Camera advice

saffy12

In preparation for our upcoming Alaskan cruise in August, I have decided it's time to update my old trusty 5mp Olympus camera. She's done well for me, but is 15 years old now, so it's time for me to get something a bit newer.

Specifically, after reading all the trip reports and seeing close up pictures of wildlife, I want to find something with a good optical zoom. Other than that, what I want is something that costs $200, fits in my pocket, and requires no thought before taking award winning photos! Obviously, that's a bit tongue in cheek, but really, a small point-and-shoot that doesn't require too much $ (yes, I can up the budget, but don't want to be spending $1000) or too much thought to use, but will take pictures better than either my phone or current camera will (otherwise, I don't need to bother). Does anyone have suggestions what I should be looking at to fit that bill?

I know there is a camera board here too, but have seen so many amazing pictures here, and I want the experience specifically from those who have gone on Alaskan cruises to understand the wildlife prospective.

thank you!

Hi. I just purchased a Canon SX720. It has a 40X optical zoom and takes great photos. It cost $420 Canadian so that would be about $350US.

We are going on a 28 day cruise around Austrailia in October and I wanted a good point and shoot for that. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Good luck choosing yours.

I´m happy with my Panasonic cameras. My current one is the Panasonic Lumix DMC TX71 (you might have different numbers). The current model is TX81 but by June or July the TX91 is coming out - so you might get a good deal on the "older 81". There´s also a 101 but that model has no big zoom (24 - 250 mm - the TX81 and 91 have 24 - 720 mm).

Works well for the photos on my website :D. My photos might not be award winnig ... I´d call them "documentary" ;).

steamboats

Thanks for the relpies - those both look like what I'm looking for. The Panasonic especially interests me for the price, but I'm seeing reviews that say it can only be charged in the camera. Is that accurate? I always like to have a spare battery so one can be in use while the other is charging.... If that's not possible I might as well just stick with my phone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I bought a Nikon P610, I was waiitng for the new B700 to come out but it kept getting delayed so I bought the p610 and I love it. It has 60X zoom and the new B700 has like 83x zoom.

I bought the predecessor, the Nikon Coolpix P600 and love it. The 60x zoom is fantastic. Highly recommend it. I purchased an extra battery and keep it handy if needed.

Paul

Thanks for the relpies - those both look like what I'm looking for. The Panasonic especially interests me for the price, but I'm seeing reviews that say it can only be charged in the camera. Is that accurate? I always like to have a spare battery so one can be in use while the other is charging.... If that's not possible I might as well just stick with my phone.

Yes, the camera doesn´t come with a separate charger. I bought a package with a separate charger and two spare batteries. So I have 3 batteries for my camera (and I need them - o.k. I take tons of photos).

steamboats

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L840 before a trip to Yellowstone last October and was quite pleased with it. It "only" has a 20x optical zoom but my husband has used it to take great photos of the full moon, showing the craters clearly, and it's very close to your price range (just under $250 at Walmart). I upgraded to a D3400 (lovely camera but way out of your price range) and my husband snagged the Coolpix as *his* new camera. ;)

Amazon has an external charger for about 20 dollars with batteries...I bought that so I can bring extra charged battery with me..now I need to get more memory cards..

I purchased a couple of extra batteries that came with a charger off of Amazon. So while the OE battery that comes with the camera can only be charged IN the camera, they do sell chargers that will charge outside of the camera

And I HIGHLY recommend not relying solely on your cellphone camera for Alaska.

I'm so excited! The Panasonic went down in price again on the Costco website, so I called a local store. They were able to track down one at a different store nearby and they are holding it for me to pick up tonight!

I'm so excited! The Panasonic went down in price again on the Costco website, so I called a local store. They were able to track down one at a different store nearby and they are holding it for me to pick up tonight!

That is a great price! I may try to hit Costco this weekend.