Balcony or Oceanview?

xbriannao

My DH and I are booking our next cruise and we're torn. We ultimately want the balcony. It's a bit pricey. We can either book an OV and upgrade later or book the balcony now.

The balcony is more expensive but there's one that we feel is a little bonus, even though it's the same price as the other balcony's (it's on the side, but the last one back so we can look over and back and see the wake of the ship, rather than other balconies being on both sides.)

The oceanview is more in our price range and we will always be able to upgrade to a balcony if we want, and it may even be a little discounted.

We can technically afford the balcony, but it's just some sticker shock, lol. and we would still be happy with an oceanview, but the remnant thoughts of man i wish i had a balcony will still be there.

BASICALLY should we book the balcony now to get that certain one, or should we wait and get the more comfortable in price one and eventually upgrade if we want?

We're torn, and so we need your expertise to help! What do you think?

There is NOTHING like a balcony at night, after a great meal, drinks, and some fun entertainment. The balcony at night is the antithesis of all of the activity on the ship during the day.................The hissing ocean, lights in the distance...... peace.

GET THE BALCONY!!!!

We had only sailed in insides and OV until our last cruise on HAL. Had an inside booked and got an offer to upgrade 2 weeks before sailing to a balcony for only $20 more pp total. Now we are spoiled and have balconies booked for our all our upcoming cruises.

That said, all our upcoming cruises are Caribbean with at least 2 or more sea days. We LOVE sea days and really enjoyed reading out on the balcony with a glass of wine just enjoying the view. So my advice would be to also take the itinerary and number of sea days into account as well. If it is super port intensive maybe a balcony is not worth the extra cost to you. And like you mentioned if you book an OV you may be able to upgrade to a balcony for a good deal later. However if you have your heart set on a specific balcony cabin and are the type to have regrets, then I'd go for it! :-)

I love picking out the cabin but it is also always so nerve wrecking....lol

I have NOT had a balcony, so I can not speak to that. This last cruise on the Conquest we did have a great ocean view. The room was 2473. Last room on the starboard side. Two windows. Super quiet, except for some minor vibrations during docking. If this room or the mirror image on the port side is open on other similar ships, we will grab it. We are booked in an inside spa room this next go round. Will stick with this room unless the upgrade ferry upgrades us to the spa balcony. XX

good luck with your choice.

We had only sailed in insides and OV until our last cruise on HAL. Had an inside booked and got an offer to upgrade 2 weeks before sailing to a balcony for only $20 more pp total. Now we are spoiled and have balconies booked for our all our upcoming cruises.

That said, all our upcoming cruises are Caribbean with at least 2 or more sea days. We LOVE sea days and really enjoyed reading out on the balcony with a glass of wine just enjoying the view. So my advice would be to also take the itinerary and number of sea days into account as well. If it is super port intensive maybe a balcony is not worth the extra cost to you. And like you mentioned if you book an OV you may be able to upgrade to a balcony for a good deal later. However if you have your heart set on a specific balcony cabin and are the type to have regrets, then I'd go for it! :-)

I love picking out the cabin but it is also always so nerve wrecking....lol

I totally agree! I think we both really want this balcony, but we just have to convince ourselves to get it. We're the type to make the best of any situation, but that lingering thought of what could have been will be present if we don't have it. It won't ruin our cruise to not have it, but it would be niceeee. We only have one sea day, however one of the ports we aren't sure if we want to spend much time at.

Ahh decisions, decisions.

Hi,

We've stayed in Owners Suites ( RCCL), Grand Suite, JS, Balcony, AFT Wrap ( LOVE ❤️) Porthole, Interior, and Aft Extended Balcony. In no particular order. I just love to cruise, so I book what's affordable at the time. I'm really interested in trying the Cove Balcony too.

The last cruise on Elation in February a couple months ago was tough. Going to the Caribbean and NOT having our own Balcony? Nope, won't happen again.

For our Alaskan cruise we booked the OS, wasted dollars. We just hardly used this giant Balcony, too darn cold! Live & Learn.

Next cruise is next year. Already booked our Balcony for this Caribbean cruise.

My suggestion to you ......book what you WANT.

Have a great upcoming cruise !!

Edited by Markmom18

I always base my decision on budget. If the balcony is affordable without constricting other areas of the cruise we get it. If it is an occasion where it is super expensive I will usually look to an OV or even an inside with portholes.

I love the balcony but I will choose a better overall trip every time over spending the majority of the budget on the cabin.

Your decision may have been made for you. I find that any unique stateroom books quickly. Those 4K between the lifeboats on the Spirt Class or the Grand Scenic Ocean Views on the Conquest class. Gone in the blink of an eye.

If you found that "perfect" spot my suggestion is book it NOW. You can't count on it being there when you choose to upgrade.

Whichever you choose have a great cruise.

That "L Shaped" balcony is sought after by many of us; it's the same price as a normal balcony but is twice as long. The "trade-off" is that the room is smaller, and depending on the ship, some do not have couches. Several people have an issue with the smaller room itself, but for us, we like the long hall insulating us from the others and the smaller room. We all but live on our balcony and it is wonderful to have a lounger in addition to the two chair.s

So, if this is the balcony you want, you should book it now.

That "L Shaped" balcony is sought after by many of us; it's the same price as a normal balcony but is twice as long. The "trade-off" is that the room is smaller, and depending on the ship, some do not have couches. Several people have an issue with the smaller room itself, but for us, we like the long hall insulating us from the others and the smaller room. We all but live on our balcony and it is wonderful to have a lounger in addition to the two chair.s

So, if this is the balcony you want, you should book it now.

Yes, the room probably will be smaller and laid out differently than the outside or a standard balcony.

We went for the standard balcony midship to get the sofa area.

OP doesn't say what the price difference is. The difference in price is just for the room, the food and entertainment is the same for those in inside cabins on up. When money is tight, it can be a tough decision.

I'm sitting on my balcony writing this post, enjoying a lazy sea day, watching the ocean go by. I personally wouldn't cruise without a balcony room, but fully understand budgetary constraints. When you need a quiet (no people noise) getaway, it's a wonderful haven.

We have been on 3 cruises, going on the 4th in July. 1st 3 were standard balcony cabins. This time we got a cove balcony, I can't wait! I have looked at other cabins, balcony is the only way for us!

I can't speak to the other cabins because i have never been on any of them a Balcony is our preference but that may change we have booked a Havana Cabana on the Horizon when i book a cruise i do not settle for the other cabins i book a year or two out to get the Balcony cabin i want.clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Balcony is the only way. Did ocean view first cruise. Balcony second. Worth every penny. It usually isn't that much more. Maybe a couple hundred.

It depends on the cruise. For our 14 night cruise on the Breeze next year we looked at booking the same cove we had when we sailed the Breeze before. TOTAL STICKER SHOCK. So we decided on a deluxe ocean view. It was almost $1000 more for the cove. There is just so much more we could do with that $1000. Did not feel it would be worth that much more at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice and comments. What ended up happening was we were looking at one cruise on the fascination where we wanted either an ov or a balcony and we found the same itinerary, same room, just a little different dates where the balcony was the price of an ov on the victory. So we got the balcony on the victory!

Thanks again for all your input, you made me want the balcony even more! And I'm glad I got one!(:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice and comments. What ended up happening was we were looking at one cruise on the fascination where we wanted either an ov or a balcony and we found the same itinerary, same room, just a little different dates where the balcony was the price of an ov on the victory. So we got the balcony on the victory!

Thanks again for all your input, you made me want the balcony even more! And I'm glad I got one!(:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You will love your balcony and will probably book one on all your future cruises! So private, peaceful, and relaxing!

I'm perfectly happy in an inside or OV cabin. I only require balconies for special scenic itineraries, like Alaska or the Panama Canal, or if we have friends in a balcony cabin, and we want to be next to them.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Enjoy!

Edited by VASOXFANN