Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

Thank you for posting all of this! I'm paranoid & printed the certification (both the submitted edoc & the old one where you had to sign it and fax it). I always make sure I have everything printed. 99% of the time I don't need it but that 1% makes it worth while.

Thanks again!

Jenna

I totally agree I had rather have it and not need is a need it and not have it!!!

Following.

Can you post pics of the wine lists. We're interested in seeing the quality of wines onboard. Not sure if we should just bring or own and pay the corkage fee.

What's the name of the Cruise Director? Is he/she on all the cruises to Cuba this year?

Is the Muster Drill outside?!? Egad! How dreadful.

I have always maintained that the Muster Drill is the absolute worst part of a cruise. It is only tolerable after having a few drinks.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Can't wait to see your review! We aren't sailing until October, but have so many questions! I'll try and list them before you post in case you can answer any :

1) As everyone else said, I decided to let Norwegian obtain the Visa's, but don't see where I get that paperwork on line? (oops see you answered that one)

2) Is the Norwegian dock in Havana a tender or pier situation?

3) What time were you actually able to get off the ship both days in Havana? (I talked to a non Norwegian tour operator and they said they had heard it was sometimes taking 2-3 hours to get through customs on the other ships.

4) I didn't see it written, but the travel person told me it was illegal to take the Cuban money back on the ship - is that the case? If so wondering where you converted back before getting on.

5) Once you took you tour, were you able to walk around near the port, or did everything you did have to be on a tour to be OFAC compliant?

6) If anyone does the Vinales Valley or Modern Havana in an American Classic excursion would love to hear about it!

7) What show did they have? Didn't know if the 4 nights had the Broadway type shows or not.

8) Did you have a specific time to be back on the boat the first day? or not since it was an overnight docking.

9) It shows leaving at 5pm the second day, what time did you have to be back on the boat?

10) Any tourists dos and don'ts you didn't know about before going (not to wear something particular etc)

Sorry for so many questions, very excited about this one!

There is no question that the muster drill is an important part of cruise safety, but standing in the 90 degree sun on the promenade deck is not the best way to start your cruise. Then you have the folks who won’t stop chatting away during the presentation.

I loved when my wife looked at me and said loudly, “Remember those faces – We will throw them off the life boat first! ” She got a surprisingly good amount of support from those around us.

Right afterwards, we headed up to Champs, but we did not really see anyone that seemed to be from Cruise Critic, so we left after few minutes of waiting and looking around at people to head to the aft promenade wrap around. Here, we watched the sailaway and loved the sight of watching the Miami skyline getting smaller and smaller in the distance. We did a few fb live videos for our friends and family, as well as started taking photos .

f43f3e605d6b6558d4d2db98da3748d5.jpg

Pool deck at the start of sailaway (shortly after muster drill)

4884b68993dc6e76c8534b6fe3ee55b9.jpg

This building is where we enjoyed our lunch yesterday and where you can get some of that yummy Blueberry Buckle!

3b06edd4593c334e92ffd0e06f9423a7.jpg

Miami Beach

6273af48635071cebec27c50230dafa4.jpg

South Pointe Pier

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We'll be sailing on the Sky in June, so I would think that the CD on this cruise is the same as the one that will be on ours. That's why I am interested in the name of the Cruise Director on this sailing. I'd like to see who it is, if possible.

We'll be sailing on the Sky in June, so I would think that the CD on this cruise is the same as the one that will be on ours. That's why I am interested in the name of the Cruise Director on this sailing. I'd like to see who it is, if possible.

The Freestyle Daily says Tom is the CD.

I'm sailing on May 15 and have a tour scheduled on arrival. My question is how I'll be able to convert to Cuban currency prior to the tour. Is there a money exchange on the pier? A bank? Distance? Time involved in getting Cuban Money?

Is the Muster Drill outside?!? Egad! How dreadful.

I have always maintained that the Muster Drill is the absolute worst part of a cruise. It is only tolerable after having a few drinks.

Does anyone else have this problem?

No...I look at it as a necessity. If you need a few drinks to get through it, how many will you need if you have to find your life boat in a real emergency?? :confused: