner in the MDR, and more formal wear if you plan on attending elegant night in the MDR. Don't worry if you pack too much the first time. That just means you'll know where to make adjustments next time.

Bring half the clothes you think you need.

Take an extra empty duffle bag to have a way to carry off purchases or souveigners

Lol. So true. I always over pack. Got my kids 6 shirts, 6 shorts, 6 tank tops, 3 bathing suits, 3 dresses, 3 flip-flops, tennis shoes, dress shoes. Way too much. Lol

here's my two cents

you mentioned "we" so put one of each of your outfits in your carry on in case something happens to your luggage and its not in your room by the time you want it.

bring extra sunscreen and otc meds.

definitely relax. you're on vacation, so don't rush trying to get everything in. just let the days and nights flow and if you're tired, skip something and take a nap.

take pics at sunset/sunrise (if you're awake for it). you can remember the feeling of the cruise when you're home afterwards through these.

haggle your souvenirs in a port. most of the time the prices are flexible!

eat at Guy's Burger, it's really good. haha

have fun! enjoy yourself! let vacation be a vacation for you.(:

All the packing advice is valid.

Do pack any and all OTC meds, chips, and other goodies. What the ship charges for this stuff is almost criminal.

AND, try to remember you can't "do it all", give yourself time to relax!;)

Go into it with an open mind. Expect the unexpected. Cruises are adventures, and they don't always go as planned. Sometimes ports get cancelled, switched around or replaced. But as long as you take it all in stride, you'll have a great time. Enjoy your cruise!

Oh, and the #1 best piece of advice I can give you is to plan your next cruise now. Because you WILL get addicted. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great advise Be Patient ,extra drugs ,small bills for tips, and if you are thrifty(frugal/cheap) carry on your own soda.I try to pay for everything before I leave and get about 5-800 in AARP Carnival gift cards to put down on account when I board.I hate surprise bills at the end and closely monitor my account at the kiosk at least every other day. I purposely do not pack as many t-shirts and buy at the ports as we stop at them. This way it frees up room and also I get a souvenir The collapsible bag the soda is carried on is used for other souvenirs and miscellaneous collected while on your cruise.I go looking to have fun and try to even when a debbie or don downer wants to spoil my fun.Its your cruise too make it fun!