Future cruise on Oceania for Cuba sailing.

Jetswdo

We are just now investigating going on the Sirena, checking out sailing dates, etc.

Is it possible for American citizens to still be able to enjoy the beaches and snorkeling that Cuba offers?

We would like some "down time" besides cultural activites. I am totally ignorant about this- all I can find is the information regarding people-2-people excursions, which look interesting. Appreciate any knowledge that fellow cruise critic persons can inform me. Thanks, Anita

You could try checking with the OFAC but then again, read what was reported in the Washington Post:

Washington Post: What qualifies as people-to-people travel?

Tom Popper: OFAC has never defined it, per se, in their own language. The bottom line is for a people-to-people trip to be compliant — the activities or the trip in its entirety can’t be for tourism purposes. What we do with our insightCuba groups is we bring them to meet with normal Cuban people in normal life settings, whether it’s a school or a community project — and there are so many in Cuba that are amazing — meeting with artists and musicians and so forth. The intent is to not just do tourist activities but to meet Cuban people and to exchange, talk about life in the United States, learn about life in Cuba. This can be done across the country.

Play it safe, double check with OFAC

If you have further questions about US government rules for legal Cuba travel you must call OFAC directly at 1-800-540-6322 or visit the OFAC website.

We are just now investigating going on the Sirena, checking out sailing dates, etc.

Is it possible for American citizens to still be able to enjoy the beaches and snorkeling that Cuba offers?

We would like some "down time" besides cultural activites. I am totally ignorant about this- all I can find is the information regarding people-2-people excursions, which look interesting. Appreciate any knowledge that fellow cruise critic persons can inform me. Thanks, Anita

We did a People to People land visit, so there was no beach time in our Cuban experience, but I have some useful information about Havana learned from our guide. The beaches in Havana are rocky and are used only by those unable to get to the more desirable beaches farther from the city.

If you learn you can legally go to the beach, Playas del Este may be a compromise since it is 30 minutes away from Havana. It is not the quality beach you're hoping for, but there is some sand. Playas del Este is patronized by the Cuban residents and you'll get a good insight into the culture

Varadero, is the tourist beach, a gorgeous stretch of white sand 12-mile beach 2 + hour drive (each way) from Havana.

does not appear beach time is one of the 12 categories for visiting Cuba

so maybe Cuba is not for you

You are responsible for keeping notes on whee & what you do & I am not sure if the US government has people checking to make sure you followed the rules or not

does not appear beach time is one of the 12 categories for visiting Cuba

so maybe Cuba is not for you

You are responsible for keeping notes on whee & what you do & I am not sure if the US government has people checking to make sure you followed the rules or not

I have to laugh at these comments about "big" government watching over you when travelling to Cuba! Americans have been travelling to Cuba for vacations for decades. When we were there, about 20% of our plane were Americans who flew up to Canada and then took a flight to Cuba for a vacation. Cuba has NOT been stamping passports for decades, even for us Canadians.

Okay, so if you are in Havana, and have a a few extra hours, grab a taxi and go to Veradero. The best beach near Havana. It would be worth the trip and don't worry about your government asking you where you were:).

Enjoy Cuba before the onslaught of Americans ruin it.

I have to laugh at these comments about "big" government watching over you when travelling to Cuba! Americans have been travelling to Cuba for vacations for decades.

I was being facetious :rolleyes:

Of course the US government does not have any idea what you do when you are in Cuba

They tell you that you have to keep a list of your time in Cuba to make sure it conforms to their rules to scare Americans into thinking they are being watched

As non US citizens we have enjoyed Cuba for many years without restrictions

I was being facetious :rolleyes:

Of course the US government does not have any idea what you do when you are in Cuba

They tell you that you have to keep a list of your time in Cuba to make sure it conforms to their rules to scare Americans into thinking they are being watched

As non US citizens we have enjoyed Cuba for many years without restrictions

In am sure the U.S. Government has a lot more important things to do than watch what I do in Cuba.

This may sound stupid, so I apologize in advance--- is there any place that states that Americans can't use the beaches in Cuba- I don't mean specifically Havana- just wherever- The person that stated " Cuba isn't for you." What the heck???

All I am trying to do is get ACURATE information, before we decide what we want to do. I'm asking because, Cuba is supposed to have some wonderful snorkeling spots, and we would like to do that besides doing cultural things. We are retired teachers and enjoy learning about different cultures. So that certainly is not an issue for us. If Americans are not allowed to have some down time in Cuba, I certainly am not going to break any laws or cause any problems. I just want to know the facts. That is all.

The facts are simple, go and have a great time in Cuba! All Cuba beaches are public and the Cuban people have never had a problem with Americans, only with your government.Google Cuba tourism for where the best water sports are and just ignore any negative comments on restrictions on Americans in Cuba.

You will have a great time.

This may sound stupid, so I apologize in advance--- is there any place that states that Americans can't use the beaches in Cuba- I don't mean specifically Havana- just wherever- The person that stated " Cuba isn't for you." What the heck???

All I am trying to do is get ACURATE information, before we decide what we want to do. I'm asking because, Cuba is supposed to have some wonderful snorkeling spots, and we would like to do that besides doing cultural things. We are retired teachers and enjoy learning about different cultures. So that certainly is not an issue for us. If Americans are not allowed to have some down time in Cuba, I certainly am not going to break any laws or cause any problems. I just want to know the facts. That is all.

Come on, give me a break. Do you think they are going to put us in jail? Get real.

I would doubt any US authorities are going to be following you around

I am not sure I would take a taxi 90 min to Varadaro although it is a super nice beach area

You're asking for facts and here they are. What follows is from the US Embassy in Cuba's web site as of today's date:

"Travel to Cuba for tourist activities remains prohibited by statute. However, the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued general licenses for 12 categories of travel. Individuals who meet the regulatory conditions of the general license they seek to travel under do not need to apply for an additional license from OFAC to travel to Cuba. The 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba are: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials; and certain authorized export transactions."

Tourism isn't one of the 12 official categories of authorized travel. That said, do I think there will be any consequences if you spend one of your days in port on the beach? No, but I recommend that you not make beach time and snorkeling the focus of your time in Cuba. From what you've written, that doesn't appear to be a problem. Touring the historic sites, learning the history, eating in local restaurants, attending concerts all qualify as activities "intended to enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence." (Note: The quoted material is from an online USNew article. Unfortunately, the article does not provide the original source of the policy statement.)

In December 2015, when I visited, there were restrictions on the amount/cost of rum and cigars that could be brought back into the US. The customs officers were actively asking every returning citizen about their rum/cigar purchases. Today's equivalent of yesterday's rum/cigar regulations would be sightseeing activities VS cultural activities. Just be certain you're prepared to list the acceptable activities you did and say nothing about the diving/beach time. You're going to want to walk the streets of Old Havana or take a ride in a 50s era car or visit a rum or cigar factory or attend a performance of Afro-Cuban music and dance.

https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/traveling-to-cuba/

Edited by Pet Nit Noy